A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Olympic what?

Post 101

Icy North

smiley - laugh

Olympic what?

Post 102

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Did anybody else see the tribute to the NHS, and think of the people sitting on the far side of the stadium, asking each other "What's the SHN?"...

Olympic what?

Post 103

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

> the tribute to the NHS

Wasn't that just a way to rub Mitten's face in it?

TRiG.smiley - winkeye

Olympic what?

Post 104

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes

I guess protocol always demands they play to the Royal Box side.

I was impressed by the spelling out with hospital beds the acronym
GOSH which it seems was/is the name of a famous childrens' hospital.
Still wondering what GOSH actually means though.
Anyone?

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Olympic what?

Post 105

Icy North

It's Great Ormond Street Hospital in London. It's a pediatric hospital (that's children, not feet).

Olympic what?

Post 106

U14993989

From the BBC
Australia's Damien Hooper will not be punished for wearing a T-shirt with with the Aboriginal flag on it.

Hooper beat Marcus Browne - the first American to lose at the Games - but his win was overshadowed by controversy.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will not take action against Hooper, who was criticised by his own Australian Olympic Committee (AOC).

"I'm not saying I don't care [if there are sanctions]. I'm just saying that I'm very proud of what I did," he said.

"I'm Aboriginal, representing my culture, not only my country but all my people as well. That's what I wanted to do and I'm happy I did it."

It's a shame the BBC focuses on the PC "controversy", rather than the history of genocide and prejudice against his people.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18906357

Olympic what?

Post 107

swl

Yeah, well, it's a sports story on the sports page about the Olympics innit? smiley - erm

Anyhoo, looking at the French performance so far it looks like when they didn't get the Olympics, they started creating Olympians instead. Allez les Bleus. smiley - biggrin

Olympic what?

Post 108

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I'm just glancing through the latest news this lunchtime, and in a sailing category called the Men's Star, it seems that the British pair are leading. This is great, but even better is the fact that the second-place pairing (from Brazil) includes a guy called Robert Scheidt! Now that's a name to conjure with...

Olympic what?

Post 109

Bluebottle

If his name was Robert 'Roy' Scheider, he's gonna need a bigger boat...

<BB<

Olympic what?

Post 110

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

That's hardly sporting of the French.... Taking umbridge at not getting to hold the Olympics, and then, typically, in a non-sporting way, actually training their atheletes to be able to do well at their respective sports... Damn sneaky... damn damn sneaky....

Hows the dressage going? I've heard complaints on Twitter, as regards the finest of all sports, the beech vollyball, and certain dismay at the unsportsman (or unsportswoman) - like apparel that the competitors are being forced to wear.. leggings and loose fitting tops... Sounds most odd to me... smiley - winkeyesmiley - whistle
The only thing I have heard on the Homeservice on the wireless today, was about the Chinese swimmer, and wild accusations seemingly being lead by the American swimming coach over her potential use of drugs, on the basis that she did well... smiley - huhsmiley - weirdsmiley - weird

Olympic what?

Post 111

Bluebottle

I still can't believe that a few years ago the Athletics Committee said that a South African woman who had done well at running must really be a man, despite being female.

<BB<

Olympic what?

Post 112

Icy North

It was the anagram that did it:

Caster Semenya = Yes, a secret man

Olympic what?

Post 113

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - yikes
By golly, what a tingled weave we web
when first we practice to conceive.

~jwf~

smiley - ta

Olympic what?

Post 114

Icy North

Best excuse of the Olympics so far. Team GB's Mary King explains why she failed to win gold in the individual equestrian eventing:

"There is a big bronze lion in the centre of the arena, and because of that (the horse) got scared"

Olympic what?

Post 115

Effers;England.

Friend just told me someone has given her a ticket for the trampolining smiley - boing

Didn't know it was at the lympics...loved that at school.

Olympic what?

Post 116

Vip

I've just realised why the Olympics feels weird this year - it's the first time I have every really been able to watch any. Because I'm doing things at home, I can have it on in the background. Every other year I've never watched more than the odd highlight, and it's basically passed me by.

Funnily enough it's far more exciting when you actually get to watch it. smiley - doh

smiley - fairy

Olympic what?

Post 117

Icy North

They've got it showing on big screens at the office. All the employees are glued to it, but as I work for a contractor I have to turn my back and get on with my work (and check the BBC website for updates).

I don't think I've missed much, by the sound of it.

Olympic what?

Post 118

Effers;England.

Wow what a lovely way for GB&NI to get their first gold. Two women rowers..the crowd going mental, snort..and crikey what a passionate hug at the end with each other smiley - bigeyes...and in the interview afterwards they seemed just so ordinary somehow and happy.

smiley - bubbly

Olympic what?

Post 119

Bluebottle

Britain is the only country in the world to have won a Gold Medal at every summer Olympics since 1896.

<BB<

Olympic what?

Post 120

Orcus

Yay, at last, that should shut the moaning minnies up!

Haven't looked at this thread before. Going back to the opening ceremony, I'm glad I wasn't the only one noting Tolkienesque themes. Within minutes of it starting I posted a comment about it taking place in Hobbiton and wanting to know where Bilbo was smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post