A Conversation for The Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pie

Fray Bentos is...

Post 1

Sol

... not a name I ever associated with foreign exotic climes.

We always used to go on self catering holidays in the UK when I was a kid. My mother's solution to the issue of who would do the cooking (and shopping) was to pile the car with (all the different flavours of) Fray Bentos pies. And Smash*.

So 'Fray Bentos' is the taste of summer holidays for me. I have to restrain myself from buying them *as a treat* sometimes.

Anyway, I came across this while looking for a recipe for actual steak and kidney pies, and this is not getting the cooking done, so Adios. Or similar.

*She still does this, I was delighted to discover when we went on holiday with my parents last year. Also tinned minced beef. Tinned carrots. And a lot of baked beans.


Fray Bentos is...

Post 2

Icy North

Hi Sol, smiley - smiley

We used to have them as Saturday night tea at home: Mum was too tired to cook. We children saw them as a treat. When we were little we had 90 degrees of pie each. This increased to 120 degrees when we were teenage. As an adult, I now consume 180 degrees but feel a little guilty about it.

Did you find this Steak and Ale Pie recipe in your search earlier? A21206350

I guess you found Smash, too? A72311681

smiley - cheers Icy


Fray Bentos is...

Post 3

Icy North

Oh, and forgot to say we now have a Pope Fray Bentos now smiley - smiley

(hope I got that right)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more