Doctor Who Episode Guide: 2005 - 2009 Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Doctor Who Episode Guide: 2005 - 2009

4 Conversations

Doctor Who
1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s | 2005-9 | 2010

Beginning in November 1963, Doctor Who is the longest-running science fiction TV series in the world, spanning 26 consecutive years in its original form. It revolves around the adventures of a traveller in time and space generally known as 'The Doctor'. He is accompanied on his travels by a number of companions (also known as 'assistants') and faces alien monsters, historical villains and misguided maniacs all over the galaxy, but he often admits that Earth is by far his favourite planet.

For the programme's revival in 2005, each episode had its own title, just as the first seasons of the original series had done. Individual stories were told across one or two episodes, although the series also had ongoing plot elements and strong continuity between the episodes themselves, with references to other episodes running through the entire series.

2005 Series

The Ninth Doctor was played by Christopher Eccleston, with Billie Piper playing his main companion, Rose Tyler. Returning to the 'family' approach of the Jon Pertwee era, the series also boasted a cast of regular supporting characters: Rose's mum Jackie was played by Camille Coduri and Rose's (ex) boyfriend Mickey Smith was played by Noel Clarke. John Barrowman arrived towards the end of the series to play new companion, space adventurer Captain Jack Harkness.

The incidental music for each episode was composed by Murray Gold, who also rearranged the original theme tune.

'Rose'

  • Broadcast: 26 March, 2005
  • Writer: Russell T Davies
  • Director: Keith Boak

Shop assistant Rose Tyler receives a rude awakening when the department store she works in is invaded by killer dummies shortly before being blown up by a mysterious man who introduces himself as the Doctor. The next day, Rose is forced to accept the existence of aliens, time travel and a universe just waiting to be explored. So, will she stay at home with her mum, her boyfriend and her routine life or will she choose danger, adventure and monsters...?

Note: This episode featured the return of the Nestene and its Autons, last seen in the 1971 adventure 'Terror of the Autons'.

'The End of the World'

  • Broadcast: 2 April, 2005
  • Writer: Russell T Davies
  • Director: Euros Lyn

In the year five billion, beings from across the universe - including the Trees of Cheem, the Moxx of Balhoon, the Adherents of the Repeated Meme and the Face of Boe - arrive at the space station Platform One to witness the final moments of the planet Earth. This is where the Doctor brings Rose for her first official journey aboard the Tardis. Within minutes of their arrival, however, the lives of every lifeform on Platform One is placed in danger...

Note: This episode was notable for featuring the first use of the phrase 'Bad Wolf' (spoken by the Moxx of Balhoon), which would have greater significance as the season went on.

'The Unquiet Dead'

  • Broadcast: 9 April, 2005
  • Writer: Mark Gatiss1
  • Director: Euros Lyn

Aiming the Tardis for Naples, 1860, the Doctor and Rose instead find themselves in Cardiff in 1869. There they meet the famous writer Charles Dickens, the walking dead, a psychic maid and a race of gas-based aliens called the Gelth, refugees from the Last Great Time War - which the Doctor seems to know rather a lot about...

'Aliens of London'

  • Broadcast: 16 April, 2005
  • Writer: Russell T Davies
  • Director: Keith Boak

Although she's only been travelling with the Doctor for a few hours, when the Doctor brings Rose back home she's shocked to learn that she's actually been away for 12 months - missing, presumed dead. As Rose struggles to explain her absence to her concerned mum, an alien spaceship lands in the Thames at the same time that senior members of the British government disappear. The Doctor soon learns that the alien space ship didn't come from space - the aliens have been here for some time...

'World War Three'

  • Broadcast: 23 April, 2005
  • Writer: Russell T Davies
  • Director: Keith Boak

The Doctor and Rose join forces with Harriet Jones (a low-ranking member of Parliament) to prevent the alien Slitheen family (from the planet Raxacoricofallipatorious) from triggering World War III and turning the planet Earth into a radioactive rock floating in space...

Note: 'Aliens of London' and 'World War III' were the first two-part story of the new Doctor Who series. This adventure featured the first appearance in the series of Penelope Wilton as the scared - but eventually heroic - backbench MP Harriet Jones, who would return to the series in the 2005 Christmas Special. Also appearing in this two-part story is Annette Badland as 'Margaret Blaine', who would reappear later in the season in 'Boom Town'.

'Dalek'

  • Broadcast: 30 April, 2005
  • Writer: Robert Shearman
  • Director: Joe Ahearne

Deep underneath the plains of Utah lies a museum of alien artefacts owned by billionaire Henry Van Statten. Pride of his collection is a living alien locked inside its own metallic life support system. When the Tardis locks onto the alien's distress signal the Doctor and Rose respond. But the Doctor is horrified to discover that the alien is a survivor of a race he was convinced had been destroyed in the last Great Time War. But even when it's outnumbered, one solitary Dalek can be a deadly thing, which is why the Doctor is determined to see it dead...

'The Long Game'

  • Broadcast: 7 May, 2005
  • Writer: Russell T Davies
  • Director: Brian Grant

In the year 200,000, all of the news for the Earth Empire is controlled by Satellite Five, which orbits the planet Earth. But who controls Satellite Five? And more importantly, who helped them to gain control?

Note: Although appearing at first glance to be a rather inconsequential episode, the events of 'The Long Game' are revealed (in the episode 'Bad Wolf') to have been very important indeed...

'Father's Day'

  • Broadcast: 14 May, 2005
  • Writer: Paul Cornell
  • Director: Joe Ahearne

In 1988, Pete Tyler died in a traffic accident while en route to a friend's wedding. 18 years later, his daughter Rose convinces her new best friend to help her go back in time to see him... Rose's actions unleash a terrifying chain of circumstances that could bring about the extinction of all life on Earth - but with the Doctor dead, will Pete realise what he has to do to save the world and his daughter?

