A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 21

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Can't think of any from the old series either... this is slightly worrying as I can usually innuendos that nobody else gets.

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 22

I can usually *spot* innuendos!

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 23

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Well, there's all the stuff about 'dancing' from Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, for a start. There's Rose's suggestion that Jabe and the Doctor 'go polinate'.

smiley - ale

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 24

Oh, and for the old series, how about the Doctor's line in King's Demons about big beds being 'another way of keeping warm'?

smiley - ale

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 25

Now that I think about it I remember the 'go pollenate' line... but that's hardly 'laden with silly innuendos'.

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 26

Oh, I wasn't agreeing that it was; just that I could think of a few slightly smutty comments.

smiley - ale

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 27

IctoanAWEWawi

There's a surprise, KA see's innuendo where others don't smiley - winkeye

On the whole question of sexuality, it just seems very odd to ascribe human sexuality to an alien. Surely the question of which sex the Doctor goes for is totally overshadowed by which species he goes for?

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 28

HonestIago

I think another issue with this is that not only is Russel T. Davies gay but John Bannerman, who played Captain Jack, is openly bisexual. Since it was Jack involved in most of the supposedly 'gay' scenes, it must have been an attempt by a gay writer and a bi actor to make Dr Who gay. Get with the conspiracy guys.
Seriously, although I've not seen any earlier episodes of Dr Who and can't comment, I didn't think there was anything particularly gay in the recent series. There was flirting of all sorts, but I know plenty of people (myself included) who will flirt with anyone, regardless of sexual preference

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 29

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Stephen Moffat, that's the guy.

Oh, and other guy (sorry, forgot your name while waiting for this to load) how could you *not* notice?

There have been some episodes where it seemed like Eastenders! What was that incredibly silly scene with Jackie in her dressing gown acting like Cilla Brown from Coro St., about in the second episode? That was the nadir, IMO... so far - but from what I read on the other thread, there's worse to come.

But we have persisted and it has s-l-o-w-l-y got better...

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 30

Steven Moffat. Right.

So, when looking for a writer to illustrate silliness and/or innuendo, you don't pick the author of episodes revolving around farting naked aliens, oh no. You pick the author of two of the most critically aclaimed, atmospheric episodes ever. The episodes that feature pretty much the least humour. The episodes that had the sound of cracking skulls cut from them for being too scary.

Oh, I can't be bothered.

smiley - ale

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 31

<>

That was the first episode, and I have to agree about the 'soapy' elements... Doctor Who isn't exactly what you could call hard sci-fi but Jackie and Thicky Micky just got on my nerves.

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 32

Absolutely! My benchmark of Dr Who writing, comes from the DVDs my son has (about 10, I believe) and Robert Holmes is the gem, the prince, the genius! The Three Doctors, with his splendid commentary on his own vegetarianism, in the form of Shockeye, awesome!

My favourite Doctors are the second and third.

Also, what I've seen of Sylvster McCoy's Doctor, and Ace - now, there's a companion! Curse of Fenric is the best of the Sylvestor McCoy stories. (You can tell I am shaky on the spelling of his first name, can't you...)

But please, the soap elements of what is it to us, the present series are unbearable.

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 33

You mean The Two Doctors. That's the Colin Baker/Pat Troughton one. The Three Doctors is Hartnell/Troughton/Pertwee. And not written by Robert Holmes.

Rather than 'soapy', I'd say the 'going back to Rose's family' stuff smells of fan fiction; which I guess isn't that surprising, gievn where some of the writers came from.

smiley - ale

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 34

Nah... it's not fan fiction... there's no pointless shagging!

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 35

That's why I said smells of fan fiction, rather that 'belongs in fan fiction'. Fan fiction has to have pointless shagging. I've only read one half-way decent attempt at a Doctor/Companion relationship in all my years in fandom.

smiley - ale

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 36

<>
smiley - biggrin
It's practically the law... the only fan fic I've ever seen that *didn't* feature pointless shagging was a rather dire Star Trek/Hellraiser crossover where nothing really happened and it kind of fizzled out after three paragraphs.

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 37

Yes, I did mean the Two Doctors, sorry,and the one I was thinking of definitely was Robert Holmes, no question.

I note from a fan site that it takes til ep 8 of season 2 before the series ever gets to another planet. From what I've seen so far, RTD and his stable of writers were too intent on (a) being 'clever' and (b) selling to an American niche audience to make the stories terribly interesting! As to the original question - yes, it's been 'gayed' up - I never noticed any innuendo in previous series, but then I am not looking! However, in this latest one, it's too intrusive.

Sometimes, it's been a horrible mix of Eastenders and 'Up Pompeii'! Plus, what's with the sonic screwdriver and psychic paper? It all obviates the need for cleverness. The Christopher Ecclestone doctor is not terribly bright, appears monstrously egotistical and not in a charming way, and Rose is about as stupid as the stereotype of Billie Piper as pop-tart would suggest.

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 38

This Time Round doesn't hav... oh wait, yeah it does. One of the sequences featured Peri marrying all the Doctors.

I'll never forget encountering some 3rd Doctor/Brigadier slash out in the wastes of the 'net. That didn't half give me a shock.

smiley - ale

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 39

The sonic screwdriver has existed since Troughton and psychic paper is very handy as the new format means they haven't got time for the standard "Doctor and/or companion gets arrested and imprisoned" bit as that usually lasted at least one episode.

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 40

<>

I'm not a prude and I'm not a homophobe but: eww!

Key: Complain about this post

Is Dr Who gay?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more