A Conversation for The Second Amendment to the US Constitution and its Meaning

Well done

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Good summary of the issues involved.smiley - smiley

I am always glad to see people place this debate in context.

In the 16th Century, an ancestor of mine was involved in the Plantation of Ulster. Queen Elizabeth gave former soldiers land on condition that they own a firearm and be ready to protect the place against marauders.

It is ironic that laws passed to make sure that ordinary citizens were not preyed upon by bullies or oppressive governments should have led to the current mayhem.

Guns today are too high-powered, too easy to use, and too available.

I would favour making a law that forces everyone to own a flintlock - and requires them to go to school for a year to learn how to use it, including making their own bullets.

Okay, unrealistic. But I notice that those involved in the 'well-regulated militia' are least likely to become a problem.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more