Note: Shaun Dingwall made his first appearance as Rose's father, Pete Tyler.

'The Empty Child'

  • Broadcast: 14 May, 2005
  • Writer: Steven Moffat
  • Director: James Hawes

Landing in London during World War II, Rose quickly finds herself dangling above the city rooftops from a zeppelin during an air raid before being rescued by a dashing time traveller calling himself Captain Jack. Meanwhile, while tracking an alien artefact that has fallen to Earth, the Doctor encounters a gas-masked child in search of his mummy...

Note: This episode saw the arrival of intergalactic omnisexual conman 'Captain' Jack Harkness, played by John Barrowman.

'The Doctor Dances'

  • Broadcast: 21 May, 2005
  • Writer: Steven Moffat
  • Director: James Hawes

The mystery of the 'empty' child leads the Doctor to uncover a terrifying airborne virus that is turning the inhabitants of a local hospital into identically creepy zombies. As Captain Jack prepares to make the ultimate sacrifice, could this possibly be one day that the Doctor can save without any casualties?

'Boom Town'

  • Broadcast: 4 June, 2005
  • Writer: Russell T Davies
  • Director: Joe Ahearne

A peaceful stop-off in 21st-Century Cardiff gives Captain Jack time to help the Doctor recharge the Tardis through a handy rift in the City centre, while Rose catches up with her old boyfriend Mickey. But such pleasant excursions must be put on hold when they bump into an old enemy - Margaret Blaine, sole survivor of the alien Slitheen family on Earth. Can the Doctor bring himself to take Margaret back to her home planet to face certain execution, or will she be able to persuade him to show leniency?

'Bad Wolf'

  • Broadcast: 11 June, 2005
  • Writer: Russell T Davies
  • Director: Joe Ahearne

The time travellers find themselves trapped in futuristic game shows with deadly consequences for the losers. They're back on Satellite Five, 100 years after their previous visit. But the after-effects of the Doctor's previous interference become clear when Rose is kidnapped and a fleet of hidden space-ships makes its presence known...

This episode featured pastiches of popular gameshows, including Big Brother. The Doctor's final line in the episode, 'Rose, I'm coming to get you' was a nod to the catchphrase of Big Brother UK presenter Davina McCall. One answer given during the Weakest Link sequence is 'Torchwood', a word that would become very important in the next season.

'The Parting of the Ways'

  • Broadcast: 18 June, 2005
  • Writer: Russell T Davies
  • Director: Joe Ahearne
  • The Last Great Time War came to an end when the Doctor sacrificed his own people in a desperate bid to destroy the Daleks and wipe them from time. The grief that he carried with him has been softened slightly by his friendship with Rose Tyler. Now the Daleks have returned, and the Doctor is faced with the choice of destroying all life on Earth to rid the planet of the Daleks. But it's a choice he cannot make with Rose watching him, so he tricks her into returning back home to her mum and boyfriend. Only when the situation looks lost does Rose realise the significance of a phrase that has followed her around ever since she first met the Doctor - 'Bad Wolf'. Suddenly, she knows that if the Doctor is facing certain death, her place is by his side. But how can she persuade the Tardis to take her there? And even if they succeed in defeating the Daleks, can life ever be the same for them again?

    Note: This episode saw the final appearance of Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor and the first appearance, in the last few moments, of David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor. It also saw the temporary departure from the Tardis crew of John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness.

    2005 Special Episodes

    With Doctor Who one of the BBC's highest-rated and most successful shows of 2005, the series was used as a vital weapon in the ratings wars with ITV and as an equally useful tool to raise money for good causes.

    Children In Need Special

    The Children In Need special didn't boast an on-screen title, so many fans have chosen to start calling it the 'Pudsey Cutaway'. This is a convoluted joke that mixes the name of the Children In Need campaign's yellow teddy-bear mascot (Pudsey) with a contemporary mis-attributed descriptor of the 1965 one-off Dalek episode 'Mission to the Unknown' (Dalek Cutaway) - hence, 'Pudsey Cutaway'. We know, we know...!

    • Broadcast: 18 November, 2005
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Euros Lyn

    Rose looks on as the Doctor changes into another person entirely - slightly younger and with much bigger hair. Can the Doctor convince his friend Rose that he's really the person he says he is - or will a problem with his regeneration make all of this a bit of a moot point..?

    Note: This six minute-long special aired as part of the annual BBC 'Children in Need' telethon, raising money for a variety of children's charities both in the UK and abroad.

    'The Christmas Invasion'

    • Broadcast: 25 December, 2005
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: James Hawes

    The Doctor's regeneration isn't going well and shortly after bringing Rose back home to visit Jackie and Mickey for Christmas, he collapses into a coma. With the Doctor out of action, Rose is forced to think on her feet when she and Mickey are attacked by a gang of lethal Santas and a killer Christmas Tree carves up her mum's flat. But these are minor worries compared to a gigantic alien spacecraft that arrives, hovering over London on Christmas Day - and when a third of the world's population prepares to throw themselves off the top of the nearest high building, it seems as though the Earth is indeed at the mercy of the warlike Sycorax. Can anyone save the day? Harriet Jones, Prime Minister? The massed forces of the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce? The mysterious 'Torchwood'? Or perhaps all that's needed is a nice cup of tea...

    Shown as the centrepiece of BBC One's Christmas Day schedules, this 60-minute special episode marked return appearances for Camille Coduri as Jackie Tyler, Noel Clarke as Mickey Smith and Penelope Wilton as the recently-elected Prime Minister, Harriet Jones.

