A Conversation for Mystery Science Theater 3000

Cancellation Info

Post 21

Lord Bob

Just thought I'd pop my two cents in, and maybe a couple pence and some lira while I'm at it...

Yes, durring the SciFi era, some of the host segments took a bit of a turn, but mainly because they were attmpting something new: Continuity.
It was something they had never had before, a weekly plot that grew and changed as the show progressed through the season (Or series, depending upon ones location) and, I for one, think it did give us some of the better moments of the show.
Who can forget the Planet of The Apes inspired Deep Ape? Or Mikes miniacl(sp?) grin as he prepared an enourmous baking-soda bomb, and, unwittingly, distroied his third planet? (That man should worked for the Vogons...)

The last episode was, in my mind, one of the best they ever made. It was touching, without being overly sappy, it closed up every lose end, and it tied it's self in with the first episode, a message to the fans, if you will, saying "Though our show may pass on, the riffing shall not end!" Either that or "After ten long years, we really don't know how to do anything else."

As far as saving the show, The B Movie Channel (www.b-moviechanell.com)is reportedly making efforts to secure the rights to the first seven seasons of the show. Good luck to them.
Most of the Brains are now writeing for IronMinds.com, and IMHO, their prose is just as good, if not better then, their riffing. Yay.

"So long sweet SOL, may a flight of angels sing thee to thy rest"


Cancellation Info

Post 22

Robotron, formerly known as Robyn Graves and before that, GreyRose

I can not believe that anyone could have anything bad to say about the host segments for ANY of the shows before they moved to Sci-Fi. One of my favourites is the one on "Pod People" where they sing "Let the Engines Roll" ("flying over trout?").

About the Sci-Fi seasons, I was apprehensive about them starting the show up again. Because, like any true fan, I thought that it could in no way compare to what had come before. Thankfully, I was wrong. Granted, the host segments weren't as good, but they could have been worse, and I agree with Frink that the movie parts were every bit as good. But, all that matters, is that they were true to the orginal spirit of the show.

The movie was great too. I love the entire thing, but the parts that are in my head right now, all have to do with the professor; "what's this and the rest crap?" or "hey, the professors crying", or "so, you made this car entirely out of coconuts?". (I think I'm going to have to watch it tonight.)

I've been a fan since about '93 and the only place I could see it was at my grandma's in Houston. I would come home and try to explain it to all my friends, but they didn't understand.

Joel or Mike? I have always been, and always will be a Joel girl ( but I love Mike too!), but I think it was a good idea for him to leave the show before he got tired of doing it.

What do I think about it being cancelled?

*makes ok sign*

"It stinks!"


Cancellation Info

Post 23

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

Pod People! I love it smiley - smiley

How did the Brains get involved in ironmind? Does anyone have a link to anything they've written there?


Cancellation Info

Post 24

Robotron, formerly known as Robyn Graves and before that, GreyRose

I have no idea. I would start from the sattelite (sp?) news site, I would put it up here, but I don't know what the address is.

But, I do know that I messed up one of the quotes from the movie. It's supposed to be, "So, you made this car out of bamboo?", and later when Steve gets killed Mike says, "And his coffin will be made entirely out of coconuts".

You don't think I'm obsessive, do you? smiley - winkeye


Cancellation Info

Post 25

Researcher 33337

Not at all. Me and a few friend completely dumbfound our otehr friends with random quotes from teh movie, and off the episode Space Mutiny for some odd reason. There are so many good MST3k quotes. I was actually at an event run by a Sci-Fi society, a double bill of transformers the movie and He-Man and She-Ra, teh secret of teh sword. Like MST3K Live, it was bliss.

We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese.


Cancellation Info

Post 26

Robotron, formerly known as Robyn Graves and before that, GreyRose

Fridge Largemeat!

Probably my favorite line in that one is when the lady's father looks at her and shakes his head and somebody says "you're getting a lump of coal". I also like all the jokes about Calgon and about how the captain looks like Sting.

Space Munity rules!


Cancellation Info

Post 27

Researcher 33337

Big McLargeHuge

I liked the santa stuff, And the railings. Lets not forgeth the whole big chase scene at the end. "Many people have likened this scene to the chariot race in ben hur"

"Really"

"yeah, they say, Ben Hur was really good. This movie sucked"

And lets not forget the beating mike took at the end of that one because they held him responsable for the 80's.


Cancellation Info

Post 28

Robotron, formerly known as Robyn Graves and before that, GreyRose

I went and saw Galaxy Quest yesterday (I liked it). And for one thing, the bad guys reminded me of Vogons. And another, when they lended on that planet all I thought was, "shuttlecraft determined to be cute, sir". smiley - smiley

GreyRose

Oh yeah, I love the railings.


Cancellation Info

Post 29

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

And railing kill!


Cancellation Info

Post 30

Robotron, formerly known as Robyn Graves and before that, GreyRose

I love how when (in the movie) someone knocks a guy over a desk or something and Mike and the bots wonder if it counts since it's not really a railing.


Cancellation Info

Post 31

Researcher 33337

Oh yes, one more thing about Space Mutiny

"Keyboards on the wall, it must be THE FUTURE"


Cancellation Info

Post 32

Siguy

Being unscrupulous and bored I thought I would mention that if you want mst3k sounds my site has many sounds, about 70 something, and links to other pages with sounds. It isn't a very great site but it's not like I am making money off it. Check it out at:
http://msties.cjb.net

As for favorite eps. of mst3k, I don't know. I was so young during the Comedy Central years that I never really appreciated it. But now I have taped the majority of the scifi eps. That way in the future my kids will sit around while I bring out some old box marked VCR. They will complain and then we will watch. And ofcourse they won't understand any of it and will ask questions like "who's prince"


Cancellation Info

Post 33

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

or "who's The Artist?" or maybe "who's that symbol guy?"


Cancellation Info

Post 34

Siguy

How dare my future children disrespect me like that. As soon as they are born they're grounded!!!!


Cancellation Info

Post 35

Researcher 33337

Quite right. I plan to use revese psychology. I'll watch the tapes of MST3K in privacy and shoo the children away whn tehy ask what I'm doing. That way they'll try really hard to watch it and enjoy it on tehir own as opposed to hating it because I like it. Clever huh? Or, from teh episode "The venus men" (I think) If that's a plan then I like it very much.


Cancellation Info

Post 36

Jenxel

I believe Cavedwellers is the best MST ever, with Ator, he with pecs like melons and knees of fringe.


Cancellation Info

Post 37

Robotron, formerly known as Robyn Graves and before that, GreyRose

Cave Dwellers rules!

My favorite part of that episode is when Joel and the bots reenact the opening credits.


Cancellation Info

Post 38

Jenxel

Yeah, I love that part too. Did you realize that that movie was actually a sequel, and the flashback episode was from the first movie? I can't believe the director actually made TWO movies! He should be shot! or at least, have rotten tomatoes thrown at him.


Cancellation Info

Post 39

Siguy

that opening credits bit was very funny. And that spider from the flashback scene was almost as ridiculous as the ending special effects of "beginning of the end"
If you don't remember then let me remind you, at the end of that movie, in order to simulate grasshoppers climbing up a building they filmed grasshoppers on a post card. It was so pathetic.


Cancellation Info

Post 40

Jenxel

heh, if you don't remember....You're talking to someone who can quote it from beginning to end. I like the part where they are talking about the gross anachronisms that occur, such as the four-wheeling tracks in the field.


Key: Complain about this post