A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 1961

The Groob

Someone smashed my MIL's car window to steal a pound. It wasn't even an English pound. (I think it was Maltese or something.) I don't really think it's worth getting a criminal record for a pound. They must be stealing for the sake of stealing.

There are a lot of sad programmes and features about Auschwitz on TV at the moment. Obviously the images are shocking and should be shown, but I'm finding the programme makers are over-egging the pudding by playing sad music that is a little *too* sad. It's not like we need to be reminded how sad the situation is/was.

Petty Hates

Post 1962

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

I can't remember the exact numbers, but given the recent finding that around half of young people *don't* know anything about Auschwitz and fewer knew about Belsen, it seems that we *do* need reminding.

Petty Hates

Post 1963

The Groob

The point I'm making is that the pictures speak for themselves. They don't need music added to them. I think the music is in bad taste - it's like they makers are going for dramatic effect.

Petty Hates

Post 1964

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

<>

Well, they are... That's the whole point of putting music over the images.

Petty Hates

Post 1965

The Groob

Well if it educates the next generation then that's a good thing I suppose. I think the music is unnecessary during interviews with survivors though. I find it intrusive and corny.

Petty Hates

Post 1966

It's just one of those media tricks to make things have more impact. Like having music behind the news on the radio, or the obligatry shot of a doll/pram/dog when there's been a big disaster.

Petty Hates

Post 1967

The Groob

I heard rumours that dollies have been planted at aircrash scenes on more than one occasion by journolists/photographers.

Did anyone see Watchdog last night? The item about the Downs Syndrome man and the jeweller made us feel a little uncomfortable. It seemed like the show was hellbent on portraying the jeweller as an evil villain.

Petty Hates

Post 1968

Didn't see what, what did the jeweller do?

Petty Hates

Post 1969

The Groob

The Down's Syndrome man got engaged and went to buy a diamond ring. He bought the ring for £1500 (figure?). His dad then got the ring privately valued which showed the ring to be worth about £900. The ring was displayed as '24 carat' but subsequent tests showed it be 21 carat. The dealer sold the diamond to the jeweller as a 24 carat diamond. It seemed the jeweller had made an honest mistake but Watchdog seemed to be hellbent on persecuting him.

Petty Hates

Post 1970

Well the actual problem appeared to be that he sold a diamond ring as 0.45 carat when in fact it was 0.41. That is misrepresentation and gives rise to problems under the trades descriptions act.

All the stuff about it being overpriced by 500 quid is a problem for everyone, if you don't shop around or do your research you risk being ripped off. The fact that the chap was Downs was just emotional leverage for the show, the shop owner was trying to say that this chap had his own money and made his own decision to buy the ring, which is fair enough.

Petty Hates

Post 1971

smiley - rofl a 24 carat diamond would be the size of your head and cost millions!

Petty Hates

Post 1972

The Groob

Maybe he loved her that much? smiley - winkeye

I still think his treatment by Watchdog was a tad harsh. Yes, by law he had to give the money back. But the Downs Syndrome man was considered responsible enough to have his own bank account with that sort of money to spend.

Petty Hates

Post 1973

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

But that's what Watchdog's *there* for. Sensationalist crap that portrays everyone in business (esp. plumbers and alarm installation guys) as heartless bxstxrds intend on ripping of little old ladies smiley - zzz

smiley - ale

Petty Hates

Post 1974

The Groob

I must confess I've seen more of Alistair Mcgowan's take than the actual programme.

Petty Hates

Post 1975

Zantic - Who is this woman??

Watchdog - trying to ensure that everyone is too scared to employ any sort of qualified small businessman for fear of being ripped off. Or go to any small family owned business for fear of getting ripped off. Or even of going outside for fear of bing ripped off. Or answering the door for fear of being ripped off (oh, sorry, thats the crime stoppers isn't it? I get mixed up)

Petty Hate - The mess I've made in the flat over the past two days in an attempt to get all necessary paperwork tracked down.

Zantic smiley - dragon, cleanup duty AGAIN? smiley - wah

Petty Hates

Post 1976

And, strangely, they are totally useless when people genuinely *are* being ripped off...

Petty Hates

Post 1977

Ooopps, sorry, thought that didn't need to be said smiley - winkeye

Petty hate - the adverts on Discovery Health. If the programmes don't make you feel fat, frumpy and sickened (by the baby stories etc) then the adverts will. Why do I have this rubbish on? I'm not even watching it really - easy to ignore?

Zantic smiley - dragon

Petty Hates

Post 1978

*feels vaguely like I should defend the channel as I have been on it recently*

Um, Nah! I agree the ads are terrible!

Petty Hates

Post 1979

smiley - footinmouth Sorry Kelli - I forgot.

Petty Hate : Road Tax and the fact it's due.

Zantic smiley - dragon

Petty Hates

Post 1980

Musashi Himura, the ronin returns, is happy to be back

kelli was on tv?????

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more