    'Attack of the Graske'

    • Broadcast: 25 December, 2005
    • Writer: Gareth Roberts
    • Director: Ashley Way

    The Graske, an alien body-snatcher, has been stealing humans from across time. Now the Doctor is on its trail with a very special companion - you!

    An interactive episode made exclusively for 'Red Button' viewers on digital cable and satellite, 'Attack of the Graske' featured David Tennant in character as the Doctor. The Graske was played by Jimmy Vee, who'd previously appeared as the Moxx of Balhoon in 'End of the World' and as the 'space pig' in 'Aliens of London'.

    2006 Series

    David Tennant's first full series as the Doctor saw him once again accompanied by Rose, with Mickey raised to full companion status for four episodes. Jackie Tyler made a few appearances along the way, a few old faces returned... and the series closed with a significant departure.

    Murray Gold once again composed the incidental score for every episode, using the Welsh National Orchestra on a few episodes as well as for a new arrangement of the theme for the closing titles.

    'New Earth'

    • Broadcast: 15 April, 2006
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director:James Hawes

    Over five billion years into the future, New Earth is home to the refugees from the original Earth. It's also home to a hospital run by humanoid cats, nurses in a hospital that boasts of never losing a patient. Seemingly irreversible illnesses are cured in seconds and the Doctor is instantly worried. For one thing, the place could really do with a shop. But his troubles are about to increase as his old adversary Cassandra is lurking in a disused floor of the hospital in search of a new body. Watch out Rose!

    Note: Zoe Wannamaker returned as two forms of the Lady Cassandra. The face of Boe and a mechanical spider from 'End of the World' also appeared. Jackie Tyler and Mickey Smith are seen briefly in a pre-credits sequence where Rose says goodbye to them.

    'Tooth and Claw'

    • Broadcast: 22 April, 2006
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Euros Lyn

    Scotland, 1879, and the Doctor and Rose find themselves trapped in a country house with Queen Victoria, a party of martial-arts-trained monks... and a werewolf. But how are these all linked to the famed Koh-i-Noor Diamond - and can Rose get the Queen to admit that she's 'not amused'?

    Note: Pauline Collins, here playing Queen Victoria, also appeared in the 1967 adventure 'The Faceless Ones' as Samantha Briggs.

    'School Reunion'

    • Broadcast: 29 April, 2006
    • Writer: Toby Whithouse
    • Director: James Hawes
    It's all change at Deffry Vale High School as the new headmaster brings in new teachers and a new school menu where chips are compulsory. His regime brings the attentions of two experienced investigators, one - the Doctor - takes a position as a teacher, with help from Rose, working as a dinner lady. The other is a journalist called Sarah-Jane Smith who, a long time ago, had a very special friend known as the Doctor. As Rose gains an insight into what happens to the Doctor's friends when he moves on, Mickey discovers that in the grand scheme of things, he's 'the tin dog'.

    Note: Mickey Smith joined the Tardis as a full companion at the end of this episode. Elisabeth Sladen made a triumphant return as Sarah-Jane Smith, along with K-9, once again voiced by John Leeson. Anthony Stewart head, former Buffy the Vampire Slayer star, played the headmaster, Mr Finch.

    'The Girl in the Fireplace'

    • Broadcast: 6 May, 2006
    • Writer: Steven Moffat
    • Director: Euros Lyn

    Why does a space ship in the 55st Century have doorways into a royal palace in 18th Century France? What is the purpose of the clockwork droids and why are they so fascinated by Reinette - Madame De Pompadour, mistress of King Louis XV? As the Doctor makes repeated visits across Reinette's life and befriends a horse, Rose and Mickey discover a gruesome secret aboard the space-ship...

    'Rise of the Cybermen'

    • Broadcast: 13 May, 2006
    • Writer: Tom MacRae
    • Director: Graeme Harper

    A freak accident in the space-time continuum leaves the Tardis stranded in a parallel world. Learning that in this world, her father is still alive, Rose insists on tracking him down. Mickey meanwhile goes looking for his Nan, who died in his world. The reunion is brief as Mickey is kidnapped by a group called the Preachers, underground rebels who have mistaken him for their leader, Ricky. The Preachers are working to undermine the global domination of Cybus Industries, owned by John Lumis, a terminally ill multi-millionaire with a mission to create 'Mankind.2'. This new cybernetic species makes its debut by gate crashing a party being thrown by Pete Tyler for his wife, Jackie. Despite the Doctor's plea to leave the party-goers alive, the Cybermen have only one objective - to 'delete' all humans...

    Note: Nick Briggs (who voiced the Daleks in the previous season) provided speech for the Cybermen, while Shaun Dingwall returned as Pete Tyler. Subtle links to the past included a company called 'International Electromatics' as seen in 'The Invasion' in 1968.

    'The Age of Steel'

    • Broadcast: 20 May, 2006
    • Writer: Tom MacRae
    • Director: Graeme Harper

    Though he manages to save his friends from deletion, the Doctor is unable to prevent the Cybermen from instigating a worldwide take-over. Pete Tyler reveals that he's been working undercover to help the Preachers with their campaign. With Jackie missing, presumed captured by the Cybermen, Pete and Rose infiltrate a Cyber-conversion factory while the Doctor and Mickey work together to save the world from John Lumic's insane plans. But how can they possibly hope to win when the Cybermen have already taken control of the entire planet?

    'The Idiot's Lantern'

    • Broadcast: 27 May, 2006
    • Writer: Mark Gatiss
    • Director: Euros Lyn

    1953 and the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II marks the point at which the British television audience is bigger than the radio audience for the first time. In Florizel Street, everyone has a TV set, thanks to Mr Magpie. But Tommy Connolly knows that something sinister is going on, something that stole his Nan's face and kidnapped his neighbours. Mr Magpie knows what's going on - he works for the Wire - and the Wire is hungry...

