A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Mullogg

Post 7501

Researcher 556780

Jwf,

As usual you are making me think of things I hadn't previously considered, such as weather extremes having an impact on verbal dialogue of a culture...smiley - biggrin

Mullogg

Post 7502

manolan

So, Gnomon, what's this extinct Aquitaine language?

Made me think of langue d'oc. I find this language intriguing for two reasons:

- it has given it's name to a region of France. Are there other examples of a place being named after a language rather than the other way round? I suppose it might be quite difficult to know definitively in most cases: in this case, they conveniently tacked on the word for language so we knew which came first.

- the language itself is named after the word for "yes". Are there other examples of languages being named after one particular characteristic that they exhibit?

And, at the risk of overloading the brain cells, all that talk about Welsh made me wonder about transliterations. Why, for example, when transliterating their ideograms into latin letters have the Chinese chosen to give the letters values they don't have in (any?) other languages? So, for example, in the currently favoured transliteration, the letter 'q' is pronounced 'ch'. I understand that where the language has evolved using latin letters, we can expect different pronunciations (e.g. English vs French), but why introduce them artificially?

My head hurts now.

Mullogg

Post 7503

manolan

please pardon the misuse of "it's".

Mullogg

Post 7504

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

>> What about flies and mosquitos? <<

Yes those, and sand storms and locusts and typhoons, have had an influence on languages of the warmer climes. To such an extent perhaps that you might think it difficult to convince folks of my theory. Thankfully, words like mow-mow, hula, palm, maui, sunami, voodoo, banana, Tahiti, Sahara, Boa-boa, samurai and monsoon all prove that warmer weather begets softer language.

The clipt harsh consonants of northern european languages are not unique. All round the arctic circle from Russia to Siberia, and among all the various 'Eskimo' cultures, damn near every word ends in a 'K' sound. Inookshook, Inuvik, Taktiaktuk, mukluk, kayak, kodiac, Vladivastok... Where it is K-k-kold, speech is economised. Conversation is curt.

But yes, the Kalahari desert, the Iraqui oil fields and the tropical jungles often have their own causes for staying brief and tight lipped.

Any abrupt consonation in Arabic or Hebrew I would simply put down to a long history of social disorders and bad tempers. And yet, the many Arabic prayers that provide background-audio ambience to recent news reports all seem to have a drawling sing-songy quality on the order of 'moon' and 'June'.

smiley - musicalnote
"Just an old fashioned love song
going down in two part harmony."
smiley - musicalnote

smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

Mullogg

Post 7505

puppylove

hm... maybe you're right. Would be interesting to find out, why!

Warmer climes

Post 7506

Gnomon - time to move on

Pants. Looks out across the snow. Howls at moon:

owoooooooooooooowowowowoowowowOoooo!

smiley - fullmoon

Warmer climes

Post 7507

plaguesville

Down, Rover!

~jwf~ was up to his middle in snow yesterday. Or he would have been if he had been foolhardy enough to venture out.
Please keep any reference to "pants" and "howling" to a minimum, as a mark of respect for his frontier spirit.

Warmer climes

Post 7508

Researcher 556780

smiley - surfer

Warmer climes

Post 7509

A Super Furry Animal

>> Why, for example, when transliterating their ideograms into latin letters have the Chinese chosen to give the letters values they don't have in (any?) other languages? So, for example, in the currently favoured transliteration, the letter 'q' is pronounced 'ch'. I understand that where the language has evolved using latin letters, we can expect different pronunciations (e.g. English vs French), but why introduce them artificially? <<

Yeah, wasn't there a Chinese leader call Deng Xiaoping, pronounced Dung Chowping? So why not just spell it like that?

Warmer climes

Post 7510

Gnomon - time to move on

Perhaps because the pronunciation of "ch" is so varied in European languages:

ch = tsh in English, sh in French, k in Italian, guttural sound in German.

So instead of using something ambiguous to represent the Chinese sound, they just use a letter which is totally unnecessary in the Roman alphabet, the 'q'.

Warmer climes

Post 7511

A Super Furry Animal

Fair enough.

But "Dung" is fairly unequivocal, isn't it?

Warmer climes

Post 7512

Gnomon - time to move on

So the 'e' in 'Deng' is pronounced the same as the e in the English word 'driver', is it?

Warmer climes

Post 7513

A Super Furry Animal

No, the pronunciation of the 'e' in 'driver' is modified by the following 'r'. This would leave us with 'Derng', which doesn't give the correct pronunciation, and is clumsy. Whenever he was mentioned on the (BBC) news, he was definitely a Dung.

Warmer climes

Post 7514

IctoanAWEWawi

well I suppose you could say it is equivalent to inventing a written language for an existing spoken language for the first time. Why should they use the same sounds as any other language?

Warmer climes

Post 7515

>> ..keep any reference to "pants" .. to a minimum <<

Short pants? smiley - winkeye

Fear not, I'm just glad to have provoked any response at all from Gnomon. smiley - biggrin Some day I'll really get his Irish up.

And here's a few more northern Ks:
MurmansK, UK, MosKow, DenmarK, HelsinKi, Coquitlam, YuKon, Stockholm, Kalallit (Greenland), Rekjavik (Iceland), Ikea, Arctic...

And some more southern vowel songs:
bamboo, bayou, punjab, Venezuela, vindaloo, sahib, dunes, Hiroshima, Moors, koala, Kuala Lumpur, Saudi Arabia...

peace
~jwf~

Warmer climes

Post 7516

Gnomon - time to move on

Ukelele. Makarikari Salt Pan. tlatlatilcuahuitl.

Warmer climes

Post 7517

A Super Furry Animal

Popocatapetl. smiley - tongueout

Warmer climes

Post 7518

>> Makarikari Salt Pan <<

The 'salt pan' bit appears to be an English translation of the 'Makarihari' bit, which is probably the local tongue meaning a barren and hostile saline encrusted environment. This, as was suggested earlier, is one of those cases, like sand storms and mosquitoes, where the harshness of the place has been encased in the name.

But please note that these 'depressed badlands' are located in the otherwise balmy Botswana. Say it with me now, slowly, Bawwww-tswawwwnn-nahhhh.

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Warmer climes

Post 7519

You can call me TC

Could Jack Naples help and if so where has he been and where is he?

Warmer climes

Post 7520

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - laugh at ~jwf~

smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post