A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Banned videos

Post 81

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Yes It is very important to have independant news.
That makes for an easy interpetaion in pictures. I have been reading about it for a long time.

Thanks clzoomersmiley - ok I will pass that on!
smiley - disco

Banned videos

Post 82

Math - Playing Devil's Advocate

War isn't always declared. (well obviously legal definitions require the declaration of war for it to be called such, however reality and legalism each work far more efficiently kept completly seperate smiley - winkeye)

Banned videos

Post 83

Math - Playing Devil's Advocate

Independent news is a fiction, someone is paying for the production of news, and as such has influence over it, this is always direct orders of; don't say that, or do say this. It is still influence if you only keep in mind where the money comes from and that harming that source of income may reduce budget and hence wages... Government funded reporting is another kettle of fish entirly...

Math smiley - winkeye

Banned videos

Post 84

Raukodraug - Keeper of the Fullmoon Smiley [(2*(-1)+8-0)*(3+4)=42]

A bit of clarification on the Christian theological "Just War Theory".

Thomas Aquinas and his contemporaries (~1300CE) laid out 3 factors in determining if a war was just.

1) The war must be on the authority of a sovereign.
2) The cause of the war must be just.
3) The combatants must have the right intentions (desire to do good and avoid evil.

About 150 years later Francisco de Vitoria added a fourth factor.

4) A war must be conducted in the proper way. This efectively means not harming non-combatants and trreating the enemy as a human being.

This fourth factor is what makes weapons of mass destruction and instant violation of just war theory. These weapons are designed to kill noncombatants and combatants alike.

Math, as for your point about self defense being a factor, that is currently taught as being part of the second factor. When Aquinas lays it out in depth he effectively says that an offensive war is never just.

Oh, the fun of working in a library with 3 floors of theology books. smiley - biggrin

smiley - fullmoon

Banned videos

Post 85

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

During the last Gulf war, I was a big fan of the BBC World Service news. It was so refreshing to find a news service that didn't colour the coverage with emotive terms like "Our boys" or "The enemy". It was always "British forces", "American forces" or "Iraqi forces", with no perceivable emphasis. Wonderful.

Banned videos

Post 86

Raukodraug - Keeper of the Fullmoon Smiley [(2*(-1)+8-0)*(3+4)=42]

Well, my last post was a bit off topic, but Math got me thinking so, oh well.

I do believe there is independent media. It's small, and few an far between, but it's there. It may only be a small community access radio station or newspaper, but it's there. It may be that you REALLY have to look for it.

smiley - fullmoon

Banned videos

Post 87

I DO uunderstand Math about the newsy shows and the approved stories and *ratings*...

Has the news ALWAYS gotten share *ratings* just like the simpsons and 60 mins and movie of the week?
hugs
smiley - disco

Banned videos

Post 88

You DO have to really search it out. Stay away from the top 6 whenever possible. You do want to read some opposing media to *know thyne enemy*smiley - winkeye
The internet helps a lot in sorting through sources.

It was mentioned in the main media today; more people are searching out other news sources by way of the internet.
smiley - disco

Banned videos

Post 89

clzoomer- a bit woobly

I would reccomend the BBC, CBC, and in the US the PBS. If you can read other languages, there are lots of other places to look as well.

You might want to try some Blogging, actually. I get a big part of my news from there. You just have to consider the ultimate source though.

smiley - cheers

Banned videos

Post 90

PBS TV news is a must in the US! smiley - ok
smiley - disco

Banned videos

Post 91

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Where the Current Unpleasantness fails to qualify Raukodraug, I think, is on point 2,3 and 4.

Banned videos

Post 92

There is an entry and discussion on the front page about the Saint *A* and the rules of *W* if you are interested. There are lots of posts.
Maybe you have been there in which casesmiley - blushexcuse me please.
smiley - disco

Banned videos

Post 93

Entry ID: A644672

Banned videos

Post 94

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Thanks for the heads-up, it seems like a very interesting discussion!smiley - cat

Banned videos

Post 95

Saturnine

*in response to earlier accusatory post*

No. Not being controversial. Just telling the truth. We live in a world that is somehow able to justify murder on one hand, and then condemn it as the greatest evil on the other!

Charlie Manson - bad. Evil man. Must be locked up under high security well into his sixties...despite not actually having been convicted of murder. God forbid someone make an independant decision to rid the world of someone that they don't like.

But when a government makes a Big Important Decision to attack a minority of people inside a country, and send out whole armies of murderers...well that's OK, isn't it? Because Important People said so.

There are very few things in life that can NEVER be justified. Murder - be it sanctioned by a government and a full time job, or an independant decision by someone who may or may not be mentally ill - is never right.

Good murderers vs Bad murderers, eh?

*nods to Bob the Farmer*

I was listening to "Killing in the Name of" on the way home. Nearly forgotten about Zach...

Banned videos

Post 96

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Utter nonsense. Of course you can justify murder. That's why it's called *justifiable homicide*. A mother protecting her baby from a killer and rapist- is that not justifiable?

Banned videos

Post 97

Saturnine

That's not murder, you daft twit. That's self defence.

Banned videos

Post 98

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Homicide is still murder under law. Look it up.

Banned videos

Post 99

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Not to mention assisted suicides. The list goes on.

Banned videos

Post 100

Saturnine

See, now you are just being pedantic.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more