    'The Impossible Planet'

    • Broadcast: 3 June, 2006
    • Writer: Matt Jones
    • Director: James Strong

    It lies in the path of a black hole. It's believed to contain a massive power source. It's home to a group of humans and an alien race called the Ood who share one mind and live to serve. This airless world is an impossibility, but it exists nonetheless. When the Tardis is lost to an abyss, the Doctor and Rose must quickly grow accustomed to life inside a makeshift sanctuary base above a drilling exploration into the heart of the planet. As the Doctor accompanies Ida on an investigation of the planet's core, the Ood begin to grow restless. Deep beneath the surface of the planet, lies the Beast - and he is awake...

    'The Satan Pit'

    • Broadcast: 10 June, 2006
    • Writer: Matt Jones
    • Director: James Strong

    With nowhere else to go but down, the Doctor decides to take the plunge and drop into the abyss where he finds a colossal demon chained up. The surviving humans navigate the service tunnels to escape the Ood, now controlled by the Beast, who has also possessed one of the humans. Rose is restrained and wakes up to find herself on a rocket ship fleeing the impossible planet. The Beast is also aboard...

    'Love & Monsters'

    • Broadcast: 17 June, 2006
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Dan Zeff

    Elton Pope has a habit of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He witnessed the show window dummies gunning down shoppers in 2005, saw the alien spaceship hit Big Ben in 2006 and on Christmas Day last year his windows were shattered by the arrival of the Sycorax ship. He also knows of the Doctor. A founder-member of 'LINDA' (London Investigation 'N' Detective Agency), he spends all his spare time following the Doctor's adventures. LINDA brings close friendships to Elton's life, including Ursula, who runs a website dedicated to the mysterious man. And that's how the group is tracked down by Victor Kennedy, a man with his own reasons for finding the Doctor...

    Note: The Absorbaloff, the monstrous creature posing as Victor Kennedy, was designed by William Grantham, winner of a 'Design a Monster' competition run by BBC children's magazine show Blue Peter. The character was played by comedian Peter Kay, creator and star of Phoenix Nights.

    'Fear Her'

    • Broadcast: 24 June, 2006
    • Writer: Matthew Graham
    • Director: Euros Lyn
    It's 2012 and the people of London are preparing for the Olympic Games. Over in Dame Kelly Holmes Close, children and pets are disappearing thanks to a small girl who is somehow capturing them in her drawings. But the girl's sketches are getting out of hand. An alien influence and a terror from her past combine to create a reason for her neighbours to fear her...

    'Army of Ghosts'

    • Broadcast: 1 July, 2006
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Graeme Harper

    Earth has begun to receive regular visits from 'ghosts', spectral figures who appear all over the planet. Their visits coincide with experiments at the top of the secret London headquarters of the Torchwood organisation. No-one knows that the spectres are Cybermen breaking in from a parallel world. but they are not the only alien invaders. At the top of the Torchwood Tower lies a Void Sphere - a craft capable of crossing the void between dimensions. And inside the Void Sphere waits a nasty surprise for the Doctor and Rose...

    Note: Nick Briggs voiced the Cybermen and the Daleks in this and the next episode. Having been namechecked in hints and references since 'Bad Wolf', we finally see the headquarters of the secret organisation of Torchwood.

    'Doomsday'

    • Broadcast: 8 July, 2006
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Graeme Harper

    The Cybermen view it as war - their adversaries consider it 'pest control'. But for the people of Earth it could lead to the destruction of the planet. Some call it Doomsday. For Rose, it was the day she died...

    Note: This episode marked the final regular appearance of Billie Piper, Camile Coduri and Noel Clarke and introduced Catherine Tate as 'the Bride', Donna.

    2006 Christmas Special

    'The Runaway Bride'

    • Broadcast: 25 December, 2006
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Euros Lyn

    Rose has gone but there's no time to grieve as the Tardis welcomes a newcomer - a startled bride-to-be called Donna who absolutely doesn't want to be there. As the Doctor tries to work out how to get Donna back to her wedding, light years across the universe, old enemies and an evil and ancient presence make plans for the Doctor's new friend...

    Note: This 60-minute special was, like 'The Christmas Invasion', shows on Christmas Day. Catherine Tate co-starred and the episode saw the return of the robot Santas and killer Christmas tree from the previous Christmas special and a specially-commissioned song performed by Neil Hannan of The Divine Comedy.

    2007 Series

    Though she's gone, Rose's shadow continues to stretch long across this series as the Doctor makes a new friend but learns the meaning of the phrase 'rebound'. We meet Martha Jones for the first time, a hard-working medical student training to be a doctor. As before, the series carried a recurring theme, the mysterious 'Saxon' whose election campaigns appear throughout the modern-day episodes (and the character had been referenced in the series from as far back as 'Love & Monsters').

    Murray Gold once again composed the incidental score for every episode, using the Welsh National Orchestra on some episodes.

    'Smith and Jones'

    • Broadcast: 31 March, 2007
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Charles Palmer

    A medical student called Martha Jones meets an unusual patient, a blood-sucking pensioner, mysterious figures made of leather and a platoon of rhino-faced Judoon - on the moon! As she tries to get her head around all of this, time and the air supply begin to run out.

    Note: Along with Martha, this episode introduced her family: her mother, Francine (Adjoa Andoh); father, Clive (Trevor Laird); brother, Leo (Reggie Yates); and sister, Tish (Gugu Mbatha-Raw).

