A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What news story has caught your attention today.

Post 16661

Baron Grim

I don't believe in gods or souls so ISIL works better substituting Lives for Souls. smiley - winkeye

Post 16662

Yelbakk

Yeah, well, I was just using the term "soul" in a metaphorical meaning. Or something. Old-fashioned, like. As is "SOS" - save our souls. Which does not make sense, because you really want the bodies to be saved by other ships, right? If you do believe in souls, what good would a ship be to save yours? If your alleged soul wanted saving, you would not send a morse-code message via radio, would you?

I used "soul" to mean "person" anyway. smiley - smiley

Post 16663

Baron Grim

Yeah... I know. Hence the smiley - winkeye.

Post 16664

Recumbentman

All religious language is metaphorical.

Those who contest that statement are doing what Berkeley called "addressing the will rather than the understanding".

I have no trouble in talking about souls without ascribing independent survival, or indeed any life, to them. Neither has arch-atheist Dan Dennett: he is delighted to quote an Italian newspaper report of a talk he gave, paraphrasing him as saying "Yes, we have a soul, but it's made of lots of tiny robots."

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/191761-some-years-ago-there-was-a-lovely-philosopher-of-science

Post 16665

Baron Grim

Due for release this year, 70 years late, a documentary filmed by Alfred Hitchcock of the Holocaust.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jan/10/unseen-alfred-hitchcock-holocaust-documentary-screening

Post 16666

Baron Grim

Here's a link to the BBC/PBS 1985 version.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/camp/view/

I'll wait for the new release.

Post 16667

Pink Paisley

The first Leon Brittan Touched my Todger stories have hit the Sunday red-tops.

PP.

Post 16668

hammondorgan

But what about the UKIP MEP who has defected to the Tories? There must be a joke in there somewhere or the Tories are really hard up! Honest I'm no John Humphries but I could have told Mr Bashir as a UKIP politician in Europe his prospects didn't look great, the Monster Raving Loony party would have been a better option! You have to query the guy's decision making faculties, he should do well under Cameron.

Post 16669

Pastey

It's more his reasons for going back to the Conservatives. He left them originally because he thought that UKIP would be better with their stand on Europe, but has gone back because he now believes that the Conservatives have changed their stand to be more in keeping with what he believes. I don't see a problem there.

What is interesting though, is as he was organising his "defection", UKIP started what looks seriously like a crude and dodgy smear campaign to try and discredit him, and not the party.

Yay for something new in politics smiley - erm

Post 16670

hammondorgan

Discrediting a UKIP politician? You couldn't make it up, Farage was saying something like his party cronies had said they wouldn't touch Mr Bashir with a bargepole, Cameron's not that fussy obviously, when Tories and UKIP are interchangeable it's time to vote Labour, or Green of course which is an increasingly popular option I see.

Post 16671

Pastey

Labour politicians have also been defecting to UKIP. The those three are the same party with different colours, they're all in it for themselves.

Post 16672

swl

^^^^ This

Politics is a career and many politicians go with whatever party offers them the best chance of getting elected. Switching parties is no different to switching employers from Shell to Esso for them.

Post 16673

hammondorgan

I've just been reading 'a Green spokeswoman' has said that they would scrap the Army and laws on illegal immigration, you can't say they don't offer an alternative! Oh, and dig out those old Drachmas, they might be back in fashion soon.

Post 16674

Icy North

Trust you to make a Drachma out of a crisis.

smiley - run

Post 16675

Pastey

Can't remember a Green spokesman ever saying they'd scrap the army, but I do remember them being accused of it often, but never with any evidence.

Post 16676

Pastey

In fact: http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/pd.html

"PD204 The defence budget needs to be adequate to ensure security, but no more so."

There's no policy of scraping the army, the policy is to stop invading other countries, and to build trust to try and stop the need/desire for war.

Post 16677

Recumbentman

Stop invading other countries -- now there's a cost-cutting idea!

Post 16678

SiliconDioxide

The army are already green, except when they are invading deserts of course.

Post 16679

Recumbentman

Did you hear about the army driver? Lost his khaki ...

Post 16680

Pastey

That took me too long to get smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post