A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Useless Facts

Post 10141

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I have heard a story that when Walt Disney got his first BB gun he shot and killed an owl. He felt so bad about it that for the rest of his life he portrayed them as wise and kind.

In American Native culture they are considered harbingers of fate, not evil or causing anything bad, but they believe that they can warn of death, or other misfortune.

I love watching owls, and bats too! Then again I may just be a bit weird smiley - biggrin

F smiley - dolphin S

Useless Facts

Post 10142

ITIWBS

Its quite uncanny getting swooped from behind by one of our local desert owls when out walking at night, so utterly silent one doesn't know its there until it comes into view.

Useless Facts

Post 10143

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - cool The owls must hide really well around here, never run into one. They are beautiful things, aren't they?

Useless Facts

Post 10144

Baron Grim

Not when they're young.

http://youtu.be/NCrtdBO6fYA

Useless Facts

Post 10145

ITIWBS

Like most wild animals, not seen unless they mean to be, as a rule.

Useless Facts

Post 10146

Those are rare babies! I'm sure Mom thinks they're beautiful. smiley - laugh

Useless Facts

Post 10147

ITIWBS

smiley - coolZe uugh!liest ducklings.smiley - biggrin

Useless Facts

Post 10148

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

A long time ago I had a good friend who was in the Army. He was home on leave and he ordered a brand new Ford F-150 pick-up truck to drive to his new assignment in Alaska. As it happened, it arrived just one day before he had to leave. He wanted to show it off and invited me to go for a ride with him. There is a large island which is a county park, but at the time it was closed to the public. They put 4 foot tall (a bit over a metre) hills of dirt over all the entrances. While they were a barrier to most people, for two kids in their early 20's, in a brand new 4x4 wheel drive pick-up truck, they were only a challengesmiley - biggrin.

It was already dark when we crossed the barrier and started to cruise the many roads behind. We passed one tree with an owl sitting on a limb at eye level. he was close enough I could have reached out and touched him (but of course I did not try).

We drove around the island for several hours and we passed that tree at least a half-dozen times. Each time the owl swiveled his head watching us (as owls do) He was still sitting there just before we left.

He decided to head north that very night and wrote a note to his sleeping mother to say goodbye. On a whim I wrote a note to my own parents telling them I would be home in a day or so and rode with him as far as Atlanta Airport where I could get a flight home. Just to date myself and this story - Jimmy Carter and his family were filming a campaign commercial at the entrance of the airport as part of his first run for the White House.

F smiley - dolphin S

Useless Facts

Post 10149

smiley - cool story!

Useless Facts

Post 10150

ITIWBS

smiley - biggrinsmiley - ok

Useless Facts

Post 10151

Baron Grim

smiley - ok

Useless Facts

Post 10152

Hoovooloo

This fact is fairly useless:

Anyone remember SonofRojBlake?

I can report that there is now a son of SonofRojBlake.

Imagine that.

Useless Facts

Post 10153

Baron Grim

smiley - ok Aww... sweet!

Useless Facts

Post 10154

ITIWBS

Congrats in order.

Useless Facts

Post 10155

smiley - biggrin Lovely.

Useless Facts

Post 10156

Bald Bloke

Well done,

Useless Facts

Post 10157

You can call me TC

That cheerful piece of news has put a big grin on my face. smiley - biggrin All the best to the whole family.

Useless Facts

Post 10158

ITIWBS

Salvia officinalus, culinary sage, was developed from a strain of salvia vulgaris originally ordered into cultivation by Charlemagne, hence the designation "sovereign herb".

Useless Facts

Post 10159

Baron Grim

I had heard somewhere that Moe Howard (born Moe Horowitz) was a great grandfather, or possibly a great uncle to Winona Ryder (born Winona Horowitz).

But apparently, this wasn't true.

That said, while trying to confirm or refute this, I learned that her godfather actually was Timothy Leary.

(I had a better Useless Fact to share but I can't recall it at the moment, but since I'd already scrolled this far back in the convos, I thought I'd give the thread a smiley - boing bump anyway. Maybe I'll remember a better one later.)

Useless Facts

Post 10160

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

In his lifetime,the Frenchman Michel Lotito ate 18 bicycles, 15 shopping carts, 8 television sets, 6 chandeliers, 2 NERF guns, 1 octopus (whole), 3 toilet bowls, 5 sheeps' hearts, 2 beds, 1 pair of skis, 1 coffin, 400m steel chain and 1 Cessna 150 two-seater airplane.

Apparently accompanied by some oil and lots of water.

I wonder if he ever had to go through customs. That would take a lut of explaining, I guess.

Key: Complain about this post