The Guide Revised
The Guide Revised project is currently being set up to allow Researchers to do a complete review of the entire Edited Guide. If you are interested, feel free to add this account as a friend and subscribe to this page.
The Edited Guide is a fantastic repository of knowledge. But as time goes by, Edited Guide Entries sometimes go out of date. Styles of writing have also changed, and some articles that were let into the Guide years ago wouldn't pass our more stringent criteria today.
If you aren't able to help us revise but are interested in finding a topic to Update, try the list of suitable EGEs here.
What is the 'Guide Revised' project'?
The Guide Revised project is a long-term project to review every Edited Entry in the Guide, check out the facts and links, check for new information, and see if it is still as relevant today as it was when it was written. Many will pass with flying colours, but many need some work.
This is a giant undertaking. With close to 10,000 EGEs in the Guide, it's not something that will happen overnight. And, once we're done, it'll probably be time to start all over again! But if we want to keep the EG up to date, something has to be done, and the sooner we start the better.
Can I help?
Absolutely. The more the merrier! Just add this account as a friend so you'll receive the lasest updates and join in. There will be a few criteria that you will have to meet though:
- You must already be familiar with the Peer Review system and the Update procedure. This doesn't mean you know them backwards, but that you know roughly how they work and when to refer things to the Curators etc.
- You must be prepared to go through Entries with a fine-toothed comb, double check facts, click on every link, and be prepared to search for more up-to-date information if you think it's needed.
- You must agree to keep the rest of the group informed of where you are up to and what you are working on - it is crucial that we all work together so we don't end up duplicating each others' work.
- You must be prepared for the fact that a lot of your hard work will never be credited to an Entry - you are doing this for the good of the Guide rather than personal recognition.
In what order are you going to go through the EG?
At the moment, it looks like there will be an Unedited Entry created with a list of EGEs from a particular set of dates (depending on how many were put up at that time). It will be up the the reviewer whether they choose to review in a specific order or whether they want to pick EGEs according to their own interests, so long as they keep the group informed. As the current page becomes complete, this account will set up the new page and post the link in its journal.
How does it work?
So far the procedure is:
- Choose an EGE.
- Review the EGE1.
- If it's fine, just post to the 'okay' thread that it doesn't require an Update and I'll update the main list.
- If it requires an Update, post to a new thread to say roughly what it requires and whether you are able to take it on.
- If you can take it on, continue Updating as normal and post again when it is complete so I can update the list. If you can't take it on, it will be added it to the Entry of EGEs that need updating, and mark that on the list.
Will I have to make corrections myself?
Not necessarily. If you feel unable to go through the Update yourself, post to the conversation and other arrangements will be made. You don't have to do them straight away either - all we ask is that you keep us up to date as to your progress.
Last updated: Tuesday 1st June 2010 by Vip
- check all the links still work (those are often the first to go).
- check if there's more EGEs that could be linked to (they could have been written after the EGE was published) and ask the Curators to add these through Editorial Feedback.
- check to see if any facts could have changed (especially with EGEs that are about about current people/culture).
- just a general read through to see if it still makes sense and that it seems appropriate for the Guide. Some of the early Entries were rather and you may want to flag those up for a group decision.
|Messages left for this Researcher||Posted|
|Entries needing Updates||Aug 18, 2011|
|ACE visiting....||May 6, 2010|
|Conversation Title||Latest Post||Latest Reply|
|Entries needing Updates||No Posting||Aug 18, 2011|
|Hello any willing volunteers!||Jul 16, 2010||Jul 16, 2010|
|Cancelling TGR project.||Jul 16, 2010||Jul 16, 2010|
|Cancelling TGR project||Jun 3, 2010||Jun 24, 2010|
|TGR: These are okay - July 1999||Jun 9, 2010||Jun 14, 2010|
This user has no Entry subscriptions
The Guide Revised
Most Recent Edited Entries
- This user has not written any Edited Entries.
h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of Not Panicking Ltd. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."
The Guide Revised has no Friends
- 2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...
- Florida Sailor All is well with the world
- I'm not really here
This user has no Bookmarks