A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Olympic what?

Post 161

U14993989

Great find from jwf smiley - ok

No wonder the Kazakhstanis are doing so well. A quarter of a million dollars would probably be enough to pay for a small Kazakh village.

Olympic what?

Post 162

Effers;England.

I'm getting a bit bored with the cycling, BUT (and note 2legs), I got in a while ago feeling completely done in, turned on the telly, and there was this magnificent big dark horse, Valegro doing the most wonderful performance..and looking like he/she was totally in the zone and smiley - zen with the rider, Charlotte Dujardin. I was smitten and entranced. I know nothing about Dressage..but I know a good thing when I see it, and I felt soo much better in myself smiley - magic

I was right. Apparently they nearly broke the world dressage record smiley - laugh

I think its my high point. Also I fell in love last night with fencing...

Olympic what?

Post 163

HonestIago

I love the cycling but I just don't understand keirin: why have the motorbike on for so long?

Olympic what?

Post 164

Effers;England.

Oh wow, yes cycling ain't so bad smiley - winkeye Brilliant world record from the boys.

I love that little motorised bike thing in the keirin, (yes I know you're a cyclist HI, but I've always been a lazy so and so that preferred motorbikes and now scooters, as 2 wheeled things).

Olympic what?

Post 165

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - biggrin

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about dressage
as understood by a reporter who is apparently just coming
to grips with such an understanding - even misinterpreting
Stephen Colbert's efforts to make dressage "the official
sport of Everyman for this summer".

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/08/01/rafalca/

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Olympic what?

Post 166

smiley - laugh

Stephen Colbert, in questioning a dressage trainer,
asked how the sport evolved, especially considering
that horses are traditionally used in warfare. He
tried to imagine the first warhorse who had to tell
his dad, "But I don't wanna go to war. I wanna dance."

The LA Times sees Colbert's satirical approach as the
best thing that's ever happened to dressage.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-0803-oly-elliott-20120803,0,1471649.column

"Colbert's antics might be the best thing that has happened to dressage in a long time.

"We've totally engaged with him," said James Wolf, executive director of sports programs for the U.S. Equestrian Federation. "He's a satirist and he pokes fun at everyone. We do compete in top hat and tails. You've got to be able to laugh at yourself."

smiley - ok
~jwf~

Olympic what?

Post 167

smiley - bigeyes
For the record, GB is doing very well in dressage.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/03/london-2012-charlotte-dujardin-dressage?newsfeed=true

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Olympic what?

Post 168

smiley - pony
And a Canadian rider has broken with one
of the great traditions of dressage by
refusing to wear a top hat.

http://horsetalk.co.nz/2012/08/03/rider-makes-olympic-dressage-history-hard-hat/#.UBwSdvZlRd0

smiley - ok
~jwf~

Olympic what?

Post 169

smiley - biggrin
And if you think helmets are a good idea for riders,
wait'll you see the new airbags they have.
http://www.pointtwousa.com/
If you get thrown they inflate before you hit the ground.
smiley - pony
~jwf~

Olympic what?

Post 170

Sho - employed again!

one of the guys at work told me today that the members of the South Korean (men's) football team have been told that if they get a medal (whatever colour) they are excused military service.

Olympic what?

Post 171

smiley - football
As someone who has never, and I mean never, enjoyed soccer
I found myself watching the Women's between GB and Canada
in Coventry for the past 45 minutes.

It confirmed for me why I think it is such a cruel sport.
It's like monkey-in-the-middle. All that running about to
be frustrated when you get near the ball as the possessor
kicks it awy to someone else. On and on it goes.

Anyway, at the half Canada leads GB 2-0.
smiley - tongueout
~jwf~

Olympic what?

Post 172

swl

Oh well done Andy Murray smiley - applausesmiley - racket1

Olympic what?

Post 173

Orcus

Shame he can't be Djokovic when it's important eh? smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeye

Olympic what?

Post 174

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

My evening's viewing has been characterised by alternating impressive triumph and brave defeat:

‎1. Vicki Pendleton wins the women's keirin. Did you see her kick just before the last lap? It left the rest of the field looking like they were walking!
2. Rebecca Adlington trying to look in two directions at once, while expending more effort in 800m than I have in the last month, and losing out to a dark horse who was instants off (Adlington's) world record time. I was also pleased to see her mount a spirited opposition in the interview afterwards to the attitude that "Third is second loser," often espoused by people who couldn't complete this event in the time it took the _last loser_ to complete it, get out of the pool, do a couple of interviews for their home media, dry off and get changed.
3. Andy Murray going toe-to-toe with Novak Djokovich, who has looked at times in the last year or more like he is anatomically incapable of losing a tennis match, and overcoming him. Apart from the great tennis, it was also nice to see both players emoting throughout, thus implying they may actually have personalities.
4. The British women footballers really didn't play badly in what I saw of their match against Canada. They just met a team who were playing even better. This is a marked contrast to the England men who, when they lose, generally seem to me to lose abjectly, with very few positives to look to.

Olympic what?

Post 175

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I'm not sure that the hats they wear in dressage are actually top hats, as such, as I think they're 5 and something inches tall, a little shy of the height of a true formal top hat... err... I'm sure there's a name for them, I just can't remember smiley - dohsmiley - erm kinda like the height of a deadmans hat, only without the turned up brim, and of course with a wider brim... think the brim might be a shade under the width for a formal top hat too... I'm thinking of buying one once I've got my pith helmut, as I can't seem to find any decent stove pipe hats for sale, and a proper topper would just be too* formal for wearing with jeans and a coffee stained shirt... smiley - dohsmiley - blush
Anyone up for doing a joint effort guide entry on dressage? smiley - biggrinsmiley - biro

Olympic what?

Post 176

HonestIago

As I posted on my facebook, Victoria Pendleton seemed to have an unfair advantage in the keirin final: her bike must have had a 'later suckers' button on it for her to make the rest of the field look so pedestrian.

The British dominance in the track cycling does take the mickey a bit, for most events no-one else even looks close. The mens team pursuit showed that up as did the womens team sprint: they beat the word record and made it look easy.

Olympic what?

Post 177

Effers;England.

I'm up for a joint effort on dressage...my contribution might be along the lines of how to fall in love with a horse smiley - biggrin

Olympic what?

Post 178

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

This is true to an extent, but on the other hand, look at the pool: http://www.london2012.com/swimming/medals/
Note that the USA have 14 gold medals right now. The rest of the world put together have... 14 gold medals.

Olympic what?

Post 179

Orcus

That was no walkover by Pendleton. She beat off a *very* strong challenge by the Chinese competitor. Awesome.

She also Shone, as a Woman smiley - winkeye

Olympic what?

Post 180

Vip

The women's basketball was also incredibly close, and while their extra time defeat may mean that they didn't win a match, they certainly gave it their all and did not make it easy for France.

smiley - fairy

Key: Complain about this post