A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Alcohol. Does it assist in clear thinking or befuddle your brain?

Post 21

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

I cannot believe that nobody has yet posted Mitchell and Web's 'innebriate' sketch on here yet. I was made for this thread!

Post 22

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"I wonder if in near future there will be a whole host of ills attributed to caffeine" Quotes]

Coffee *already* has a long list of ills attributed to it. The attributions have extremely flimsy evidence, though. So many studies have been done on coffee's negative effects, and very few of the findings have held up to further scrutiny. Coffee seems to lead the pack in terms of beneficial antioxidants.

People are fickle. Scientists are fickle, too. They are apt to have the same biases and mental blocks as those around them. In the 17th Century, a doctor in Paris urged his fellow doctors to clean up the streets so as to reduce incidence of infectious diseases. He was promptly laughed out of town! Medications that were widely prescribed in earlier eras seem like horrible choices today. In the 1940s, my grandmother was prescribed a medication that contained mercury. She nearly poisoned herself with it. During the American Civil War, Louisa May Alcott harmed herself with a medication contained mercury.

Then there's Laudanum. You may have heard of it.

So, yes, new evidence of presently unknown harmful effects form coffee may come to light. With the randomness of the universe and the fickleness of the human species, all bets are off as to what will be considered safe or noxious in the future.

Post 23

Maria

bueno, what surely can work about coffee is to take it with moderation.

It´s true that of antioxidants,at least that what it´s said by scientists. they also say that the green grains are more antioxidant that the mature ones. that´s also happen with white tee.

One of my brother, a bonsaist? bought in Japan white tea, whole dried sprouts. In a kind of bowl with hot water he puts a sprout, after a few seconds it opens like a flower. It´s fantasticsmiley - magic

I picked a few springs ago sprouts of blackberry tree, dried them....made tea and loved the flavour.

Post 24

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Taking many things [including coffee] in moderation is a good idea. smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more