A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How greedy are we?

Post 1

TerryG*09*

do we owe our success to greed?

E.g. the only reason that humans started to produce maps was to calculate how much of the world that there empire controlled.

How greedy are we?

Post 2

shiftyakacampo

Greed has shaped the world we live in today. in a way it has brought success, depending on how you look at it. for example, the british empire brought success to Britain, but to many of the invaded countries it brought great depression unfair and unfair treatment.depends on how you look at it.

How greedy are we?

Post 3

Paolo77- What the crocodile hat was that? someone needs to snowflake that teapot!

They're our rivals. smiley - hug

How greedy are we?

Post 4

Xanatic

Define greed. Is wanting a roof over your head greed?

I´d say maps were created to help people find out where the hell they were.

How greedy are we?

Post 5

TerryG*09*

having a roof over your head is def not greed.
i seen a program last night that said that the first maps that were made was to see what area of the world they controlled.
scientist of the time were told to calculate and map the area of the world that the ruler didnt control.

How greedy are we?

Post 6

Xanatic

Which ruler?

How greedy are we?

Post 7

TerryG*09*

cant remember his name it was too long, but he was one of the greatest rulers of ancient islam, who also introduced maths into science to calculate the circumfrence of the globe.

How greedy are we?

Post 8

pedro

<>

Wow, that's interesting. So the Caliphate predated Ancient Greece?smiley - wow

How greedy are we?

Post 9

pedro

Actually, to answer the OP, I think people are just as concerned as how they're doing relative to their peers as with their absolute standard of living.

How greedy are we?

Post 10

pedro

Especially once they *have* a decent standard of living.

How greedy are we?

Post 11

TerryG*09*

no they didnt predate them, but they studied what knowledge that they had at the time and combined it with there knowledge to improve and expand on it.

How greedy are we?

Post 12

Xanatic

When was this ruler meant to have lived? The Romans had maps.

How greedy are we?

Post 13

TerryG*09*

It was slightly before the romans(i cant give you a date at the moment, ill get back to you on that) but if you notice that roman maps are only of their empire.
But the romans didnt no the circumfrence of the world, where as the ancient islams knew it to within 3 miles.

How greedy are we?

Post 14

Xanatic

Islam is from the 6th century AD. Do you mean ancient Persians?
I was looking at a roman map of India, that was never part of their empire.

How greedy are we?

Post 15

pedro

The Greeks worked out the Earth's circumference quite accurately before 200BC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes

How greedy are we?

Post 16

pedro

There's a link from that link to Erasthones' mappa mundi.

How greedy are we?

Post 17

TerryG*09*

your right i think it was Persians, but not to sure.
that map is a late map most probably copied from alexander.

How greedy are we?

Post 18

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Those late comers! Australian Aboriginal cultures made songlines to know where they and the land were. They've been around for some 50,000 years.

Guess it depends on what you mean by maps.

How greedy are we?

Post 19

Pink Paisley

I suspect that maps (as opposed to diagrams or plans) were originally intended to ensure that people could get back to where they started from.

PP

How greedy are we?

Post 20

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Or to remind them where food and other necessaries were. Or how the land goes when travelling from point to point.

Key: Complain about this post