A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 17581

Baron Grim

It appears the posts above were the result of a search for references to the Dr. Axe website. Two years ago someone did post a link to that website and the posts above were responding to that (post 20 style).

Unless Dean (new account) responds, I'll assume these posts are unsolicited solicitations.

Petty Hates

Post 17582

Orcus

I like unsolicited solicitations.

I am happily married because of one of those smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 17583

Teasswill

That's serendipity!

Petty Hates

Post 17584

Teasswill

Today's PH:
Reading a book, thinking there's still quite a lot to go, but suddenly it's ended. The remaining bulk of pages turn out to be the start of another novel by the author -,an enticement to read it.
I don't want to read a few pages, even a few chapters, when I might have to wait ages to obtain a copy, if I ever can. Or if I didn't think the novel that good, I have no interest in reading more. What a waste of paper. Even in an ebook it's annoying.

Petty Hates

Post 17585

Baron Grim

Especially annoying in an E-book since you get that little notification at the bottom letting you know what percentage of the book remains. It really sucks when you take a book to read at lunch thinking you've still got plenty to read and it ends with the appetizers. smiley - dohsmiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 17586

Cheerful Dragon

When it comes to the percentage, I tend to use GO TO to check what comes after the last chapter. In a non-fiction book there can be a lot of notes and/or appendices, not to mention the index. In a fiction book there can be the unwanted preview work already mentioned, and some also have appendices (GoT series, for example). Either way, I go to the end of the last chapter to check the actual percentage value for the end of the book. That way I know how much really is left to read.

As for print books, I often put a cheap bookmark at the end of the book to give a visual indication of how much is left.

Petty Hates

Post 17587

Reality Manipulator

My pet hate is seasonal rhinitis along with undiagnosed tinnitus along with the humid heat.

Petty Hates

Post 17588

Teasswill

Rhinitis at any time - I have a chronic version. Was years before I noticed it was only me that seemed to have a streaming nose when I eat...

Tinnitus too, but mine is much better (less noticeable) now I have hearing aids.

Petty Hates

Post 17589

Cheerful Dragon

I also have tinnitus. Mine is variable. Most of the time I don't notice it, but occasionally it gets loud and obtrusive. Those episodes are often followed by a day of vertigo.

I have perennial rhinitis too. Mine manifests as itchy eyes rather than a streaming nose, not as obvious but just as annoying. And if I have to suffer humid heat, I'd rather be in the Far East. It would be more interesting. (Actually, I don't like hot weather of any kind.)

Petty Hates

Post 17590

Cheerful Dragon

PHotD: organizations that apply rules without thinking whether the rules make sense. One such organization is the Big Pit Coal Museum in Wales. It's still classes as a working mine, so you're not allowed to take incendiary materials with you on the underground tour. I have no problem with that. It's the list of incendiary materials that makes no sense. You're not allowed cigarettes, tobacco, matches or lighters. Fair enough, although cigarettes and tobacco aren't incendiary if you don't have matches or lighters. You also aren't allowed mobile phones, music players, quartz watches, radios, calculators, or photographic equipment. With the possible exception of certain kinds of flash, I don't know of any electronic device that poses a fire hazard. If I'm wrong, please let me know. (Mythbusters debunked the idea that mobile phones can cause fires at petrol stations.)

Petty Hates

Post 17591

You can call me TC

This refers presumably to devices with those batteries that have been known to spontaneously combust, as in the recent Samsung Galaxy case.

Petty Hates

Post 17592

Cheerful Dragon

I appreciate that there have been issues with faulty lithium ion batteries, but some of the items on the list don't use such batteries. It's as if they've put a blanket ban on electronic devices, just to be safe.

Petty Hates

Post 17593

Reality Manipulator

People throwing rubbish in the street instead of disposing it in the nearby bins.

Petty Hates

Post 17594

Sho - employed again!

that weird anxiety-attack like feeling I get which presages a hot flush. They can both do one.

Petty Hates

Post 17595

Baron Grim

PH: Leaving the house for work a few minutes early, only to catch EVERY long traffic light on the commute. smiley - doh

Petty Hates

Post 17596

Teasswill

PH: People who overstep that unspecified personal area at an outdoor concert (bring your own chair & picnic).

Petty Hates

Post 17597

Cheerful Dragon

People who park really close when the car park is virtually empty.

Petty Hates

Post 17598

Bluebottle

When a JCB digs a huge hole outside your home between midnight and 3am...

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 17599

Baron Grim

Was the operator drunk!? Why would anyone operate earth-moving equipment during those hours?

Petty Hates

Post 17600

Bluebottle

At just after midday our neighbour asked us if we were having a power cut and we weren't, only her house seemed affected (although her other neighbour is on holiday so we don't know if it affected her too). So about 1pm she phoned the electricity company who said they'd send someone right out, who arrived around 6:30pm after a few more phone calls, who then phoned someone else and then someone else and when I went to bed around 11pm there were about 5 vans outside full of people in hard hats looking back and forth at their clipboards and phoning each other.
Then at midnight a gurt big JCB turned up and dug up the path and pavement outside our place, and did so until 3am. Obviously I want our neighbour to have power which is why I was happy to boil the kettle for her now and then and run an extension lead into her place to keep the fridge freezer going, but why did it take from 1pm to midnight for the electricity company to dig the place up?

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post