The h2g2 Post 09.08.07

1 Conversation


Posted: 9th August 2007


 

 


Here's to Absent Friends

I was editing Smudger's Snippet on Wednesday, and as I read about the manner in which he lost touch with a friend when he moved house, I was reminded (yet again) of that terrible fear, hanging over my head. I'm sure it's happened to you loads of times — you switch jobs or schools, you start a new phase of your life, you move to a different place and quickly loose contact with your old mates. Granted, this was a great deal easier to do in the days before the Internet — now we all keep in touch with friends we haven't even met, much less ones we don't see too often anymore. All sorts of things help us to do that, from email to instant-messaging to Skype to even the good old-fashioned telephone or 'snail mail'.

But it's never really the same, is it? It's difficult to hug a friend when they're two thousand miles away — and somehow '*hug*' just doesn't cut it. And without that reinforcement of proximity (which means that even if you don't see each other regularly, you could), I certainly worry that it's far too easy to lose touch.

I'm just about to enter my last year of school, so it's understandable that I've got several friends a year ahead of me. They're all leaving to start new lives at university, and I'm getting pretty familiar with this feeling of saying a tentative farewell. A couple kids have held going-away celebrations, and I've signed everyone's yearbook (or annual, or whatever you call it where you're from) with a heartfelt message about what a great friend they've been. I've hugged my goodbyes and shuffled through awkward rounds of 'Well, see you at Thanksgiving, then.' But in the back of my mind, I'm constantly wondering, 'Will I? And if I do, will it be the same?' It's going to be difficult just to get on without seeing certain friendly faces at school every day, or enjoying the luxury of being able to see a movie with a given friend, or go out to lunch with another.

New friends always come along. We're social animals (though some of us more than others); for the most part we befriend people wherever we go. But no one wants to let go of the accumulated friendships either — and so it can only remain to be seen whether a friendship conceived in the physical world can survive using the same methods as one conceived, for example, here on h2g2. Time will tell — and until then, I'm in denial, pretending that everyone's just gone away for the weekend.

(Apologies for the undue seriousness; one should never compose an editorial on little sleep. Deadline for the next issue is 19 August; until then, enjoy this edition of The Post!)


echomikeromeo


 

 
FICTION & POETRY

 

 
 

 

 
CARTOONS

 

 

 

 
REGULARS

 

 

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

 

 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A25097970

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more