A Conversation for Ask h2g2

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 101

Orcus

Of course. Im a sucker for a smiley - kisssmiley - smiley

I'll post my spammable email address on my homepage and just drop me a line smiley - smiley for where to send it.

(Its hotmail so it gets spammed continuously anyway smiley - cross)

I bought that from Amazon, maybe it was just a special offer at the time smiley - erm.

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 102

Cloviscat

Thanks. I've got four editions as it is, so I daren't shelve out on another! smiley - online2long

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 103

Orcus

Four editions of the same book? now THAT's fandom smiley - winkeye

(psst. Cloviscat, I changed my mind about the email address, have a look at conversations on your homepage)

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 104

Cloviscat

One of the editions is in French... and I read it!

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 105

Orcus

smiley - wow My French isn't that good. I've got Asterix And Caeser's Gift in French and I can't even read that smiley - sadface

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 106

Cloviscat

If you know LotR very well, then you can just skim along. The translation is not brill though (the poetry is excerable!). One of the things that annoys me most is that the hobbits keep using the polite form 'vous' when Tolkien makes a particular point in the appendices that hobbits only used the familiar, 'tu' form in Westron, which accounts for various people's reactions to them throughout the book...

...boy o boy - now I really sound like an anorak smiley - winkeye

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 107

Orcus

Maybe you should read Trainspotting in French smiley - winkeyesmiley - laugh

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 108

King Cthulhu of Balwyniti

I'm an aussie and have "The Hobbit" in Finnish...smiley - biggrin

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 109

Orcus

Why?

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 110

It was a birhtday present from a Finnish friend to "encourage" me to learn Finnish...smiley - winkeye

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 111

Orcus

Did it? smiley - winkeye

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 112

a girl called Ben

Well, I have a copy of "Small Gods" in German, and that reminds me to get a copy of it (or another Pratchett) in Swedish. I am sadly and frustratingly monoglot, though. Unless Anglo Saxon counts.

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 113

Well, I was already trying anyway, it just reminded me wat a long way I have to go...smiley - winkeye Finnish is *hard*...smiley - smiley Also, despite being rather of the linguistic persuasion, I'm not very good at learning languages...though picking up a few words and some grammar is no problem, learning enough of it to actually converse in isn't something I've yet been able to master...

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 114

Cloviscat

A frien who went out to live in Denmark bought LotR in Danish. he was fine until he reached "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony" whene he discovered that Strider was called Trevor... it rather ruined the effect!

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 115

roflol smiley - biggrin

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 116

NexusSeven

Did he get to the bits with Kevin the Nazgul, Dwayne the dwarf, the Riders of Ronan and Sheila the giant spider? smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeye

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 117

Orcus

Not to mention Gordon (fka Smeagol)

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 118

Cloviscat

We all had a good chortle at "My name is Trevor, son of Kevin; will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!"

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 119

Orcus

smiley - laugh Son of Trevor, no way!!!!

Was he of the Ancient Line of Elvis first king of Numenor?

'Tolkien boring' shock!

Post 120

Huw'd be loving this...smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post