A Conversation for Ask h2g2

non utile data

Post 961

Musashi Himura, the ronin returns, is happy to be back

no one would call there kid sh*thead...would they.

non utile data

Post 962

The Groob

Apparently someone called their child "Chlamydia" because they thought it was a flower.

non utile data

Post 963

Baron Grim

The rumour/joke/story I've heard is that it's pronounced Shi-THEED.

There's a whole bunch more on the "Real People with funny names" thread... (or is that threed?)

non utile data

Post 964

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Chlamydia... well, it *does* sound a bit like a flower... Giles Brandreth wrote once about the categories of words... Those with nice sound/nasty meaning, nice sound/nice meaning etc. I had such fun putting them into categories...

Nice sound/nice meaning
Euphony
Loveliness
Jasmine

Nice sound/nasty meaning
Diahroea (sp?)
Chlamydia
Meconium (there's a story about the Pacific Island mother who heard a doctor say the word when her son was born, and said "oh, that sounds nice...)
Colitis

Nasty sound/nice meaning
Can't think of any... Contributions, please! (Of course, it is subjective.)

non utile data

Post 965

The Groob

Phlegmatic?

non utile data

Post 966

A Super Furry Animal

Asafoetida.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

non utile data

Post 967

Baron Grim

OH---MY---BOB!!!

smiley - ill

I had never heard the word meconium before...

I just looked it up...

smiley - dragon

Did you ever listen to that Beatles song, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds... did you catch that line about "the girl with colitis rode by"? smiley - winkeye

The funniest word I ever looked up in a dictionary in high school was priapism. I still think it makes a nice epithet.

non utile data

Post 968

<>

It does indeed!

non utile data

Post 969

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

smiley - ermI bet its not so funny for those who suffer from it, even though many of us might aspire to sporting a permanent 'horn'.

smiley - biggrin

non utile data

Post 970

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

My sister is a primary school teacher in a school on a sink estate near Liverpool. One year there was a girl in her class named 'Stella'. Her parents said they'd named her after the lager.

non utile data

Post 971

The Groob

The man who worked in our local kebab shop called his daughter "Donna".

non utile data

Post 972

<>

Oh, my... smiley - laugh

non utile data

Post 973

Safeways supermarkets are being converted to Morrison's, following a takeover.

The only (known) reference to Safeways in a song lyric is in 'St. Dominic's Preview'....by Van Morrison.

non utile data

Post 974

The Groob

Bitrex is the most bitter substance yet discovered.

Bitrex can be detected by taste at 10ppb and is recognisably bitter at 50ppb.

non utile data

Post 975

Gnomon - time to move on

I think one of the uses of Bitrex is as an additive in poisonous substances. It is so disgusting that anybody drinking the poison will immediately spit it out. It is also used by retreating armies to destroy food that they are not able to take with them, so that it will not be used by the enemy.

non utile data

Post 976

i can verify that it is pretty bitter, i have a wierd habit of getting drunk then finding anything as a challenge so one day i was reading a bottle of stardrops(?) a cleaning fluid that contains bitrex as a deterrent to kids well it said on the bottle (contains bitrex the most bitter substance known to man or dummit well i then went "that sounds like a challenge" and drank half a bottle not only did it make my face cave in from the bitterness of it all but i threw up for the rest of the night smiley - cheers

non utile data

Post 977

nicki

that would because youre not supposed to drink it!!

non utile data

Post 978

yeah hence the addition of bitrex

and saying its the bitterest thing ever made me take their challenge

once i challenged the fella on trainspotting to a drinking competition, (go figure) then i drank drambue which was more icky and horrid then stardrops

non utile data

Post 979

Has anyone tried the Indian vegetable Karelia - also known as bitter gourd? A friend served them stuffed the other night. An acquired taste. Some people can't eat them at all.

Speaking of Stardrops - has anyone else noticed the similarity between the smell of Windowlene and the taste of Scweppes Russchian? Maybe they should market Windowlene as 'Russchian Smoothie'.

non utile data

Post 980

smiley - rofl

jack and bitter lemon is a lovely drink but once because the pub we were in had no botter lemon they just gave us half a lemon to squeeze in and it wound up tasting like sweat

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more