A Conversation for Half-Life - the Computer Game

Half-life 2: The story of a million delays.

Post 1

Ace Rimmer [pretending]

As most of you Half-life players wil know, Half-life 2 was announced by Valve sometime in the summer. The Release date was set to September 30, a date that was confirmed a million times when vicious rumours of delays began popping up. Valve kept on saying: It will come on September 30th.
Alas, four days before the grand premiere, Valve broke the news, HL2 was delayed to christmas. The gaming community was thrown into a deep depression, but they soon came to terms with it. After all, they had lasted 5 long years waiting for this game, they could wait a few months for the men at Valve to get rid of some bugs.
Then, a few days ago, a statement from Valve said that the sourcecode for their amazing new 3D-engine had been stolen and leaked onto the internet by a group of hackers. The gamers thought this to be a crime against humanity as it could bring further delays and even lawsuits against Valve.
Their fears turned out to be right, a few hours ago, Valve declared Half-life 2, the game which would change the scene of Gaming was delayed by... 4 BLOODY MONTHS!!!
Half-life 2 will now be released in April 2004, about the time when the first expansion pack was originally intended to come out.
I'm now in a state of very, very, very deep depression


Half-life 2: The story of a million delays.

Post 2

invisibleknight

Then, a few days ago, a statement from Valve said that the sourcecode for their amazing new 3D-engine had been stolen and leaked onto the internet by a group of hackers.

Isn't this actually untrue?

I read somewhere that the machine that had the source code on it had been left connected to valve's own network for testing. Which was connected to the internet.

lot's of people leave machines open for file sharing (blame bill gates, windows xp and all that cr*p) so it was valve's own fault for not being careful enough about their own security.

if your developing a brand new game you don't leave that machine connected to a network.

that's just asking to be tampered with.
they may as well have just left a sign on the network saying "New Beta Software, Please steal. We're a bunch of idiots"


Key: Complain about this post

Half-life 2: The story of a million delays.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more