A Conversation for Meditation: Advice for Beginners

Meditation question

Post 1

Isle

I had a thought about mediataion just tonight, through I've never tried it:

It is often useful to talk to another person simply to use them as a sounding board for ideas about oneself. What is unclear when looking at oneself can be made clear by having the very qualities reiterated by another.

Can meditation be a sort of acting as one's own sounding board?


Meditation question

Post 2

Lucres

Interesting idea, but it's not meditation.

The idea of meditation is the absence of thought. This calms the mind and body, and makes it easier to think clearly through the rest of the day. I like to think of it as letting your brain finally rest for a while, since your brain is always working, even as you sleep. So if you are "sounding off" any ideas as you meditate, your brain is still working and not getting any rest. However, meditation may help you with this indirectly, helping you concentrate when you are brainstorming.

There is also a spiritual aspect to meditation, but I'm sure there's someone more qualified to explain that than me. Any takers?


Meditation question

Post 3

fifty-four

In the initial stages of meditation, you just sit still. As you sit many thoughts will pass through your head. This is actaully a good thing. As these thoughts enter your head label them as "just thoughts" and dismiss them. The neat thing is that as these thoughts surface, you learn about yourself. Things that you don't normally realise you are thinking become loud in your mind because you are still. Some of these thoughts may be disturbing and involve sex, violence, or murder. This is ok, as long as you realise that they are JUST THOUGHTS you will progress. But do not get too caught up in the thoughts. Just acknowledge them, label them and let them go. As time goes on you should be able to very quickly quiet your mind really progress. Meditation is all about sitting rock still while the world crashes against you like an ocean. Aknowledge the ocean, the spray of water on your face, and let it go. Just be in the moment. There is no trick, no sudden burst of all knowing enlightenment, just sitting. The spirituality comes in the form of personal growth and understanding.


Meditation question

Post 4

flyingtwinkle

right meditation opens up new channels in the mind


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more