A Conversation for Myst - the Computer Game

Mistake

Post 1

Cenchrea

Um, first of all, the final title of the unreleased version of Myst (last paragraph, third sentence) will indeed be realMyst, spelled exactly that way. Get rid of the footnote and my error in the text that would indicate otherwise. I should have gotten to that when I still had an "edit" link, eh? smiley - blush Thanks.


Mistake

Post 2

JAR (happy to be back, but where's Ping?)

Wonderfull Entry. smiley - smiley When I get home, I'll rip out that Myst-box from way back on the shelf an re-install it...
*dreamy eyes*


Mistake

Post 3

Cenchrea

Thanks, that was the intent. smiley - bigeyes


Mistake

Post 4

JAR (happy to be back, but where's Ping?)

Hmm.. Maybe you're one of the programmers...trying to sell some hidden, secret, evil and occult message between the strange monolouges...

By the way, have you ever figured out the ending? Is there one?


Mistake

Post 5

Dizzy H. Muffin

Yes. There's four. One, you free Sirrus and are trapped. Two, you free Achenar and are trapped. Three, you visit Atrus without the White Page and he gets mad at you. Four, Atrus gives you free reign of the Myst, Stoneship, Channelwood, Selenitic, and Mechanical Ages, and he lets you wander D'ni (such as it is).


Myst

Post 6

Cenchrea

Dammit. Beat me to it. *grumble* It should be noted that the room Atrus ended up in is in D'ni, a large, subterrainian city, not merely that small room. (The Book of Atrus goes into that...) No, you can't get out of that room and explore the city, I've tried. smiley - sadface

Anyone heard of 'Mudpie'? Rumors, anyone?


Myst

Post 7

Dizzy H. Muffin

Erm smiley - erm... not as such, no.


Myst, Mudpie

Post 8

Cenchrea

*shrug* No biggie. 'Mudpie' is the working title of Cyan's latest project. All that they'll say is that it occurs within the 'Myst universe' (but stress that it is not a sequel) and somehow the word 'Broadband' keeps getting tossed around. Die-hard fans are really buzzing about it.

(Cenchrea would like to note that she considers herself merely a borderline die-hard Myst fan... )

*contemplates the cohesiveness of the term "Die-soft Fan"*


Myst, Mudpie

Post 9

Dizzy H. Muffin

I see.


Myst, Mudpie

Post 10

Magnolia

Thank you Cenchrea (have I spelt that right??) for a great entry -- I would call myself a serious MYST fan -- and I was glad to be reminded of all that was wonderful about the game. Playing MYST was a powerful and transformative experience for me because it was amongst the few things I did which absorbed my full attention. I always returned to the real world from it as if I had been dreaming with my eyes open. I thought it was brilliant, which was why I was even more astonished to find that RIVEN was even better.

I've often thought about basing a form of psycho-therapy on the choices a person makes while negotiating the twists and turns of MYST (of course it wouldn't work as psycho-therapy, since hundreds of players seem not to want to struggle through the whole course). For instance, I think it could be an indicator of ... errrrm ... SOMETHING ... depending on which brother one prefers.

I can imagine the MYST series becoming a type of literary classic -- rather in the way of the Lord of the Rings, except that it has to be "played" rather than read. It has the kind of depth-of-field to make it possible.

I find it difficult to believe that EXILE will live up to the promise ... and yet I am already planning ahead so that by the time it's on the market I'll be in a position to play it without distractions!


Myst, Mudpie

Post 11

Dizzy H. Muffin

Ah.

Sorry I'm not contributing much to this. smiley - winkeye


Myst, Mudpie

Post 12

Magnolia

That's okay. These conversations ARE a bit like interplanetary telephone connections anyway!


Myst, Mudpie

Post 13

Dizzy H. Muffin

Yeah. But truth be known, I am more comfortable either a) contributing to an RP forum or b) bringing the conversation way off course, as I'm doing now, than participating normally in a conversation forum. smiley - winkeye


Myst, Mudpie

Post 14

Magnolia

RP -- as in Role Playing? I've never got into those.


Myst, Mudpie

Post 15

Dizzy H. Muffin

[YK] Yeah, well, you have one or more characters ...

[Mackenzie] HA!*

[YK] ... and basically, unlike D&D, anything goes, as long as it doesn't violate Continuity. http://www.h2g2.com/A496091

[Mackenzie] And there's a link to a more "official" Continnuity page at the one YK just gave out.

[YK] [waves that off] Yeah, well, I just made that one while I was mad at someone for controlling my characters.

[*Footnote: YK has at least twenty characters. And that's just under this Researcher.]


Myst, Mudpie

Post 16

Magnolia

Twenty characters under one Researcher sounds like an orgy conducted on the pinnacle of a ziggurat.


Myst, Mudpie

Post 17

Dizzy H. Muffin

[YK] Well, they all have pretty much the same personality.


Myst, Mudpie

Post 18

Magnolia

Ummm ... okay -- along on a ziggurat, making suggestive remarks to one's many selves ...

*grin* I went and checked out CONTINUITY. I think I'm too slow-witted to RP efficiently. It has something to do with living in an alternative universe (I think).


:-)

Post 19

Cenchrea

*mildly confused by present conversation...*

*sits in corner with embroidery and waits for conversation to swing back to familiar territory...*


:-)

Post 20

Magnolia

Oh! Hi! I was hoping you wouldn't vanish away from this conversation altogether. There was a portion back there (my first post to this conversation, a LONG ramble about my obsession with MYST and RIVEN) which was meant for you to read. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post