A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 13781

You can call me TC

Really? My interest was recently awakened in them and I was thinking of looking at them.

... *rummage rummage*....

"Whose Body" - 83 c
but all the others are 6-7 Euros in the Kindle version.

Petty Hates

Post 13782

Cheerful Dragon

Actually, that's about what they are over here. Most of them are £5.49, which is €6.97. I have a spend limit of £5 on Kindle books, although I rarely spend that much. (Whose Body was £3.10 last time I looked.)

The Discworld novels are either £3.59 or £4.49, which makes them affordable - just! But I can't buy as many as I'd like as often as I'd like.smiley - sadface

Petty Hates

Post 13783

Deb

Wow! The discworld books seem to have come down a bit, last time I looked they were also around the £5.50 mark. smiley - run to make a few purchases

Deb smiley - cheerup

Petty Hates

Post 13784

quotes

PH, pizzicato violin in films, when used to accompany an amusing scene. It's been done to absolute death.

Petty Hates

Post 13785

You can call me TC

Also film related: on DVD's, why can't they have a page showing all the cast and crew? If I've watched a film on DVD, and subsequently want to know "Who played so-and-so?", "Who was DP" or "Who sang that song?", I have to scroll right through the credits at the end. (Once I've found them) Or I have to go to the film's website or to imdb to look it up. By which time I've forgotten what I was looking for.

Petty Hates

Post 13786

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

PH: websites that only work properly on internet explorer I don't personally like internet explorer it feels odd using it after so many years of using firefox or chrome

Petty Hates

Post 13787

Teasswill

Re Kindle - I use elibrary on my ipad so can borrow books for free.

My petty hate of the day is restaurant staff coming to ask if everything is OK when you've barely lifted knife & fork. Then they ask again when they clear the plates away. But if you do want to summon someone, they're nowhere in sight.

Petty Hates

Post 13788

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I agree, but is is usually exacerbated by waiting until you take your first mouthful, and they stare at you for not answering immediatelysmiley - shrug

F smiley - dolphin S

Petty Hates

Post 13789

Pastey

PH: Websites that only work on CChrome or Firefox.

They're usually ones that are done to showcase the browser, but could work on others if they weren't restricted.

Petty Hates

Post 13790

Bald Bloke

Which browser are you using???
Most sites I see work OK in Safari

Petty Hates

Post 13791

quotes

Re; annoyances at restaurants, I usually find the whole experience unsatisfactory, what with the noise, proximity of strangers, and the fact that you often have to sit somewhere you haven't chosen. What's more, I then feel guilty at not enjoying it all as much as I'm supposed to.

Petty Hates

Post 13792

Milla, h2g2 Operations

That's typical Hoton. http://h2g2.com/entry/A936128/conversation/view/F111149/T524769 And yes, for me it's the noise. It freaks me out having to sit in noisy environments, and especially if I'm supposed to make conversation.

Petty Hates

Post 13793

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Just keep an eye on your preferred establishment and try to learn their quiet times. Restaurants in 'out of town' shopping centre type places are legendary in my experience for being totally dead anytime that isn't a weekend or lunchtime. I've often sat alone in a restaurant with my own personal service, because I'm not a stickler for traditional meal times smiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 13794

Milla, h2g2 Operations

PH: Complaining people. I know, I know, pot-kettle-black, bricks in glass houses etc.
But it irks me when you are somewhere, and the rest of your party complain about the food, the smell, the water, the cleanliness of hotel corridors, people not speaking English, everything.
smiley - towel

Petty Hates

Post 13795

You can call me TC

Why do they complain about the cleanliness?

Petty Hates

Post 13796

Milla, h2g2 Operations

The carpets in the hotel corridors are a bit grubby. But you have shoes on, so it doesn't worry me too much. Picky.
The carpets in the hotel room are better, but not perfect.
smiley - shrug

smiley - towel

Petty Hates

Post 13797

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Haven't you ever been in a room that seemed disturbingly clean?

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 13798

Pastey

PH: Politicians point scoring rather than dealing with politics.

Hidden

Post 13799

quotes

>But it irks me when you are somewhere, and the rest of your party complain about the food, the smell, the water, the cleanliness of hotel corridors, people not speaking English, everything

I love Paris, but most of those complaints apply.
In Spain at the moment, they don't pretend to not speak English, and Barcelona is so clean compared to, say, Paris... Which is also quite stinky.

Petty Hates

Post 13800

Pastey

PH: Dog walkers with those extendible leads who pay no attention to their surroundings, but just let the lead run out to its full length.

Key: Complain about this post