A Conversation for Potato Crisps - A History

Wrong Wrong Wrong

Post 1

Steve Wilson

An important aspect of the venerable development of the holy crisp is missing from this account - John William Hoggett of Gateshead invented the first flavoured potato crisps, vinegar flavour.

http://www.bpears.org.uk/genuki/NBL/NCLLib/NCLFS3.html

He owned Hogget's Food Products, a factory off Redheugh Bridge, he was noted for having produced the first flavoured potato crisps. He kept horses in a field on Broom Lane where the Health Club is now. He died on the 2nd February, 1980, aged 69.


Wrong Wrong Wrong

Post 2

Fizzymouse- no place like home



I reckon first flavours will always be debated - but you've added to the entry by posting this and the link - thanks.smiley - cheers


smiley - mouse


Wrong Wrong Wrong

Post 3

Tomlinfour

Salt and Vinegar crisp flavour may have been invented more than once.
In 1963 I was responsible for 'Flavours development' at Golden wonder's Widnes Factory. I had observed 'flavour association', e.g. sage and onion made people say 'Chicken'. In an attempt to create a fish flavour for a new product: 'Chish and Fips' I bought commercial vinegar at a shop in Widnes. Everyone liked the vinegar flavoured crisp it made and most thought it tasted of fish. This nearly ended the project! The real drawback was that the vinegar moistened the crisps and destroyed texture and shelf-life. It took Lucas-Griffiths, the Flavour House, two years to produce a satisfactory dry vinegar flavouring. Pat Lucas' agreement with Golden Wonder was that any flavouring not taken up by Golden Wonder within six months could be offered to 'the opposition,. Smith's Crisps launched their salt and Vinegar product with GW13 flavour. Golden Wonder followed (in a panic) with GW7, the almost best.
True True True


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more