The h2g2 Post 19.04.10

1 Conversation




Posted: 19th April 2010


 

 

Earth Day

There was quite a bit of mention of Earth Day last week. I looked it up, I hadn't been aware of it before. It seems to be quite a big day in the USA, and not a new one, either. Apparently, it takes place on 22nd April each year. I even found some events which are going to take place in several German cities, one in my home town. However, it is scheduled from 10am to 2pm. I wonder who – except for students – can go there on a workday?

Eyjafjallajökull blowing up and disrupting nearly all air traffic in Europe seems to be a timely reminder of the aims of Earth Day. Do we really need all those planes? Well, I don't use a plane very often, but I certainly hope I will be able to fly with one when I want to go to London in about four weeks. And I very much hope that my friends will be able to fly here this weekend, for the German meet.

I'm optimistic, though. On Saturday, Lufthansa had ten planes fly from Munich to Frankfurt to have them at the ready once the aircraft grounding is lifted. I read that the bosses at Lufthansa are quite annoyed about the ban. They doubt it is necessary, and they complain about the fact that the decision is based on just one source. They thoroughly checked the planes which had come from Munich on Saturday, and they say no plane had as much a a scratch. They are very keen to take up business again, and I've seen various planes fly into Frankfurt yesterday evening – ash or no ash.

Which reminds me of a joke I read (posted by Phil who had found it on Twitter):

UK to Iceland: We said "Send cash!"

And with that I'll leave you - well, not quite. Just a reminder: if you have anything that needs blobbing for h2g2's birthday issue on 3rd May, it should be with us no later than Tuesday, 27th April.


Bel


 

 

HOSTILE PLANET


 

 

 

 
IDIOTIC

 

 

 

 

 

 

IT'S ANOTHER MAGIC


 

 

 

 

 

 

OCCUPATIONS


 

 

 

 

  • The h2g2 Poem

  • ... whereas Fizzymouse doesn't know how to
    DIY... (from the Post archives)


 

 
LET THE MUSIC FLOW

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
COMMUNITY

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION

 

 


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A65324469

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more