The St Louis Radio Guide Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The St Louis Radio Guide

3 Conversations

One of the most annoying things while driving around an unfamiliar town is the inability to find a decent radio station playing music you like. If you're ever driving around St Louis, then hopefully this entry will help.

There are many radio stations within the St Louis area. Depending on your mood, interests, or time of day there are likely to be several stations that can be recommended. This entry is based on the status of St Louis radio as of summer, 2006. Many of the major stations (KSHE, WIL, Y98, KMOX) are not likely to change format, but others may change on a fairly regular basis.

With nearly 50 stations with registered call letters, at times the St Louis dial can be a bit crowded. If you have a device that uses empty radio frequencies to broadcast in your car you may find your device useless as you pass through town, depending on the sensitivity of your tuner.

Tune In - By Genre

This entry will give information for the major stations with the most popular formats. There is certainly variety to be found outside the offerings listed here. Playlists are also subject to popular demand, but where bands are listed they will give you an idea of the types of music you will most often hear on that station.

Rock-n-Roll and Alternative

  • K-SHE 95: KSHE 94.7 FM plays standard rock and roll fare from the 70s through new releases. Playlist includes Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd and AC/DC. KSHE also hosts the syndicated morning talk show Bob and Tom.
  • K-HITS 96: KIHT 96.3 FM plays classic rock and roll including bands like Lynrd Skynrd, Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix.
  • 1057 The Point: KPNT 105.7 FM features new alternative music by bands like Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Staind.
  • 106.5 The Arch: WARH 106.5 FM plays nearly anything rock, old or new. You might hear Pink, Steppenwolf and the Thompson Twins all in the same set. The Arch also features all-day, every-day no-repeats.

Country

Most of the country stations in the St Louis market are variations on a theme, playing mostly the same music in different order. On any of these stations you can find music by Dolly Parton or Garth Brooks or Tim McGraw, and the strongest and most popular stations are:

Classic country can be found on the AM dial, featuring original music by legendary country artists including Johnny Cash, Eddie Arnold and Loretta Lynn.

Adult Contemporary

  • 101.1 The River: WVRV 101.1 FM is pretty much middle-of-the-road contemporary/top 40, playing a heavy rotation of popular music like Dave Matthews Band, Matchbox 20 and Coldplay. The River also hosts the syndicated morning show Steve and DC.
  • Y-98 FM: KYKY 98.1 FM is a little edgier and a little more pop than 101, including more music from younger performers like Britney Spears, and crossover artists like Nelly and Usher.
  • 102.5 KEZK: KEZK 102.5 FM is at the lighter end of the contemporary scale, with more Celine Dion and Michael Buble.

Hip-Hop and R & B

Hip-hop and R & B, including artists like Mary J Blige, Eminem and Nelly can be found at many stops on the dial, including:

Talk Radio

Talk radio comes in many varieties, and chances are good that you will find conversation on a subject that piques your interest somewhere on the dial.

  • 97.1 Talk: KFTK 97.1 FM is primarily conservative talk.
  • KMOX: KMOX 1120 AM is news talk, and is one of the strongest stations in the area with the widest broadcast range.

And then, of course, there's sport...

  • 550 AM: KTRS 550 AM broadcasts Blues hockey games and Cardinals baseball games in addition to standard talk-radio fare.
  • 590 The Fan: KFNS 100.7 FM and 590 AM simulcast sports talk by ESPN radio.
  • KRFT 1190 is Fox Sports radio.

College Radio

The local universities offer a variety of programming from their broadcasting departments.

  • SIU-Edwardsville: WSIE 88.7 FM Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville has a jazz format, sadly the only jazz left on the FM dial.
  • 98.1 The Wood: KCLC 89.1 FM is commercial-free adult contemporary from Lindenwood University.
  • 90.7 KWMU: KWMU 97.1 FM University of Missouri - St Louis is the local NPR1 affiliate, also featuring programming from PRI2.

Christian and Gospel

There's no shortage of spiritual programming featuring talk or a variety of musical styles on AM or FM, including:

Still Can't Find What You Like?

A few more stations, that don't necessarily fit any of the above categories:

1National Public Radio2Public Radio International3Second oldest in the country.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A1155827

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more