A Conversation for Guinness

Additional Guinness information

Post 1

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

10 additional bits of information about Guinness (A164576) that aren't in the original entry
smiley - stout English Guinness was brewed at Park Royal from 1936. The brewery was designed by Sir Gilbert Scott, the architect who also designed Battersea and Bankside power stations. It was closed in 2005 and, despite protests, was demolished in 2006.
and but, when it was bought out by Diageo
smiley - stoutthan draught Guinness.
smiley - stout In the early '60's, Draught Guinness moved from being in wooden barrels to keg.
smiley - stout Guinness contains both carbon dioxide and nitrogen, the nitrogen giving it it's creamy long-lasting head.
smiley - stout Guinness, traditionally, is poured into a pint glass as a half-pint first, left to settle, then topped up to a pint, often with a harp or shamrock design created on the head.
smiley - stout Guinness was originally around 7.5% abv, when brewed by Arthur Guinness, but is now (in 2013) 4.3%.
smiley - stout Guinness was exported throughout the British Empire and is still brewed in Lagos, Nigeria, as from 1963.
smiley - stout Nigerian Guinness is known as Foreign Export Stout, and used to be made from a wort exported from Ireland. With the addition of local ingredients, believed to be maize and sorghum, the end product was brewed, becoming a stout of 7.5%. Possibly the nearest to the original recipe. Since 1987, it has been brewed locally using totally native products, when an export ban on certain items was imposed.
smiley - stout Guinness Stout was first exported to Sierra Leone in 1827.
smiley - stoutThe St. James' Gate Brewery was a dilapidated building that Arthur Guinness bought, on the 31st December 1759, with a 9,000 year lease at I£45

Hope that helps for those celebrating, drinking one of the 10,000,000 of 'The Black Stuff' that are drunk daily, although that quantity expands hugely today.

Enjoy. smiley - cheers

MMF

smiley - musicalnote


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more