Bedford Rugby Club Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Bedford Rugby Club

1 Conversation

The Bedford 'Blues' Rugby Union Football Club (so called because the club colours are blue and... blue1) aspired from their foundation to put Bedford on the map. Having discovered that Bedford was already on the map, they decided that it would be their mission to make sure someone, somewhere, had heard of it. Read this entry, and make their dream come true.

The Town

Bedford is the county town of Bedfordshire, a county in Eastern England located just north of London and bordered by Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire. Bedford sits on the Great River Ouse and was an important town as far back as the middle ages, when it was recorded in the Domesday book. If they were to make the place famous, the players had their work cut out for them.

The Club History

Bedford RUFC emerged in 1886 from a merger between Bedford Swifts and Bedford Rovers. The stripes of dark and light blue that make up the club kit are said to derive from the colours of Oxford (dark blue) and Cambridge (light blue) reflecting the ties of Bedford Schools to both these Old English Institutions. The Club's regular ground was settled as Goldington Road in 1895, and they are still there over 100 years later.

At the start of the 1996 - 1997 season, the club turned professional and substantial investment from Sports Network Europe financed it to the top division in 1998. Two seasons later they were relegated (a harsh punishment for the minor crime of finishing bottom of the league) having survived by a play-off the previous season. Financial complications saw the club sold off and nearly moved out of the town in 1999. The club was purchased by a consortium of local businessmen who transferred the club to the ownership of the newly formed 'Bedford Blues Ltd'. The club has been supported since then by its supporters and investment from local businesses. It's now semi-professional. Bedford RUFC is currently one of three Rugby Union Clubs in the town.

The Trophies

Aside from league titles, Bedford RUFC have had two major trophy successes. The club won what was then the knock-out cup in 1975, with a 28-12 win over Rosslyn Park at Twickenham. Thirty years later the club returned to Twickenham2 to win the Powergen Shield with a 14-13 win over Plymouth.

Weird Trophy Fact

During the shortlived Cheltenham and Gloucester Cup, Bedford reached the final twice. The finals were in successive years. Both finals were held at Franklin Gardens (home of Bedford's local rivals Northampton). Both finals were against Gloucester (who, yes, already had their name on the trophy). Both finals were defeats for Bedford. Some people3 hoped that this history of Cup Final symmetry would repeat itself when Bedford returned to Twickenham for the Powergen Shield in 2006. It didn't.

The Club

The Club is still based at Goldington road, where you can enjoy a pint courtesy of the club's long-time sponsor Charles Wells (they make it, that is, they won't pay for it) in the 'Scrum Hall' which has been at the ground since 19104. The south stand has been in place since 19335. New supporters and rival fans will find a friendly welcome from an enthusiastic following and you can confidently commune with the home supporters in the knowledge that they will cheerfully share their views without rancour and (mostly) without prejudice. If you are new to the town and looking to get involved in the community, it is a great place to start.

How to get there

Bedford is situated right on the A6 and neatly between the M1 and the A1. Goldington road leads directly on to the A248.

If you are coming by train, Bedford Railway station is less than a mile away.

If you plan to row into Bedford (Why not? It's a lovely day!) the Ouze runs parallel to the Embankment. The swans are very friendly and will happily point you in the right direction. Locals are to be avoided, as they tend to bite.

Everyone is looking forward to your visit.

1Local literary Hero John 'Pilgrim's Progress' Bunyan has always inspired a spirit of creativity at the club.2Just as some of the fans had got the train back from the previous game.3Well, at least one person.4Impressively, the hall's age doesn't show.5It shows.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A11814798

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more