    'The Shakespeare Code'

    • Broadcast: 7 April, 2007
    • Writer: Gareth Roberts
    • Director: Charles Palmer

    Martha's first trip in the Tardis takes her to the Globe for a meeting with Shakespeare. Will is about to unveil his new play - 'Love's Labour's Won' - but a trio of hideous witches have made changes to the text that could have sinister consequences for history's greatest playwright...

    'Gridlock'

    • Broadcast: 14 April, 2007
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Richard Clarke

    Back to the year five billion and the Doctor soon discovers there's a traffic problem on New Earth. As Martha helps a young couple navigate the jams, a dangerous enemy lurks in the smoky depths of New New York. meanwhile, the Face of Boe prepares to deliver his final message for the universe to a traveller with no home.

    Note: The Face of Boe makes his last appearance here, along with the cat-nun Novice Hame. The episode also contains a reference to a race of creatures not seen since the first series of Patrick Troughton episodes in 1967.

    'Daleks in Manhattan'

    • Broadcast: 21 April, 2007
    • Writer: Helen Raynor
    • Director: James Strong

    Back in 'old' New York, The Cult of Skaro are hiding in the basement of the Empire State Building during the great depression. The Doctor and Martha meet the homeless inhabitants of Hooverville, learn that people have been going missing and make a horrible discovery as the Daleks unveil their most disturbing plan yet.

    Note: This was the first of a two-part story, featuring the four members of the Cult of Skaro first seen in 'Army of Ghosts'.

    'Evolution of the Daleks'

    • Broadcast: 28 April, 2007
    • Writer: Helen Raynor
    • Director: James Strong

    As the other members of the Cult of Skaro come to terms with Dalek Sec's sacrifice, the Doctor finds himself persuaded to help with their experiments. But why have the Daleks taken such an interest in the construction of the Empire State Building? And what is the purpose of their hideous pig mutants?

    'The Lazarus Experiment'

    • Broadcast: 5 May, 2007
    • Writer: Stephen Greenhorne
    • Director: Richard Clarke

    It's the end of the line for Martha's travels, or so she thinks. When a chance report on the time experiments of Professor Lazarus grabs the Doctor's interest, he takes Martha to witness them first hand. Unfortunately, Lazarus's grand opening night is a disaster in more ways than one and the Doctor comes up against an impressive enemy - Martha's mother!

    Note: Professor Lazarus was played by Mart Gatiss, whose previous contribution to the series was as the writer of 'The Unquiet Dead' and 'The Idiot's Lantern'.

    '42'

    • Broadcast: 12 May, 2007
    • Writer: Chris Chibnall
    • Director: Graeme Harper

    Cut off from the Tardis aboard a space ship 42 minutes away from plunging into a sun, the Doctor encounters a terrifying mystery. What is possessing the crew of the ship and why does it blame the captain for their situation?

    'Human Nature'

    • Broadcast: 19 May, 2007
    • Writer: Paul Cornell
    • Director: Charles Palmer

    Long ago in an English boarding school, there was a teacher called John Smith and a matron called Joan Redfern. They were friends at first, but as they grew closer, John began to tell Joan about his dreams, strange stories of a man who lived in a blue box and encountered strange monsters from space. Joan grew to enjoy his funny stories, but wished they didn't keep getting interrupted by John's maid, Martha. Sadly, neither John nor Joan realise that Martha is carrying a terrible secret. It's a secret that will break their hearts - that is, if the Family of Blood don't kill them first.

    Note: The first of a two-part story, this was adapted from Paul Cornell's previously-published Doctor Who novel of the same name.

    'The Family of Blood'

    • Broadcast: 26 May, 2007
    • Writer: Paul Cornell
    • Director: Charles Palmer

    Having possessed the bodies of four humans and turned lifeless scarecrows into their army, the Family of Blood stage an assault on the school to steal the Doctor's Time Lord secrets. But the Doctor is no longer a Time Lord and the vessel that contains his Time Lord essence has been stolen by a curious schoolboy...

    Note: Director Charles palmer is the son of actor Geoffrey Palmer, who previously appeared in Doctor Who in 'The Silurians' and 'The Mutants'.

    'Blink'

    • Broadcast: 2 June 2007
    • Writer: Steven Moffat
    • Director: Hettie Macdonald

    Underneath the wallpaper in an empty room in an old abandoned house, Sally Sparrow finds a message from the Doctor. With help from the brother of a friend, she discovers a chain of events involving hidden features on 17 DVDs, a series of really odd disappearances and a dire warning from the Doctor: don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink!

    Note: The basic concept behind this episode and the character of 'Sally Sparrow' had previously appeared in a short story written by Steven Moffat for the 2006 Doctor Who Storybook.

    'Utopia'

    • Broadcast: 9 June 2007
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Graeme Harper

    When the Tardis lands on the last outpost of humanity, far into the future, the Doctor, reunited with his friend Jack, and Martha meet a kindly professor who has dedicated his life to finding Utopia, a fabled place of refuge for humankind. As the Doctor and Jack help repair the rocket that will take the last humans to safety, Martha makes a terrifying discovery when she recognises Professor Yana's watch as an identical copy of the one the Doctor had used to become human. As the professor realises that he has been living a lie, the Doctor finally understands the Face of Boe's final prophecy...

    Note: The cameo role of Creet was played by John Bell, winner of a competition run by Blue Peter. Professor Yana was played by Derek Jacobi, who had previously played the part of The Master in 'Scream of the Shalka', an animated series produced for the official Doctor Who website.

    'The Sound of Drums'

    • Broadcast: 16 June, 2007
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Colin Teague

    The day after election day and Harold Saxon has been appointed Prime Minister of Great Britain. As the Doctor, Martha and Jack go into hiding, Saxon prepares for the coming of a new alien race - the Toclafane, whose arrival he claims will herald a new golden age. It won't, of course, but it will mark the recommencement of a game that Saxon has been playing with the Doctor throughout their lives... long ago, when Saxon was universally known by another name - The Master!

