A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How surprised are you (if at all) by these two facts?

Post 41

Mol - on the new tablet

Or a giraffe's bum. That was at a zoo, not a wedding, though.

Many congratulations, Hoo. My reactions went delight, surprise and then wow, in that order.

A bouncy castle was a very good idea. We had one at DH's 40th, for the same reason smiley - biggrin

Mol

Post 42

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

When my brother was married, a very young child in the family carried the videocamera. Many of the scenes were of people's legs smiley - laugh.

Post 43

Bluebottle

I've seen wedding reception footage like that filmed by an adult who had had a few too many drinks…

<BB<

Post 44

For some adults, *any* drinks are too many. smiley - winkeye

Post 45

Hoovooloo

Yes... it was for that reason I stayed pretty much sober the whole day. Apart from a sip of bubbly after toasts, I had one pint of beer all night, and was very glad of it.

Post 46

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

I actually saw this first on YouTube, being subscribed to you there and not having been on hootoo in a long time. It certainly took me a while to wrap my head around the idea.

TRiG.smiley - biggrin

Post 47

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

And now I see you mention that in Post 8.

So yes, people, 'twas I who sent Hoo here with this happy news.

Hi!smiley - run

Post 48

smiley - laugh

Post 49

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Moderately surprised at both actually. Having been on 'ere for around 13 years or so, I think I've read and at least 70% agreed with most of your stances, even if I have occasionally shouted at the screen "Hoo, just .. let .. it .. go !" smiley - winkeye.

Actually the thing about the wedding having to be kid friendly probably surprises me the most.. I'm fairly sure I remember some pretty strongly worded anti-child rants ( I may even have copied a few sentences here and there for potential inclusion in drunken arguments.. if I ever use them I will of course reference..)

It also makes me feel old, that I've been on a website long enough to actually observe people changing over time. smiley - yikes

Post 50

I don't mind people changing -- fast, slow, it doesn't matter. I hope the change is for the better....

Post 51

Orcus

i've changed a lot, shame I haven't been arsed to change my homepage since about 2002! smiley - laugh

Post 52

My home page is just right the way it is. Things had no right to change and make it out of date. smiley - winkeye

Post 53

Orcus

That's my philosophy too smiley - ok

Well that and laziness smiley - biggrin

Post 54

The world desperately needs purposeful laziness. Your mind comes up with its best ideas when it has no work to do. I'm serious about this.

Post 55

Icy North

I couldn't agree more.

Post 56

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

If you ever think that you will find retirement boring, even medically retired without notice as I was - think twice more. I find a day has insufficient hours for things to do and ideas to pursue.

Post 57

If you have to do things carefully and slowly, it's natural that time would be limited. smiley - sadface

Post 58

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Yeah, the physical stuff of the home and gardens maintenance is slower, but still met. (Ladders are an exhausting challenge).

But I have been supporting people in many ways, building web-sites for community service groups, active to a degree in those groups too. Not to mention proof-reading at a far reaching level for folks with things to publish. (I recently learned that I was named in the acknowledgements of a PhD thesis) . . .

There are dozens of ways to stay more than busy and never a moment to let go with a "woe is me" stuff.

Post 59

I'm glad that you are staying busy and happy. smiley - smiley

Post 60

Hoovooloo

I don't remember any anti-child rants (which doesn't mean they didn't happen). Links please! smiley - smiley

Most of my friends from school/uni have children, and I like them all, so there was no way they could be not invited.

I also had my attitude to children in my life changed by two kids I was around a lot in 2004-2006.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more