A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 81

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

smiley - biggrinsmiley - somersaultsmiley - biggrin

>>>
As far as I am concerned, while Queer finds its beginnings in sexuality, by providing a model that questions the stability of gender, it can be used to read issues such as race, community, gender, popular culture, etc. It is a very slippery term, since to define queer would, as Nikki Sullivan states, be 'a decidedly unqueer thing to do', but there is possibly some satisfaction in seeing queer as a strategy or an attitude, as a verb rather than a noun, and considering the idea of 'to queer'. Sullivan gives a good definition of this as,
'; to queer - to make strange, to frustrate, to counteract, to delegitimise, to camp up - heteronormative knowledges and institutions and the subjectivities and socialities that are (in)formed by them and that (in)form them'
(A Critical introduction to Queer Theory 2003:vi)
<<<

smiley - applause

>> But it's not about whether the Dr is gay or not... For me, it's simply about challenging 'the natural', the assumed, the 'way it is' and, by shifting our expectations, challenging a heteronormative world. <<

smiley - applausesmiley - applause

So, any chance you can put your lecture online? Or maybe write a Guide Entry for h2g2? smiley - winkeye

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 82

SnowWhite

Ok; without even having thoroughly read the thread, is Russell the blonde one?
I remember as a child my dad liking the brunette Dr. Who, and when they changed to the "Foppy" blonde, my dad said "aagh! The other guy was a Dr. Who, this guy is a Dr. What" with that emphasis on What that yes, he thought he was gay.

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 83

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I'd just like to raise a glass to Della. smiley - bubbly May she forever run away and stick her head in the sand instead of trying to analyse the issues and help work out a reasonable compromise.

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 84

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Is Russell the blonde what?

Russell T Davies is the current Producer and head Writer of Doctor Who, and he isn't blonde.

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 85

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Are you kidding, Mr D? I got banned/pre-modded for 3 s*dding months for upsetting Hoo before - do you think I want that to happen again? (Actually, as I found two other boards where free speech really *is* free, it wasn't that bad of a time, but even so... )

Is Dr Who gay?

Post 86

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

"For me, it's simply about challenging 'the natural', the assumed, the 'way it is' and, by shifting our expectations, challenging a heteronormative world."

Challenging 'the way things are' on whatever level is often what Doctor Who's about. Look at the Rills and the Dravahians (I think that's spelt wrong).

Or the Happiness Patrol. Colin Baker once siad that at the Doctor's core is a fundamental belief in the 'rightness' of things. Not always happy, or beautiful, or easy, but right.

smiley - ale

Key: Complain about this post