A Conversation for Watering Holes in Newtown, Sydney, Australia

farewell to the oxford!

Post 1

Bgdr. Lethbridge-Stewart

the oxford hotel no longer exists! having been recently renovated it underwent a slight name change in keeping with it's new decor. rather than transforming into to one of the soul-less 'blond ash and brushed steel'public houses that seem to litter sydney's CBD, the place has gone for a slight theme and called itself 'zanzibar'. in an attempt not to alienate their regular clientele, the downstairs is not dissimilar to the previous fixtures. bare floors, pool tables and the ubiquitous big screen meaning it retains some of its original, for want of a better word, charm.
however the real surprise is when comes when you go upstairs to their lounge bar. sporting turkish style tables, fantastically coloured seats and no less than leopard print carpet! it has become a truly comfortable and stylish place to drink gratuitously. rather than the "pack them in and get DJ's in till their ears bleed" mentality that has so infected the drinking establishments of this city, the zanzibar has become a really pleasent place to drink. the beer has even remained somewhat respectably priced for such a recently renovated pub. (admittedly it will never be as cheap as some back street dive). it has great food with a tapas menu after four pm. however the best bit (although this may only have happened due to the large number of people in our group and consequently the large amount of money we put over the bar) was the waitress service.
all in all its a change for the better. especially as the last time i was in there my friend was constantly eyed up by a huge guy wanting to make him his bitch!


farewell to the oxford!

Post 2

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

I must admit that i haven't been in there yet.

I only ever use the Oxford, Bank and Townie for late night drinking. Not the sort of places you would make your local and probably best avoided in daylight hours.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more