    'Last of the Time Lords'

    • Broadcast: 23 June, 2007
    • Director: Colin Teague

    A year has passed since Martha escaped, leaving the Doctor, Jack and her family to live as the Master's slaves. In that time, she's walked the Earth, following instructions that the Doctor gave her before she left. As the Master prepares his Paradox machine for the final stages of his war against the universe, and Martha discovers the horrible truth behind the Toclafane, the Doctor waits to deliver two words that could bring this evil empire tumbling down. But will the Master even listen?

    Note: This episode was extended for UK transmission to 52 minutes; along with other minor cuts, the scene where the Master gloats while singing to a song by the Scissor Sisters was removed for future overseas transmissions.

    2007 Special Episodes

    'The Infinite Quest'

    • Broadcast: 2 April – 30 June, 2007
    • Writer: Alan Barnes
    • Director: Gary Russell

    After defeating the evil Baltazar, the Doctor and Martha accompany Baltazar's pet bird Caw on a trip across the galaxy in search of computer chips that can open up a legendary spacecraft called The Infinite. The craft is said to grant the heart's desire of whoever can open it. But Baltazar is on their trail, and many other obstacles wil block their path - including space pirates and some very obstinate robots.

    Note: This animated adventure was made by Firestep, a team made up of former members of Cosgrove Hall for the children's magazine programme Totally Doctor Who and was shown in 12 4-minute segments in the weeks alongside series three. It was later compiled into one 45-minute special. Alongside David Tennant and Freema Agyeman, Anthony Head voiced the evil Baltazar. Head also appeared in the 2006 series episode 'School Reunion' as Mr Finch.

    Children In Need Special

    'Time Crash'

    • Broadcast: 16 November, 2007
    • Writer: Steven Moffat
    • Director: Graeme Harper

    Two Tardises collide in the space-time continuum and the Tenth Doctor finds himself confronted by the Fifth Doctor. It's all down to 'wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey' stuff, apparently.

    Note: Broadcast as part of the BBC's Children in Need appeal, this episode saw Peter Davison return to the series for the first time since 1993's 'Children in Need' special, 'Dimensions in Time'. The scene begins directly from the end of 'Last of the Time Lords' and leads straight into 'Voyage of the Damned'. Ish. The story was also the first of the modern special episodes not to be written by Russell T Davies.

    'Voyage of the Damned'

    • Broadcast: 25 December, 2007
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: James Strong

    The Doctor crashes into a space ship that's a replica of the RMS Titanic, flying above Earth's atmosphere, where he meets a conker-headed alien called Bannakaffalatta, a married couple called Morvin and Foon Van Hoff, a historian called Mr Copper and a starry-eyed waitress called Astrid Peth. When disaster strikes the Titanic, the Doctor and Astrid must lead the survivors to safety and try to prevent the ship crashing into the planet below...

    Note: This 75-minute special co-starred pop star Kylie Minogue as Astrid and introduced Bernard Cribbins as newspaper vendor Wilfred Mott.

    2008 Series

    Catherine Tate - first seen in 'The Runaway Bride' - returns as Donna, this time featuring as the main companion for the series. Jacqueline King once again plays Donna's mother Sylvia, while Wilfred Mott from 'Voyage of the Damned' is revealed to be her grandfather and is a recurring character during the series. Throughout their adventures this year, the Doctor and Donna encounter a number of aliens whose planet has 'disappeared' - a state of affairs that is explained in the final two episodes, along with the mystery of the disappearing bees, a real-life topical issue in 2008.

    'Partners in Crime'

    • Broadcast: 5 April, 2008
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: James Strong

    Donna Noble is back - and this time, it's personnel. Donna has realised she made a mistake turning down the Doctor's offer to accompany him on his travels and has become an amateur investigator in all things spooky. Her snooping leads her to Miss Foster of Adipose Industries where she's finally reunited with the Doctor - just as Miss Foster reveals the alien secret behind her company's miracle weight-loss system.

    Note: A familiar face is glimpsed at the end of the episode - see 'Turn Left' and 'The Stolen Earth' to find out who she is. Howard Attfield had been brought back to play Donna's father, Geoff, but ill health prevented him from completing filming. He died after recording just a couple of scenes. Bernard Cribbins was brought in as Donna's grandfather as a last-minute replacement, having impressed the producer with his brief cameo in 'Voyage of the Damned'.

    'The Fires of Pompeii'

    • Broadcast: 12 April, 2008
    • Writer: James Moran
    • Director: Colin Teague

    The Doctor takes Donna to Pompeii. Unfortunately, today's the day planet Earth learns a new word - "volcano". Some of the locals have developed second sight - but who is returning, and what exactly is on Donna's back? No time to answer those questions just yet as the Doctor must face the Pyrovile with nothing but his wits and a water pistol.

    'Planet of the Ood'

    • Broadcast: 19 April, 2008
    • Writer: Keith Temple
    • Director: Graeme Harper

    Oodsphere - the home of the Ood and the centre of operations for a galaxy-wide slave trading operation. What is 'the circle' and how can it be broken? The Ood are singing, but for one person their song will soon end...

    Note: The Ood were first seen in 'The Impossible Planet'. The Oods' final riddle is answered in 'The End of Time'.

    'The Sontaran Stratagem'

    • Broadcast: 26 April, 2008
    • Writer: Helen Raynor
    • Director: Douglas Mackinnon

    When a spate of mysterious deaths appear to lead to a worldwide sat-nav problem, Martha Jones of UNIT calls in the Doctor. Up above the planet Earth, the Sontarans are amassing a battle fleet with the intention of poisoning the atmosphere. Sontar-HA!

