A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's Wrong With Americans

Post 6341

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

yeah, it is nice looking. I'm trying to get someone to go on the tour, ask the guide about it and then say/shout, 'Yeah, we kicked yo asses' smiley - winkeye

Ar you American or Canadian? that's the yes/no version of that question, not the either/or version

smiley - cheers

Post 6342

Empty Sky (Remember me fondly.)

I'm afraid it's a fact that that Americans are thick.

Evidence: The full reality of Amrerica's capacity to do wrong is not, and never will be, quite real to many Americans. Because they believe their countrymen to be somehow superior and not capable of doing wrong beyond a certain level. And so the evil continues. There's a mass murderr currently squatting in the White House and the most the average American has to say on the subject is "du-uh he's not getting my vote - again".

Evidence: The last desperate pretext to justify the invasion of Iraq is all about human rights, the removal of the Saddam regime and the subsequent liberation of the Iraqi people. But in falling for this nonsense, the average American appears not to notice the horrific denial of human rights being perpetuated by their own government in Guantanamo Bay. They allow the Bush administration to claim the moral high ground in Iraq (incidentally , something they're only doing because every other excuse for the invasion has been exposed for the lie it is), yet they cheerfully ignore Bush's own concentration camp.

Post 6343

rev. paperboy (god is an iron)

sorry to break in on the bile-fest but I was reading the backlog and came across this
"And America, with it's culture, and it's terrible food (and having been involved in another thread on another board about this topic, I KNOW this now), is the one at the top of the list. I don't think it's an issue of them being the Great Satan."

Let me get this straight - British food (the people who gave us the deep fried Mars bar, where the slogan is "if it isn't boiled grey, its battered and deep fried" - the country derided by the french as haveing only one sauce) is somehow better and healthier than American food?

Pot to Kettle, come in Kettle....

Post 6344

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

It was the Scots who gave us the deep-fried Mars bar.
British food is bad because we can't cook - eat a Sunday roast in a British pub, ghastly, and yet the place will be packed. U.S. food is bad for commercial reasons.

Post 6345

U195408

Question: Why and when did Empty sky change his view about the Iraq war

"Yes of course. The invasion of Iraq was [necessary, not] murder. The easiest and most natural thing would've [been] TO DO IT."

Empty, why are you flip-flopping? Can't you make up your mind?

dave

Post 6346

Saturnine

I'm British - arrived in Vancouver last Tuesday. smiley - winkeye

Post 6347

Saturnine

Uh. Wait one second.

Just because I think American food is the epitamy of dire, it doesn't mean to say I think British food is the best either.

Quite the opposite. My favorite food are Japanese/Chinese/Oriental dishes.

Don't jump to so many conclusions. I am not facile enough to hate any country based on stereotype.

Post 6348

Saturnine

US food is bad because it's all chemicals, no content.

British food is bad, because it's based on meat and potatoes and grease.

We white people can't cook to save our lives. smiley - winkeye

Post 6349

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

What's with everyone going to Canada? Clelba's in Canada too. It's not fair, I wanna be in Canada smiley - sadface

smiley - cheers

Post 6350

"country derided by the french as haveing only one sauce"

Yeah, but it's Custard, so it's nicer than all the french ones smiley - winkeye

Also, I happen to come from Birmingham, home of the Balti, which is neither fried nor boiled. Also, from Scotland there's the Clootie Dumpling, Poridge*, Cranachan, Oatcakes, Haggis, Rowies, Cullen Skink and Scots Pancakes, which more than make up for the whole deepfried mars bar thing.

In defence of the US though I'd like to remind people that it is the birthplace of the deep pan pizza and Chilli Con Carne**

smiley - cheers

*Done properly, with either salt or honey
**well ok Texas is the birthplace of Chilli, but it is now part of the US

Post 6351

U195408

Let's not forget Buffalo wings, and garbage plates. Uniquely US dishes.

dave

Post 6352

"Question: Why and when did Empty sky change his view about the Iraq war

"Yes of course. The invasion of Iraq was [necessary, not] murder. The easiest and most natural thing would've [been] TO DO IT."

Empty, why are you flip-flopping? Can't you make up your mind?

dave"

Dave, what is the number of the ES posting you're "quoting"?

Post 6353

U195408

did you just refer to yourself in the third person?

Post 6354

Yes. So what?

Now, Dave, since you seem to be obsessed with me (are there pictures of me all over your bedroom wall? - spooky) and you seem to have kept your own record of all my posts. How about supplying the number of the post on which you're grossly misquoting me today, to save me the trouble of looking for it???

Post 6355

A Super Furry Animal

Wha's a garbage plate? It *sounds* disgusting.

Modern British cuisine is amongst the best in the world. I have yet to eat a decent meal in America.

Post 6356

OK, found it at last. The post that Dave Obvious is referring to is number 6129 on this thread. It actually reads:

"The invasion of Iraq was unnecessary and murder. The easiest and most natural thing would've been NOT TO DO IT."

Now, Dave is trying to claim that it says:

Make up your own minds, people. Is Dave Obvious simply stupid, or is he being purposefully infantile and desperately trying to mock me? I believe it's the latter. And it's insulting and very irritating.

Should we take seriously anything Dave says in future?

Post 6357

U195408

A garbage plate is a MUST have meal if you're ever in Rochester, NY. First, start with a plate. Cover half the plate with macaroni salad, the other half with home fries (potatoes). Next, place 2 cheeseburgers patties (cooked) on top of plate. Pour some "au jus" over the top. Voila! Add hot sauce to taste.

The meat topping is option - regular burgers, hot dogs, chicken, fish and cheese sandwichs are available.

Variants include replacing the home fries with real fries, and the mac salad or potato with beans.

I prefer the standard cheeseburger/mac salad combo, but with fries instead of homefries.

dave

Post 6358

U195408

Empty, how do you explain this comment then, Re: invasion of Iraq:

"That's an occupation that's [necessary, justified, moral and legal] incidentally.

It should be obvious to everyone by now that the invasion of Iraq was [about] liberating the Iraqi people. That's [a] happy side-effect of the invasion, as [one] can really say that the Iraqi people are better off now than they were under Saddam."

I think you're flopping all over the political spectrum. You need to take some time for meditation, to settle your views and come to peace with the world.

dave

Post 6359

Saturnine

It's rather grey and rainy here right now. You stay where you are... smiley - winkeye

On the subject of food. I would just like to point out, that although America is notorious for it's convenience food, and us Brits have grease embedded in ours...let us not forget that most white food stems from us Brits, and America is a country based on immigration.

Post 6360

Dave, how do you explain this:

Dave Obvious a couple of days ago:

"I am a tedious little twit and I envy Empty Sky."

Dave Obvious an hour later:

"I worship Empty Sky and if I lived in the same city, I would stalk him."

Dave Obvious a further five minutes later:

"I have pictures of Empty Sky all over my bedroom walls."

Anyone notice a pattern?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more