A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Do junebugs fly into people's ears?

Post 21

azahar

<>

I wouldn't be surprised - we also have mosquitos the size of sparrows up there. smiley - winkeye

Are you sure Palmetto bugs *aren't* giant flying roaches? We have giant flying roaches here in Spain that everyone calls American cockroaches (well, actually they call them cucarachas americanas) because they were apparently brought over here on American Navy boats. smiley - cross

Anyhow, they are even worse than junebugs - and bigger. My worst nightmare, in fact.

az

Post 22

Researcher U1025853

The June bug in the picture looks very pretty.

Its disappointing in this country because everything is so small, we do have stag beetles, which sound like a helicopter next to your ear. We only have little cockroaches here, and Moonglum made me get rid of my pet cockroach. However I sat him down and explained it and hopefully another one will come back. I loved it in Eivissa, we spent ages chasing the big cockroaches there. Found some lovely big beetles and of course and first and only wild mantid. I cried at that one.

My dream holiday is Costa Rica, where the small 'beef' is so my thing. Big insects and you can play with some of them!

I don't think we get June bugs in the UK, I would love a beetle to land on me that was so big it nearly knocked me over! I need to get somewhere hotter and find some bigger things!

Post 23

Mother of God, Empress of the Universe

Palmetto bigs might be Uberroaches with Superpowers, az. They're huge, they fly, they're not afraid of light, and they're so hard you can't squish 'em.

Sorrel, come vacation in the Everglades. You'll have your fill of big bugs you can play with, and they'll play with you too.

Post 24

azahar

<>

Yup, sounds familiar.

az

Post 25

Researcher U1025853

Sounds great MoG, do they play fair?!

Post 26

Xanatic

They also have some huge Cicadas in Borneo. I thought it was a branch being blown against my window, untill I realized it was a big dumb cicada being attracted by the light. And being hit with a chair didn't really faze it.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more