A Conversation for 'Father Ted' - the TV Series

overseas?

Post 1

Fruitbat (Eric the)

Okay, it sounds just lunatic enough to make me want to see it...so how long must I wait before it crosses the pond? (the liklihood of me getting to England any time soon is remote).

Fruitbat


overseas?

Post 2

Dinsdale Piranha

I would have thought it would be there already if it's going to go. The third series was broadcast here over two years ago. They might have changed the name or something. Try looking in Blockbuster or something for the videos.


overseas?

Post 3

Hersh

I don't know if its the sort of thing that would get bought up in America, maybe the humour is a little too subtle with very few big gag lines. Not to say that lots of American's wouldn't find it funny, but somehow our best stuff seems to stay ourside and only the real crap (Benny Hill, Men behaving Badly remakes) gets shipped over. A real shame though because it was a hilarious and beautiful show. I fell off my chair laughing at Ted explaining perspective to Dougal (confused by the cows in the field and the toy plastic ones on the table), "These ones are small, but those are far away"....


overseas?

Post 4

World Service Memoryshare team

Hi Everyone,

Good news! Father Ted vids and DVDs can be found at Amazon and BlackStar smiley - smiley

Anna


overseas?

Post 5

Kubulai

that line cracks me up every time


overseas?

Post 6

Fruitbat (Eric the)

At the moment, Canada must wait for someone with deep pockets to pick up a series like that and show it in America before anyone here sees it....unless it's available for a commercial broadcaster to buy....

"maybe the humour is a little too subtle with very few big gag lines. Not to say that lots of American's wouldn't find it funny, but somehow our best stuff seems to stay ourside and only the real crap (Benny Hill, Men behaving Badly remakes) gets shipped over."

I know exactly what you mean. I'm constantly stunned by those that utterly miss subtlety or cleverness in gags; the ones they do get, and think are hilarious, are usually sooo obvious as to be nauseating to me.
Usually the Americans like the idea behind Britcoms and then feel the need to modify the culture to suit American taste, which usually means what the Studios think Americans will understand...consequently, all the characters were made 'likeable' somehow, which usually destroyed the whole point of the show....and they wonder why the translation doesn't work.

From that line you've just quoted I'm now aching to see this show; sounds like a classic in its own time.

Fruitbat


Removed

Post 7

Hersh

This post has been removed.


BBC America

Post 8

Leesha

A quick look at the BBC America website (bbcamerica.com) shows a Father Ted marathon is planned for the weekend of 21-22 October.

Leesha


BBC America

Post 9

Fruitbat (Eric the)

Well everyone, the good news is that I've just discovered the first part of the series at my local speciality shop and saw the first two episodes last night: silly, hysterical and strange. A wonderful change from the usual fodder with the clever sight-gags...and that opening helicopter shot was brilliant. I'm hooked.

Fruitbat


BBC America

Post 10

Leesha

I actually upgraded to digital cable and stayed up for very much of this weekend to get my Father Ted fix. (A side benefit of the digi thing is Gaelic games highlights every Tuesday.)

Father Ted airs every Tuesday and Wednesday night at 9 PM EST on BBC America.

Leesha


overseas?

Post 11

PuertoRicosLostChild

Several years ago, they were featuring the 'Father Ted' series on BBC America.
Shortly after that, I saw Ardal O'Hanlon at the Apollo Theater here in New York.
smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post