A Conversation for Watering Holes in Newtown, Sydney, Australia

Newtown

Post 1

Researcher 178536

Im back in the UK now but lived in Newtown for quite a few months and can safely say that its alright. My friend lived above the carlisle castle and we had many a sesh in there. Its a good place to go to meet the locals and have made some life long friends there. God bless Newtown.


Newtown

Post 2

Vickiteina

Yes, god bless Newtown. Bless the ferals and pols students, the inebriated college inmates of a Friday night, the affordable (and cheerfully pulled) espressos and all you can scoff Indian/Pakistani/Persian. Thank the stars for the bargain bin manchester stores, $7 haircuts and the (shh, don't tell anyone) curio shops stocked to overflowing with those trinkets you've been on the lookout for but couldn't afford in other parts of town. Praise be for cheap and charming mediterranean restaurants that haven't been redecorated ever. Halleluia to the art galleries, staffed by the artists themselves. A haven for those of us that have suffered Sydney on next to no money (and the indiginity of earning those few coppers at one of Sydney Uni's halls of residence), Newton rocks. Just don't tell any one.


Newtown

Post 3

Researcher 170275

Ah man I wish I was back there smiley - smiley But yes - keep quiet about it. I like the fact that on infrequent and too short trips to australia I can stay at a cool hostel within staggering distance of all the listed watering holes AND still have cash for a slap up meal and endless coffees while watching the world go by. Each time I go back I get scared it will have gone a bit 'Surry Hills' on me. So far - so good. And rumours are reaching the UK that the Sando might be putting bands on again smiley - smiley


Newtown

Post 4

wayne fez

so you had a friend who lived at the carlisle?
i worked there for years !!
was your friend female?
if so i have a pretty good idea who she was and who you are!!
if not please excuse my stupidity,
still i would be interested in finding out if i know you,
wayne


Newtown

Post 5

EffingDave

Well Wayne, if you think you know who that is I definitely know who you are :o)
But you gotta admit being in England must be better than being in Perth with the neighbor you have hahahahaha

holy heck it's nearly opening time


Newtown

Post 6

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

abouttime you started working there again Wayne so we could get some decent service...Going to the Big Day out this year smiley - winkeye?

Might see you there tonight with a bit of luck Dave, but not 'till late.

Probably time i did an update on this article btw...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more