A Conversation for Alice in Wonderland - the Literary Character

heh !

Post 1

Bistroist

Nopes, Annotated Alice is not about the Freudian symbols in Alice in Wonderland. Martin Gardner (who wrote the notes) avoids showing such, since he finds them too obvious or irrelevant (page 8, Annotated Alice).

Merry Christmas !!

- The bistroists sister smiley - winkeye


Alice

Post 2

protobikes

Probably everyone has already noticed this and I am wasting my time trying to deal with this very user-unfriendly site. I've found breaking into a house easier that this.
Anyway, I've just been reading Alice in Wonderland and the answer is stated as 42. It could be Douglas Adams was literate, or it could be a linited case of infinite improbability.

JW

PS - sorry if this offends some obscure rule. I don't usually waste my time on such things.


Alice

Post 3

Bistroist

Rules, what rules? Ah, the obscure ones, rarely notice those for some reason... smiley - winkeye

As for the whole 42-thing, I think it's generally agreed that it was in fact a combination of the two possibilities you mention. Adams was (understandably) rather fond of Carroll's works, but insisted that he himself came up with the number 42 almost completely at random.

It is of course possible that he was subconsciously influenced by his memories of Alice in Wonderland, but then again, he may not have... smiley - erm
Afraid we can't get more closer than that.

Sorry you've had such a hard time getting in here. I rarely get here myself, but I gather it's become a bit more troublesome over the last few years...


cheers
~Bistro smiley - orangefish


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more