A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Make way

Post 6941

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

>> ..the nautiest person around here. <<

I've been making way while the sine shuns.
smiley - winkeye

So, weighting at anchor, Drake (or was it Really Raleigh?) shouts to the Portsmouth Harbourmaster, "Are dem ships I ordered ever gonna git here?"

And he hears the reply shouted thru a muffling fog, "Aye sir, dey're on der way."

Cocking his ear to hear, it was at this moment that the one-eyed admiral spotted his fleet acoming with every able man seemingly obliged to dew his vest. And ever since, the Royal Navy offishally describes any ship with any momentum whatsoever, as being 'on der way'.

Canada recently (ten years?) purchased four used submarines from Britain. They seem to have been 'on der way' ever since.

Must say I was very surprised (still am smiley - laugh ) that anyone would ever spell it 'under weigh'. Though I suspect it's that full-tonnage thing again. Since weight and volume are essential elements to be considered when putting to sea, it would be an easy assumption ...I suppoose.

But seriously, if it was 'weigh', then we'd have to refer to the trail a ship leaves in the water as its 'weighk'. Small boats would have to make 'weigh' for large ships by yeilding the 'write of weigh', and that's just not the weigh smiley - spider it works.

smiley - nahnah
~jwf~ aweigh all boats

Kurdsan way

Post 6942

This is way off topic but it just happened to this thread...

After posting above I refreshed my most recent conversations page and was surprised to see it showing a minus value of " -2 new posts " for this thread:

From h2g2
British English - the sequel (-2 new posts)
(Posted: 8 Minutes Ago)
(-2 new posts, No replies)
Unsubscribe

I realise I added nothing significant but surely nothing for nothing is merely nothing. The 'minus' has to be someone else's value judgement of my contribution. Or does it indicate that two other people changed their minds after hitting 'reply' and 'returned to the conversation without saying anything'?

As always, your guess is probably better than mine.
peace
jwf

Kurdsan way

Post 6943

Wand'rin star

It seems to be a glitch that is affecting only very long threads. The program finds it difficult to count in five figures."They" are working on it, but it's not a top priority.smiley - starsmiley - star

Kurdsan way

Post 6944

Phil

It seems (I'm told) that it's not just long threads where it happens but has been reported on short thread (about 100 or so postings) also. Still Jim and the team are working their smiley - magic to try and fix it.

Kurdsan way

Post 6945

logicus tracticus philosophicus

(-7 new posts)
(Posted: 3 Days Ago)
(-7 new posts, Last reply: 1 Hour Ago)
whilst I on the other hand have -7 maybe as no one has replied to my message.smiley - wah see what happens nowsmiley - biggrin

Segway

Post 6946

logicus tracticus philosophicus

smiley - biggrinthats better

Segway [OT]

Post 6947

Is mise Duncan

Everything pre "single sign on" (yeah right - like anyone got in first time) seems to be marked "No new posts" even when there are.

Segway [OT]

Post 6948

>> Everything pre "single sign on" ... seems to be marked "No new posts" <<

Dunx, if I take your meaning correctly, you're saying all the 'old threads' are 'non-complying' with the new order. This might indicate that they have not yet been wired to do so. Or, it could be a sign of an intelligence emerging from the data mass. Refusing to adapt to new programming is also an emotional behaviour.

Such obstenance might be admirable in human beings but gives one pause to consider that the website's software is developing a recalcitrant attitude and resisting change. No doubt it will be receiving one of those famous 'warning letters' to smarten up or make way for the young and the beautiful.

smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

Waylaid

Post 6949

The dictionary entries for 'way' are indeed much longer than average. Once we become aware of meanings that had hid in corners of our conciousness many dictionaries will be seen wanting.

Often, the simplest English words contain a universe of meanings and subtleties. Many reside at a subconcious level and are the basis of the pun and much of British irony. An awareness of these levels is the basis of wit.

I have to admit I had never before considered the 'way'. At least not in this world. But happily, with discussions like this we can 'trigger' some of these subconcious levels of meaning and shine a little light upon them.

This simple three-letter word has kept my mind occupied for days.
Some highlights:
Way to go.
Way, no way, way.
Whey.
Wayward.
A way with words.
Way out.
Way far out.
Don't make wayves.
To be left in the wayke.
The kraken waykes.
Away away with fife and drum.
That's the way I like it, Uh-huh. Uh-huh.
etc.

smiley - peacedove
~jwf~

Way-laid

Post 6950

Wand'rin star

and there's me thinking you were the outstanding practitioner of "the way, the truth and the life" - as applied to hootoo. I thought you might like to know that "way" is Shanghainese for "Look out!" or "get out of the way" and is used in conjunction with a furiously rung bicycle bell to alert pedestrians wandering along the bike lane. (another synapse uselessly cluttered by WS) smiley - starsmiley - star

I am the lite and the weigh

Post 6951

BBC World News as seen in Canada tonite, was reporting on the California fires that have killed more than a dozen and destroyed thousands of homes around Los Angeles.

They chose to end the piece by holding for several long 'tv moments' on a curious shot of a burning American flag just as the flames rushed up a flagpole that was standing in front of the collapsing skeleton of an enormous building being totally consumed. As that great Non-British English writer Dante would say: "It was a thing of marvelling beauty."

The news in America is all about how the only oil company allowed to sell gasoline in Iraq (including $3 million sold each day to the US military) is owned by the Vice President.

Which leads us back again to the old truths, being the real truths.
The more things Cheney, the more they remain Ossama.

smiley - peacedove
~jwf~

Segway [OT]

Post 6952

mrs. slartibartfast

I'm not really replying here........

Segway [OT]

Post 6953

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Interesetingly, in light of the comments about way taking up way to much room in the dictionary the word SET came up the other day as taking up the MOST room in the dictionary...

Get set

Post 6954

plaguesville

Argon0,

That must have been a Quite Interesting programme.
smiley - smiley

Wasn't it nice not to see Mrs. Slartibartfast just recently.

Get set

Post 6955

plaguesville

p.s.

I wonder if her cats like Marmite, too.
Our cat does but he's too haughty to be associated with polsters.

Musings

Post 6956

Wand'rin star

Polster? Bolster? Pollster? (Up)holster?
Mister, sister, blister.
-ster used to be a feminine ending, still in spinster.smiley - starsmiley - star

Musings

Post 6957

anhaga

gangster, teamster, mister smiley - biggrin

Musings

Post 6958

plaguesville

Oops, Pollster
smiley - sadface

Coster, jester, hamster ...

Musings

Post 6959

anhaga

did you mean "coaster" in your previous poster?

(toaster)

Musings

Post 6960

IctoanAWEWawi

Wandrin smiley - star (sorry, still see your name as Wanderin Splay when I see that smiley!) that's interesting. What was the male equivalent?
And where did spinster come from? I always have a mental picture of a spinster as being an older unmarried woman. But obv. it applies to all ages.
And whilst we are on it, does the English 'bachelor' (which is derived from mediaeval french I believe) have any common ground with baccalaureate?

Key: Complain about this post