A Conversation for SEx - Science Explained

SEx, Chicks embryos in fresh eggs

Post 1

Yvonne aka india

Recently there have been small embryos in our eggs when I've broken them for use. Is this an indication of the age of the egg, a commentary on the conditions in which the hen has lived, and apart from looking horrid, is there any harm in them being there? Not intending on changing our supplier, just curious.

Post 2

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Hi Yvonne,

I was under the impression that the tiny blob you get in an egg shows that it's been fertilised. Your supplier might be keeping a cockerel with the hens? In which case your eggs are probably nice and free range in the true sense of the word. Battery eggs don't suffer from this 'problem', which can be a nuisance if you're a bit squeamish.

Post 3

Titania (gone for lunch)

Is it true that hens will lay eggs even without a cockerel around?

Post 4

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

the person to ask is JackRuss - he keeps hens. I'll go and knock on his door. Or rather his personal space.

smiley - chick

Post 5

Rod

Yes they do. Dorty keeps 3 chooks (the sort without cocks) and I provide some wood shavings which they love, apparently. We occasionally get eggs which we love - so does doglet.

Post 6

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

smiley - smileymorning all smiley - biggrin

I have around 60 odd chickens and a cockerel, i did suffer from this problem till i changed the hens, i try to have young hens, up to around 18months old then sadly they tend to end up on the table, and the hens i use are

1, legbar, cotswold vierity

2, lowland browns

3, light sussex

I find on the whole that if the hens are of the free range type then you'll have this type of problemsmiley - smiley

hopes this helps, and if you needs anymore advice just ask smiley - biggrin

RJR (the living proof

Post 7

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

have a read of this

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/birds/info/chicken/egg.shtml

smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post