A Conversation for The Second Amendment to the US Constitution and its Meaning

The Second Amendment to the US Constitution and its Meaning

Post 1

dickirwin

This updates the The Second Amendment to the US Constitution and its Meaning entry which states that a decision is being awaited on District of Columbia v. Heller. The question being whether the Second Amendment of the United States protecting the right to bear arms is an individual right, or a collective right, i.e. for members of an organized governmental or civil unit-- "state-regulated militias." On June 26, 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for private use. It was the first Supreme Court case in United States history to directly address whether the right to keep and bear arms is a right of individuals or a collective right that applies only to state-regulated militias.


The Second Amendment to the US Constitution and its Meaning

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks, dickirwin. I'll try and work that into the Entry.


Key: Complain about this post

The Second Amendment to the US Constitution and its Meaning

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more