james

its not easy being a sf writer

Intellegent SF can you name some?

Post 63

Sea Change

Startide Rising by David Brin.

Post 64

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

Thanks to the discovery of Buckminster Fullerine (C60),
Clarke's space elevator (see Fountains of Paradise)may be
feasable........

Also, watch this space for the 'RAMA' series...............!!!

'G'

Post 65

Xanatic(phenomena phreak)

I didn´t think that even Bucky would have been strong enough for that. But making one would really be a revolution. Though I´m sure many religious groups would feel we were building a Bables Tower.

Speaking of space travel, does anybody know of a good way to make artificial gravity? I mean as in a spaceship. Rotating it is one way, but wouldn´t the gyroscope effect make it really hard to turn the ship?

Post 66

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

One of the later Foundation books by Asimov had a ship that manipulated gravity for both inside the ship and used it as a means of moving the ship. I think it was Foundation and Earth.

Robert L. Forward's book Indistinguishable from Magic talks about a lot of the ways for doing things that they have in science fiction.

Post 67

Andy

Artificial gravity could be made (i think) using a centrifuge. But the best way would probably be to accelerate (at a rate of about 9 per second per second if you wanted to make earth-like gravity) or to decelerate at the same rate.

arse

Post 68

Andy

that's 9 feet per second per second!

arse

Post 69

Well, I was thinking of realistic methods of making artificial gravity. "Manipulating gravity" would require enourmous amounts of energy and I don´t think using it for those purposes will be possible for some millenia. The centrifuge thing would give the problem of turning the spaceship, as I talked about earlier. And keeping that particular acceleration wouldn´t be much of an idea either, having a spaceship that can only travel at certain velocities. And what if you turned a spaceship, after it had accelerate at that rate for some time, wouldn´t the g-force just tear everybody apart?

arse

Post 70

Phil

Circular cross section craft. Spin on the long axis and you have acceleration towards the edges. If the craft is large enough then you wouldn't notice the spin (ie the wheel style of space station as in 2001).
The other option is to not bother with introducing an artificial gravity and have all the work done in 0g - magnetic soled shoes etc could be used...

arse

Post 71

The wheel shape would probably be the only useable one for spinning. Having a cross-like one wouldn´t be that clever. Because going from one end to the other you would go through many shifts in gravity. But magnetic shoes is no good, you would stick to the floor, but your body would still face the effect of microgravity. Magnetic shoes is more something that should be used in the port where spaceships would land.

Post 72

njan (afh)

Iain M Banks. Stephen baxter.

Suggestions from each author:

Timelike Infinity (Baxter)

Excession
Use of Weapons
Consider Phlebas (IM Banks)

If you like Iain M Banks, also try Walking on Glass by Iain (no M) Banks. About Iain Banks's only book (Walking on Glass is very very very good).

Post 73

Cloviscat

Hello? Iain Banks' only book? What about Espedair Street - one of my favourites about an aging rock musician, or The Bridge - which borders on SF, or Complicity - a rather gory, but clever, murder mystery, or The Crow Road, a not so gory but quite fun murder mystery? Or Is? or Song of Stone?

Post 74

Cloviscat

Blew a synapse there I think:
Message ends: Or Whit? or Song of Stone?

Post 75

njan (afh)

The only one that's in the least bit readable is Song of Stone, and that's really really twisted (but a very good book, nonetheless). I've read Whit, the Crow Road, the Busines (Or whatever it's called), and a few others, and I liked them about as much as I liked Feersumm Enjinn, IMB's only bad book. smiley - biggrin

Post 76

a girl called Ben

Aren't Iain M Banks and Iain Banks the same guy, anyway?

The magnetic soled boots might be ok for holding you on to things, but they wouldn't help with problems like blood accumulating in your head, and the other gravity-dependent physiological effects.

Post 77

Phil

Iain Banks (middle name Murray isn't it) adds the M initial for his Sf work to distinguish it from his other works.

Post 78

njan (afh)

*nods*... although it has to be noted that some of IMB's books are very un-sf like. (eg. Inversions)

Post 79

Cloviscat

Well i still like Espedair Street. call me soppy if you like...

Post 80

njan (afh)

soppy if you like. :-p

Key: Complain about this post