A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 17801

SashaQ - happysad

PH: a software update that presumably made some improvements, but also means that everything I usually do (receiving an e-mail, checking the calendar and replying to the e-mail) now takes twice as many clicks as before...

Petty Hates

Post 17802

SashaQ - happysad

PH: I closed a bank account at least 6 years ago, but the bank still insists on sending me statements with £0.00 in them... smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 17803

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Maybe they are planning to fill it up for you later?

Is an update that makes things worse a downdate?

Petty Hates

Post 17804

Baron Grim

"New and Improved"

I recently read an article about the new toilet for the space station and they used this horrible but way too common phrase, "new and improved".

This triggers my pedantry nerve. If something is new, it's original. If something is improved, it is, by definition, not new.

Petty Hates

Post 17805

Cheerful Dragon

If a product is described as new or improved, it means the price has gone up. If it's described as new and improved, the price went way up. If it's all new or great new, not only has the price gone up but the product bears little relation to the original.

Petty Hates

Post 17806

Teasswill

People who don't answer their phones. Could be they're not at home of course, but some people appear to be out a lot. I'm trying to notify my Mum's friends & neighbours etc of her death & am fed up repeatedly calling. Not the sort of message you want to leave 'after the tone'.

Petty Hates

Post 17807

You can call me TC

Condolences Teasswill. Can you give one of the neighbours you have managed to reach permission to pass it on if someone asks? Otherwise, all the best with this as it is only one of the myriad jobs now facing you.

smiley - rosesmiley - rose

Petty Hates

Post 17808

Baron Grim

smiley - rosesmiley - candlesmiley - rose

Petty Hates

Post 17809

Teasswill

Ta - making slow progress.

Petty Hates

Post 17810

Bluebottle

The name of the University of Oxford's RECOVERY trial. RECOVERY apparently stands for 'Randomised Evaluation of Covid-19 thERapY'. Just call it RECVDT standing for 'Randomised Evaluation of Corona Virus Disease 19 Therapy', or 'RECT'.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 17811

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Condolences Teasswill. I hope you will find the strength to cope with your loss.

smiley - rose

Petty Hates

Post 17812

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - rose

Petty Hates

Post 17813

SashaQ - happysad

PH: When you know exactly where something is, until you actually need it, and then it's not there after all...

There's an Entry in h2g2 somewhere about just that - the gremlins that come out at night and move things when you're not looking - but of course I can't find that, either...

Petty Hates

Post 17814

Teasswill

That's what happens when I tidy up or do some sorting & move something from where it's been for ages, then I can't remember where I moved it to.

Petty Hates

Post 17815

SashaQ - happysad

Yes, I think that's what happened to me - months ago I tidied the drawer the stuff was in, and must have moved things to somewhere safe, then I promptly forgot... smiley - laugh

Petty Hates

Post 17816

Cheerful Dragon

I know what you mean. We have some metal mini funnels for filling hip flasks. They're not the kind of things you get rid of when decluttering, so they must be in the house somewhere. Can we find them? No! We've looked in all the logical places and a few illogical ones. In the end we bought some cheap plastic funnels to use instead. That should make the metal ones turn up.

My current petty hates are: wool shops + no will power, and RSI. The first combination has given me a yarn stash that will take me years to get through. Trying to use some of the yarn for crochet projects has given me RSI. Maybe I should stick to knitting - that doesn't give me RSI. But amigurumi is fun, and crocheted creatures don't need as much sewing up as knitted ones.smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 17817

Baron Grim

One of the sure-fire ways to find something misplaced, especially something specifically misplaced by putting it somewhere specific is to buy replacements.

Well, that didn't work for me recently. I have a pet watering fountain. It requires replacement filters. I had left the filters on the counter for nearly a year and then put them away someplace "logical". So after a few weeks I resorted to buying a small batch of replacement filters. I thought that surely I'd be able to find the original stash and searched diligently and repeatedly. So, I bought a larger resupply order. And again, before I finally found an absolutely logical place to store them (hint, when putting something away, think about where you would look for it first) I searched thoroughly again and they're still missing.

I think they're on that planet populated by Biros. smiley - birosmiley - birosmiley - birosmiley - planet

Petty Hates

Post 17818

Teasswill

Perhaps you'd already used them & forgotten!

Petty Hates

Post 17819

Baron Grim

Nah... It came with just 4, I believe so I ordered at least a dozen after getting it and put them away... somewhere.

I'm also eternally missing the magnetic clip-on sunglasses for my trifocals, my original copy of the film _Untitled_ (aka _Also Famous_), and a few other things I absolutely know will turn up someday.

Petty Hates

Post 17820

Baron Grim

Oh, and the clip-on sunglasses should turn up any day as I just got a new pair of trifocals.

Key: Complain about this post