A Conversation for Myst - the Computer Game

Myst?!!

Post 1

Cyde

Hey people, Myst is OLD. I played it seven years ago on my 386. I was amazed because it was the only "3D" game I was EVER going to play on that machine. I get nostalgic about it occasionally, but it isn't a great game. Just a sequence of 3D slideshows with looping 3-second soundclips. At least Riven had _some_ animation, but overall, I just can't get into these games. Incredibly tough graphics are the main reason, and exclusive puzzle games bore me so ...


Myst?!!

Post 2

Cenchrea

Hey, don't get too carried away. Keep in mind that it set a lot of graphics standards in it's day. (Where would we be now if it weren't for 'Pong'?) Yes, it's showing its age. Yes, it was a toughie. (I'm the first one to admit that had it not been for the cheatbook I would have tossed the cd out of the nearest open window out of frustration at my own ineptitude.) But it's a CLASSIC! (And you'll have to admit, there are many, many crappier games on the market, regarding both graphics and puzzles. Unfortunately, many of them patterned themselves after Myst and failed miserably in the attempt, dumbing down the genre considerably.)


Myst?!!

Post 3

Kota O'tan

I'm an enormous (not physically) fan of the Myst series. I beat Myst the first time without a cheat book, I beat Riven with a little help from a cheat book and beat Exile this week with no help. I love the series. Not for the technology involved and not for graphics, but because it's challenging and has a great back story. Also why I have some of the novels. Don't diss the D'ni, man! smiley - smiley

Kota


Myst?!!

Post 4

Cenchrea

*looks at Kota O'tan with big, watery eyes*

You've played Exile? Oh, you lucky son of a squee, you!!! How is it? I've got a lousy 200mhz packard bell that sometimes doesn't even play nice with programs intended for computers half her speed, and finals are coming up (bad time to start playing highly addictive games), so it looks like I won't be playing Exile for at least another month (then I go home and can hijack my dad's considerably faster computer...)

(And yes, I also agree that the thing that seperates the Myst series from the pack is the engaging story... The BOT almost made me cry!)


Myst?!!

Post 5

Kota O'tan

Oh it's beautiful! You can look 360ยบ when you're in a spot but click to move like in the others. It's just wholely entertaining. Not to mention it's good to see Atrus and Cathrine in a game again.

Kota


Myst?!!

Post 6

Cenchrea

smiley - smiley Good to hear... Brad Dourif is creepy enough, I assume? (The original teaser trailer, if you saw it, had a single shot of Mr. Dourif that gave me the creeps-- the one where his face comes out of the dark and says "hello, Atrus" and has that one, perfect tear rolling down his cheek *shudder*)


Myst?!!

Post 7

Kota O'tan

Oh yeah. Saavedro (the villian) has his reasons. I won't spoil it for you of course. He plays such a good tormented soul in this. You really start to feel for him as the game moves. I suggest you get the collectors edition when you buy it. It comes with the game, strategy guide, making of disc, soundtrack, and a pewter "squee". Very worth it.


Myst?!!

Post 8

Cenchrea

Oh? The soundtrack, too? smiley - biggrin I almost bought that anyway (still might... but not from amazon, I've heard some nightmare stories about shipping from them; especially on hot items). I've been downloading tracks as they come onto [URL removed by moderator], and am quite impressed. Very smokey, exotic. Sounds more like the classic Myst soundtrack than Riven's, even if it isn't written by Robyn Miller and utilises ochestral and choir elements (as opposed to only synthesizers).


Myst?!!

Post 9

Kota O'tan

This is true. I've tried ordering from amazon several times and everytime they couldn't get my item. It's worth the extra $20 us for the special version.

Kota


Myst?!!

Post 10

Cenchrea

Uh, is there some new policy against non-bbc sites being mentioned in forums? I mean, if it was porn I could see why it would be removed, but this was certainly not, and a very well known and legit dot-com company, too.


Myst?!!

Post 11

Cenchrea

...and I might mention that the name of the company is the same as the URL, so I technically wasn't even giving out an internet address, but the name of the site...


Myst?!!

Post 12

Orcus

He he, just bought Myst III- exile. I look forward to descending into these worlds again.
Hope it's not as impossible as Riven was though - Riven was just a tad tricky smiley - yikes


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more