A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Anyone know where I can get a proper* Large* bread tin/pan? (UK centrick).

Post 1

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - erm
mean.
There are plenty of bread tins/pans for sale all over the interwebs, I have two of them. both are described as large*, but neither are*.
I've been looking round quite a lot over the itnerwebs but cna't seem to find a really* large one anywhere; most especially they're not deep enough, or wide enough, : It'd be nice were they longer too, but even if I could just get one deep enough and wide enough then it'd be possible to make bread that was, well, bread sized/shaped, the tines I have claim to be for 2 LB loafs (they take about 500 or 600 G dough), which when doubled in size after rising goes up to and a bit over the top of the tin, but the resultant loaf is too small.... :- I'm thinking more about being able to make a loaf the size and shape of that you can buy from a bakery, so obviously larger tins must exist, as they use them... but I can't seem to find them myself smiley - wahsmiley - grovelsmiley - chef

Post 2

Alfster

Well, you know what they say about floury baps?...more than a mouth full's a waste.

How about:

http://www.akro.co.uk/products.php?cat=1032

Search for catering loaf tins or similar...ont' net.

Aye karumba how about this one...

http://www.richmondcookshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3828

Post 3

smiley - drool that second link looks like a good-un... I may order one in a moment.... though I hope it'll take a day or two to arrive; I've really totally run out of space for storage in my kitchen now and I think the trip to the DIY store is in order so I can create some storage shelves in the utility room for all this rediculus amount of bakeware stuff I seem to have... whatever happened to the idea of conveniance food and microwave meals and everyone giving up cooking themselves? smiley - ermsmiley - doh

Oh no.

They sell other things too don't they smiley - 2centssmiley - drool I'm going to have to have a looky at what else they sell < smiley - evilgrinsmiley - 2cents

Post 4

I'm not really here

"whatever happened to the idea of conveniance food and microwave meals and everyone giving up cooking themselves?"

Er, that's me. smiley - biggrin

Post 5

a visitor to planet earth

Why not make a large cottage type loaf instead no need for a tin.

Post 6

You mean like a big round type loaf?: when I've tried that, letting the dough rise not* in a tin, it just spreads/rises 'outwards', creating a very thin flat bread, err kinda like an irregular thick crust pizza base smiley - dohsmiley - ermHmmm.... wonder if that'd work if I put the dough in a large cast iron casserole/pan to rise, would it then go 'up' more than out as it was restrained.... hmmm... but then I guess it'd have straight sides and end up like a cilender type shape smiley - ermsmiley - weird

Post 7

why not put it in a cake tin.

Post 8

Ahh... you pressume i would have such a thing.... err... is a cake tin like the shallow round things, say like you'd use if making a victoria sponge? (I have made cakes but not for a very* long while...) smiley - weirdsmiley - droolsmiley - cupcake

Post 9

Sho - employed again!

We got beautiful huge loaf tins from Aldi once - they also expand to make really long huge loafs. Perfect for making bread that you can slice to make sandwiches with.

The cake tin idea is good.

Post 10

KB

"would it then go 'up' more than out as it was restrained"

That's just such a 2legs thing to say.

Post 11

smiley - snorksmiley - snorksmiley - snorksmiley - roflsmiley - blush you know... seriously... I'd not noticed what I'd written until you mentioned it... I only noticed what I 'ment' smiley - snorksmiley - angel You've such a dirty mind... all of you smiley - blush You should be ashamed of yourselves for having such dark and dirty thoughts passing through your mind smiley - tongueoutsmiley - biggrin

Post 12

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

If you're going to the DIY store, get a CO monitor and a smoke detector.

Post 13

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Keep it up, Amy!

TRiG.smiley - ok

Post 14

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

I've just realised where I got my Sunday bread making inspiration from smiley - eureka

Thank you, Legster. smiley - cheers

I've now got some bread rolls and a cinammon and fruit loaf rising. smiley - drool

Post 15

I should warn you though: Now I've gotten into making my own bread, I just can't eat shop bought bread; even that from the bakery doesn't taste right; Home made bread is how bread should* taste, it is how the texture of bread should* be; shop bought stuff just isn't* bread, and the bakery loafs are but a pale immitation (though closer)...

I'll continue with my current recipie a few more times (once I've got the new larger tin I bought yesterday online), then I'll start trying differnt recipies...

Having said which, the French bread recipie I do is basically my main one now; works great obviously for the french stick/baguettes, and equally as well for the bread loafs I make in the tins I currently have smiley - chef

I'm getting of the opinion that I may have to stop* putting the poppy seeds on though; 90% end up on the floor smiley - snorksmiley - dohsmiley - diva

I'll do one of my 'normal' loafs with the new tin when it arrives, and for the next loaf I'll make I'll use the 'sponge starter' method (slow risen 'sponge' (as they call it), mixed (quite watery, not much yeast), left in fridge over night (at least 24 hours I think)... then you add half of this to the mix your making (as for normal recipie), when making the bread.... Apparently* the 'sponge', slow risen mix from the fridge develops all kinds of more interesting flavours and will lend a differnt texture... smiley - geeksmiley - chef

I need a bigger oven though... smiley - doh

Post 16

The trouble with home made bread is its irresistible, you just have to eat it while its hot, delicious. On ships in the past they used to make the crew wait one day before eating bread. Hot newly made bread is delicious.

Post 17

have you tried making small bread rolls, they are heavenly.

Post 18

KB

I'd love to be able to make a decent Belfast-style bap (with a very well-done, blackened top). I've never managed to get the crust right without ruining the bap completely.

Post 19

Oo never even heard of that Belfast style bap... smiley - wah

No I've not done rolls yet... Do you just rise them on the baking sheet, or do you have to use some kind of thing to help them retain shape whilst rising? smiley - ermsmiley - weirdsmiley - drool

Post 20

Sho - employed again!

Just let them raise on the baking sheet

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more