    Note: Martha Jones was revealed to be a member in UNIT in cross-over episodes in the spin-off series 'Torchwood'. The Sontarans first appeared in 'The Time Warrior' in 1973 and their leader, Christopher Ryan, previously appeared in 'The Trial of a Time Lord' as Lord Kiv.

    'The Poison Sky'

    • Broadcast: 3 May, 2008
    • Writer: Helen Raynor
    • Director: Douglas Mackinnon

    The skies are choking the people of Earth while a young genius makes his plans to escape the planet with his new allies, the Sontarans. Meanwhile, Martha isn't quite feeling herself and Donna discovers the power of a well-heeled shoe...

    Note: Martha Jones briefly (and accidentally) rejoins the Tardis at the end of this episode.

    'The Doctor's Daughter'

    • Broadcast: 10 May, 2008
    • Writer: Stephen Greenhorn
    • Director: Alice Troughton

    Note: Humans and Hath - two sides locked in a war. When the Doctor is sampled to create a new clone soldier for the humans, the resulting girl - named Jenny - declares herself to be the Doctor's offspring. As Martha spends a night crossing a swamp, Jenny gives the Doctor causes for parental concern.

    Jenny is played by Georgia Moffett, the real-life daughter of former Doctor Peter Davison.

    'The Unicorn and the Wasp'

    • Broadcast: 17 May, 2008
    • Writer: Gareth Roberts
    • Director: Graeme Harper

    A body in the library, sparkling cyanide, a crooked house and an appointment with death as Agatha Christie comes to stay. While the Doctor lays his cards on the table, Donna discovers there's death in the skies - and a bloody big wasp!

    'Silence in the Library'

    • Broadcast: 31 May, 2008
    • Writer: Steven Moffat
    • Director: Euros Lyn

    A party of explorers investigate an abandoned planet-sized library. One of them seems to know the Doctor intimately, even though he swears they've never met. There's a sinister threat in the shadows, but don't worry - Donna Noble has been saved. Donna Noble has been saved. Donna Noble has been saved...

    Note: Alex Kingston makes her debut here as Professor River Song.

    'Forest of the Dead'

    • Broadcast: 7 June, 2008
    • Writer: Steven Moffat
    • Director: Euros Lyn

    How are a child's nightmares linked to the events in the library? How does River Song know so much about the Doctor - including his name? And will Donna work out how she came to have a husband and two children in the blink of an eye?

    'Midnight'

    • Broadcast: 14 June, 2008
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Alice Troughton

    As Donna relaxes in a luxury spa on the alien world of Midnight, the Doctor decides to join a coach party on a tour of the planet's surface. When the coach breaks down off the beaten track, the Doctor decides to take the opportunity to get to know his fellow travellers. Big mistake. Big mistake. No really. No really. STOP IT! STOP IT!!

    'Turn Left'

    • Broadcast: 21 June, 2008
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Graeme Harper

    What if the Doctor hadn't prevented the Titanic from crashing into Buckingham Palace? What if Donna hadn't been there when he destroyed the Racnoss on Christmas Day? What if she'd never taken that job at HC Clements and met Lance? What if she's turned right instead of left? As she gains an insight into just how tragic her life could have been if she'd made just one different decision, Donna meets a blonde woman who promises her she can help her fix everything and put things back the way they should be. But can Donna trust her? And what is the relevance of the words 'Bad Wolf?

    Note: After making minor cameos throughout this series, Billie Piper returns as Rose Tyler. During Donna's parallel life, we see alternative points of view to the events in 'The Runaway Bride' and 'Voyage of the Damned'. Noma Dumezweni makes her first appearance a UNIT's Captain Magambo. The 'time beetle' that causes the shift in Donna's timeline is said to be an agent of The Trickster, a recurring character from the spin-off series The Sarah Jane Adventures. Although the character had been noticably absent throughout this series, this is the first point that it's specifically stated that Donna's father has recently died.

    'The Stolen Earth'

    • Broadcast: 28 June, 2008
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Graeme Harper

    Where is planet Earth? Who has taken it - and for what reasons? The Doctor needs answers and heads to the intergalactic police force, the Shadow Proclamation. Meanwhile, the terrified citizens of Earth have little time to come to terms with the fact that their planet has been moved across space before a fleet of alien spaceships attacks. The Daleks have invaded Earth...

    Note: The Judoon, first seen in 'Smith and Jones', make a return here, along with Rose and Jackie Tyler, Captain Jack Harkness, Mickey Smith, Martha Jones, former prime minister Harriet Jones, Sarah Jane Smith and K-9. For those viewers who haven't been watching The Sarah Jane Adventures, this is the first time they'll learn of the existence of Sarah Jane's son Luke and her super-computer 'Mr Smith', as well as Captain Jack's Torchwood colleagues Ianto Jones and Gwen Cooper, who is revealed to have family roots in Cardiff dating back to the Victorian era (see Eve Myles's role in 'The Unquiet Dead' to see why this is relevant). Julian Bleach appears as Davros, creator of the Daleks, who was first seen in 'Genesis of the Daleks' (1975) played by Michael Wisher and last seen in 'Remembrance of the Daleks' (1988), where he was played by Terry Molloy. Despite similar coloured Daleks in the two theatrical movies of the 1960s, the Supreme Dalek in this story is the first red Dalek to be seen in the programme's history.

