A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 17501

Baron Grim

RESISTANCE IS USELESS! smiley - aliensmile

Petty Hates

Post 17502

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

I'd wait a few years and once satisfied that no people treated with the nanaites had 'turned', I'd go ahead. Well assuming it was available on our NHS that is. I haven't thought about what price would be worth a lifetime free of colds smiley - weird

Petty Hates

Post 17503

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

What if they could be remotely reprogrammed?

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 17504

Baron Grim

I, for one, welcome our grey goo overlords. smiley - cogs

Petty Hates

Post 17505

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Cheese

Petty Hates

Post 17506

ITIWBS

omelette

Petty Hates

Post 17507

Bluebottle

Give thanks to the Tripods on Capping Day.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 17508

ITIWBS

Ooops! Wrong thread.

I'm myself reluctant to put too much faith in computers until they're much better crash and attack proofed, which will take a revolution in self-monitoring AI, which will in turn create vulnerabilities and other problems of its own.

Petty Hates

Post 17509

Teasswill

Today's PH: Fair enough that train doors may close in advance of departure time (as they keep reminding us) but I got onto the platform this evening to see the train already departing at least 30 secs early.

Petty Hates

Post 17510

Baron Grim

At least the Japanese apologize.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42009839

Petty Hates

Post 17511

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Traditionally you're supposed to complain about the train running too late. smiley - tongueincheek

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 17512

Or complain that the train you're in doesn't stop where you want to get off (while it should). I had that once. The driver said sorry but drove on to the next stop anyway, where the return train departed just when we came in...

Petty Hates

Post 17513

Teasswill

And tonight the train was cancelled with 15 min notice - shortage of crew. So I'm over half an hour late home. I'm not sure I can be bothered with delay repay.

Petty Hates

Post 17514

Teasswill

And a new one today - people in the workplace restaurant who put their bags on chairs at adjacent tables making them look occupied - especially when there isn't a spare table to be had!

Petty Hates

Post 17515

Baron Grim

smiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 17516

Teasswill

Good to see we've all apparently been happy lately!
Today's PH is being poorly (chesty cold) & only fit to sit around not doing much - and hubby seems to think he can do the same... Still, it is holiday....

Petty Hates

Post 17517

Hope you get better soon.

Petty Hates

Post 17518

Bluebottle

PH: sports commentators talking about 'surprise results'. I'm not interested in sport, but how can there be a surprise? Either the home team wins, the away team wins or there's a draw. How can a result of one of the three possible results be surprising?

If two teams in the same league play a match and one wins, well, that's what that team were trying to do. If they were trying to play football and serendipitously ended world hunger instead, than that would be a surprise. If, say, Southampton played Portsmouth and, instead of one of those teams winning the Men of Wight Morris Dancers were declared the winners despite not actually being there, now that would be a surprise. And I conceed that if whoever won the last World Cup then had their team play football against a single 2-month old baby, only to lose 27-0, then that would legitimately be a surprise result.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 17519

bobstafford

"Southampton played Portsmouth and, instead of one of those teams winning the Men of Wight Morris Dancers were declared the winners".

It would be much more interesting football smiley - yawnsmiley - cheers

Petty Hates

Post 17520

Baron Grim

PH: TV weather critters who insist on making up new words for every weather condition. In the past it was scary terms like "snowpocalypse". Well today my local NBC weather critter made up a term for the wet and cool conditions we'll have this week. "Drizzerable". He really liked this term and used it repeatedly, every, single, time, he, stood, in front of, the green screen.

It's bad enough putting up with newscasters incessant punning, but now I just feel "drizzerable".

Key: Complain about this post