A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's Wrong With Americans

Post 6461

Baron Grim

You know what... I have to laugh... The idea that anyone would use the fact that Corvettes use leaf springs as further 'proof' that America is out of touch and therefore, from the general tone of ES, evil, really does make me giggle. No, seriously, that's a good one. Hold on, let me catch my breath. 'Leaf springs', oh you got me there! smiley - rofl

Post 6462

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

I'd also like to add that there's an indian car manufacturer who also uses leaf springs on some of their models.

smiley - cheers

Post 6463

badger party tony party green party

Hey Happiness Tutor how do you know all thissmiley - huh

smiley - rainbow

Post 6464

BouncyBitInTheMiddle

Well, I can't speak for American cars in general, but modern Fords all seem to do the job very nicely.

And some of the older Fords have real style, although they're probably not the most nimble of cars - I'm thinking Mustang, Capri etc.

Post 6465

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

Don't forget the old Ford Lotus Cortina Mk I

Hi blickybadger, call me TB, I like to read a lot.

smiley - cheers

Post 6466

purplejenny

I don't have a car. To me mustang means Sally and capri pants. smiley - smiley

Slightly off topic, I'm sad to see the continuing phase out of the london bus. smiley - bus I haven't a clue of the mpg or what thier springs are, but I just like to have them around. And theyre a great form of communal transport.

"The idea that anyone would use the fact that Corvettes use leaf springs as further 'proof' that America is out of touch and therefore, from the general tone of ES, evil, really does make me giggle."

And since I happened to have stumbled on this picture at the same time as that leaf spring post I'm more puzzled than ever.

http://www.helsinki.fi/~jhyvonen/PB/D/Gunnera%20chilensis+SS-pp.JPG

Post 6467

Saturnine

Blicky says : "That is a very unfair thing to say about ES, saturine . Change racist for bigotted though and your bang on."

I say : Learn to spell my username right Blicky and I will! smiley - winkeyesmiley - ok

Post 6468

HappyDude

re: London Buses
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3391507.stm

smiley - smiley

Post 6469

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

> That's great news! Now why didn't YOU think of that?

Excuse me? Why didn't I think of what? Gathering together hundreds of thousands of dollars? Launching a multi-media information blitz? Purchasing web space and printing bumper stickers, t-shirts, and buttons?

You, sir, are a moron.

Post 6470

And Empty, if you truly hate the U.S. so much, why didn't you suggest to your local civic leader that trade sanctions be levied against the U.S.? My goodness, you're ineffectual.

Post 6471

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

ES, racist? (BB, you're so fond of making that accusation against people, whoever will it be next?)
I thought we'd been through this at another part of the thread. There are 279 million North Americans, of varying races. Such an accusation is therefore just silly.
Neither is he bigoted against Americans as such...

Post 6472

.. it just looks like that when he says things smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheers

Post 6473

BryceColluphid

One reason many people don't take American cars seriously is many nations have such high tariffs on US autos that it is simply not practical to buy American. Americans on the other hand have negligible auto tariffs, which is why one sees almost as many Japanese vehicles on the road as American.

Post 6474

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

UK doen't have any tariffs on US cars and you see very few
Of course you'd have to import them specially in most cases
Because European petrol is much more expensive than in the US I think fuel consumption is the main reason why there isn't much of a market for them in Europe

Post 6475

> ES, racist? (BB, you're so fond of making that accusation against people, whoever will it be next?)
I thought we'd been through this at another part of the thread. There are 279 million North Americans, of varying races. Such an accusation is therefore just silly.

That's why I'm continally astonished that he should continue to proclaim that the majority of Americans are stupid, fat and unwell. So we can safely say that Empty isn't prejudiced against any particular American cultural group, just Americans in general.

Post 6476

Chiaraes

One theory from a quiet, considerate American...

Perhaps those of us who take the time to learn a bit about the culture and do their best to make less impact during a visit to other countries are simply less likely to be labeled "American".

During a recent visit to London (our first), we never encountered a single person who appeared put off by our behavior. As a new traveller abroad, I was looking for it in an attempt to tell when the "obnoxious American" in me appeared. I was dreadfully afraid of reinforcing that stereotype.