    'Journey's End'

    • Broadcast: 5 July, 2008
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Graeme Harper

    Davros, the insane creator of the Dalek race, intends to use a cluster of stolen planets to create a reality bomb that will destroy all of creation. As the Doctor's army, the [Children of Time', assembles, help is on hand from an unexpected source. Exposed to the time vortex, Dalek Caan is now an insane prophet of doom, with a special message for the Doctor's most loyal companion: 'You will die'. With Earth now one of many planets millions of light years away from their correct place in the universe, can the Doctor prevent the Daleks from destroying time itself?

    Note: The Doctor's hand, which he lost during the swordfight with the Sycorax in 'The Christmas Invasion' and which turned up in a jar among Captain Jack's possessions in 'Utopia', plays an important part in the story, and we also see a return to 'Bad Wolf Bay', first seen in 'Doomsday'. The insane Dalek Caan was introduced in 'Doomsday' and by the end of 'Evolution of the Daleks' he was revealed to be the sole survivor of 'The Cult of Skaro'.

    2008 Special Episodes

    'Music of the Spheres'

    • Broadcast: 27 July 2008 (on digital 'Red Button' service), 1 January 2009 (BBC One)
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Euros Lyn

    The Doctor has finished composing his tribute to the sound of the universe - 'The Music of the Spheres' - but before its first performance, a Graske appears and knocks his manuscripts through a time portal into the Royal Albert Hall during the 2008 Proms. There's handy!

    Note: The Graske (once again played by Jimmy Vee) previously appeared in the 'Red Button' special interactive episode 'Attack of the Graske' and subsequently became a recurring character in The Sarah Jane Adventures.

    'The Next Doctor'

    • Broadcast:
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Andy Goddard

    He's tall, he's handsome and he has a sonic screwdriver, a Tardis and a plucky young companion. But is he really a future incarnation of The Doctor trapped in Victorian London? 'Our' Doctor isn't sure, but as he tries to unravel the mystery, the two Doctors join forces to prevent the Cybermen from activating the colossal Cyber King.

    Note: David Morrissey guest stars as 'the next Doctor'. By the time this story was broadcast, David Tennant had already announced his decision to leave the series, which added to the speculation that Morrissey was indeed his successor. The rest of this entry might spoil the surprise that, um, he wasn't.

    2009 Special Episodes

    As a new production team worked on creating a new series with a new Doctor for 2010, David Tennant played out his final adventures in a series of special episodes.

    'Planet of the Dead'

    • Broadcast:
    • Writer: Gareth Roberts and Russell T Davies
    • Director: James Strong

    The Doctor's investigation into a disturbance in time coincides with a jewel-thief's flight from the police. As both adventurers board a night bus making its way across London, the vehicle passes through a wormhole in space and time and lands in a desert on a planet occupied by a pair of stranded insect people and a swarm of deadly flying sharks...

    Note: Michelle Ryan appears as Lady Christina de Souza. Lee Evans guest-starred as UNIT's new scientific adviser, Malcolm Taylor, and Noma Dumezweni played Captain Erisa Magambo, first seen in the parallel world of 'Turn Left'. This story was promoted as Doctor Who's 200th adventure, although Russell T Davies did note that this involved ignoring the unbroadcast 'Shada' and counting 'Trial of a Time Lord' as one story (which it was on original transmission, but subsequently considered four stories so that the 1987 story 'Dragonfire' could be promoted as story 150).

    'The Waters of Mars'

    • Broadcast:
    • Writer: Phil Ford and Russell T Davies
    • Director: Graeme Harper

    The Doctor visits Bowie Base 1 on Mars only to realise far too late that he has stepped into a 'fixed point' in history: The crew of Bowie Base all died in an inexplicable nuclear explosion. As base leader Adelaide Brooke refuses to allow the Doctor to leave, members of the crew are being converted into blank-eyed water zombies. Something deep within the ice of Mars wants to possess them all and the Doctor must ensure none of the crew returns to Earth. Or does he?

    Note: Lindsay Duncan guest stars as Adelaide Brooke. in the final scenes, we see a vision of Ood Sigma from 'Planet of the Ood' and there are references in the episode to a prediction made in 'Planet of the Dead' that 'he will knock four times'.

    'Dreamland'

    • Broadcast: 21- 26 November, 2009 (via Red Button service), 5 December, 2009 (BBC One)
    • Writer: Phil Ford
    • Director: Gary Russell

    Nevada, 1958. A quick stop-off at a diner leads the Doctor to become embroiled in sinister events beneath the surface of the desert. The legendary Area 51 - also known as 'Dreamland' - is about to become a battleground for the Viperox...

    Note: A second animated serial for David Tennant's Doctor and a second 'companion' role for Georgia Moffett, previously 'Jenny' in 'The Doctor's Daughter' and here she plays 'Cassie'. Also in this story is Lisa Bowerman, who played Kara in 'Survival', the final story of the original run of Doctor Who, and who later played the Doctor's former companion Bernice Summerfield in a series of audio adventures for production company Big Finish.

    'The End of Time - Part One'

    • Broadcast: 25 December, 2009
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Euros Lyn

    'He will knock four times'. As the Doctor returns to the planet of the Ood, the ominous prophecy that has haunted him begins to come true. The Master has been reborn and soon the Time Lords must face the end of time itself...

    Note: John Simm returns as The Master and Bernard Cribbins gets official companion status as Wilfred Mott takes a trip in the Tardis for the first time.

    'The End of Time - Part Two'

    • Broadcast: 1 January, 2010
    • Writer: Russell T Davies
    • Director: Euros Lyn

    The last chapter of the Time War is written, the prophecy is fulfilled and the Doctor faces his final hours... has the moment been prepared for?

    This is David Tennant's final episode as the Tenth Doctor and Matt Smith's first appearance as Doctor number 11.

    h2g2's Doctor Who Episode Guide


    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Edited Entry

    A14151016

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry

    Categorised In:


    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more