h2g2 Post 07.04.05

2 Conversations

Post 250 Banner by pattichild


Posted: 7th April 2005


 

Edition 250!

As is rather obvious, we are celebrating the 250th edition of The Post. Two of the winning entries in our recent graphics competition are featured on this page and more can be found in the appropriate article.

Since our last edition the world has lost some notable inhabitants. On Friday Terri Schiavo, the woman at the centre of high level court cases in the USA, finally died. Her feeding tube had been removed 13 days earlier. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the case the saddest thing was how her husband and parents could not reconcile their differences even at the end and continued to fight over her funeral arrangements.

On Saturday the Vatican announced the death of Pope John Paul II. Karol Wojtyla had held the office for 26 years but ill-health had plagued his final months. Widely acknowledged as promoting tolerance among religions and for taking a stand against communism he still ruled the Catholic Church with what many perceive to have been a conservative stand on morals especially those concerning women, contraception and gay issues.

The novelist Saul Bellow, winner of many prestigious awards, died yesterday. Despite being heralded as a great American writer he was, in fact, Canadian born. There doesn't appear to be an h2g2 Guide Entry on his life and works as yet. Also departed is Prince Rainier of Monaco. He held the world stage when he married the Hollywood star Grace Kelly in 1956 - she died in a car crash in 1982.

In the UK the wedding between Charles and Camilla was moved to Saturday so that Charles could attend the funeral of Pope John Paul and Tony Blair finally announced the date of the General Election. This means that election guidelines are now in force across h2g2 and the BBC and political discussion must be confined to the UK General and Local Elections 2005 forum. Oh, and these rules do apply to The Post as well so please don't spam us with political opinions. smiley - winkeye

ShazzPRME


 
 
REGULARS
 
 

 

 

FEATURES
 
 
 
FICTION
 
 

 
 
 
CARTOONS
 
 
 
 
h2g2 NEWS
 
 
  • The Post
    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Post 250 Banner by Jimi X

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3820736

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more