We dressed nicely, acted conservatively, and treated the locale with the respect of our "parent country". The only giveaway was the wide-eyed stares upon walking out of the tube station to see the Tower of London or turning a corner and seeing Big Ben's clocktower (Big Ben is, after all, the bell inside).

I'd like to believe that both the obnoxious American and those with a distaste for the obnoxious American are simply the only ones making noise. I can't wait to get back to England (and see other European countries), and I hope we always feel welcome there.

smiley - ale

Post 6477

rev. paperboy (god is an iron)

Chiaraes,
What a lovely reasonable, logical, sensible, calm comment to post. What the heck are you doing here? smiley - winkeyesmiley - ale

Post 6478

Chiaraes

Just using a bit of caution on my first post to the blog.smiley - cheers

FOR SOMEONE WHO HELPS KIDS LEARN TO READ YOU DONT DO IT ALL THAT WELL YOURSELF

Post 6479

READ THESE AGAIN DELLA.

Posted Yesterday by Saturnine (clever got me this far/then tricky got me in)
I know nothing about cars, and the rest of the conversation still seems to be revolving around ES's racist little stereotypes, so I'll just and post later. smiley - book

THAT WAS POSTED BY SATURNINE YOU CAN TELL BECAUSE IT HAS HER NAME AT THE TOP.

Posted Yesterday by blickybadger.......MY milkshake BRINGS all THE girls TO the YARD

That is a very unfair thing to say about ESsmiley - sadface, saturine . Change racist for bigotted though and your bang on.smiley - oksmiley - book

THIS WAS POSTED BY ME IT HAS MY NAME AT THE TOP, CAN'T YOU UNDERSTABD HOW THIS WORKS YET?

Posted 7 Hours Ago by Della the Cat Woman:
ES, racist? (BB, you're so fond of making that accusation against people, whoever will it be next?)

WHAT THE smiley - bleep ARE YOU ON ABOUT DELLA. YOU ARE INFACT RACIST IF YOU BELIEVE THERE ARE DIFFERENT "RACES" IN AMERICA. "RACE" IS A MYTH ANYONE WHO ENTERTAINS THE IDEA THAT THERE ARE DIFFERENT "RACES" OF PEOPLE EITHER HAS HAD AN INSUFFICIENT EDUCATION OR HAS AN INSUFFICEINT MIND TO COMPREHEND THE FACTS. AS I HAVE TRIED TO EXPLAIN THE FALLACY OF "RACE" TO YOU ON SEVERAL DIFFERENT ODCASSIONS I CAN ONLY ASSUME YOUR INSUFFICIENCY IS IN THE LATTER.

smiley - rainbow

FOR SOMEONE WHO HELPS KIDS LEARN TO READ YOU DONT DO IT ALL THAT WELL YOURSELF

Post 6480

Try these Della:

http://www.pih.org.uk/articles/chetty.html

If you cant be bothered here is an extract.
smiley - book
I think I am still dealing with the paradox of needing to accept that I am perceived as different whilst wanting to challenge the preconceptions that inform such a perception. I think 'Race' remains a taboo in Britain today. Everyday it is discussed in the media, yet people are often terrified to talk openly about it.

I believe this stems from the definition of racism as: 'A belief in the superiority of a particular race; prejudice based on this.' (OED)

This is commonly held to be a bad thing. It is the ideology of Hitler, who is commonly regarded as the personification of evil.

Little wonder then that many human beings are desperate to avoid being labelled 'racist' or even entering into a conversation which may result in other people accusing them of holding racist beliefs.

But recognising the reality of 'race' as a myth - an all-encompassing belief that informs our daily beliefs and actions - can help us towards a more accurate description of racism as: 'A belief that the human race can be divided into further races.'

Stated so direction, this definition challenges our present way of thinking. It leads us to conclude that:

We are all racist - to differing extents.
That the term 'race' is itself 'racist'.
That arguing over the quality of races is futile, as the belief in the existence of races was and remains a man-made system of division, and such division has led and continues to lead to inequality. (We may note that 'apartheid' literally translates to apart-hood. The term itself does not refer to superiority. However we have all seen the reality.)
smiley - book

http://film.guardian.co.uk/lordoftherings/news/0%2C11016%2C852217%2C00.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/africa/features/storyofafrica/index_section2.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/society_culture/multicultural/dabbott_01.shtml

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more