A Conversation for Ask h2g2

on topic?

Post 2861

Wand'rin star

both he and jwf (and anyone else defining dog days) seem a little close to the wind. We'll pretend we haven't noticed?smiley - star

on topic?

Post 2862

Gnomon - time to move on

Are you Sirius?

on topic?

Post 2863

Kaeori

smiley - dogsmiley - star?

smiley - cappuccino

Busted flush...

Post 2864

Mycroft

Appearances can be deceptive, Kaeori. I've added a link to my list o'links which includes a particularly fine example of Blux merchandising, which I urge the cynics amongst you to visit in the hope that you can be put on the path to recovery from the affliction that is a jaundiced worldview. smiley - biggrin.

On the subject of dog days, I admire John's dogged adherence to the mantra that simplicity is best (if it were true then he would be the best person I know, as he is certainly the simplestsmiley - winkeye), but dog days are related to Sirius. The Romans coined the phrase 'dies caniculares' which referred to those days in July and September when Sirius rises and sets with the sun.

Busted flush...

Post 2865

Gnomon - time to move on

Following Mycroft's link, I find that he was being straight about Blux, although since I have not learned Kanji, Hirogana or Katakana, I can't say what the page represents. So either Mycroft is telling the truth or he has a web-page on a Japanese server which he has quickly set up to fool us all.

Busted flush...

Post 2866

You can call me TC

I could almost believe it's the latter.

Busted flush...

Post 2867

Kaeori

Well, I'd be careful if you're following Mycroft's link. I think my haphazard clicking has led me to purchase a Sony Playstation 2, a year's subscription to 'Hot Blux International', and two tickets to an audience participation show which roughly translates as 'The Sado-Masochistic Link'.smiley - yikes

So, who wants the other ticket?smiley - winkeye

smiley - cappuccino

Yield

Post 2868

Gnomon - time to move on

In Ireland, the triangular road signs have the word "Yield" written on them. In the old days, it was "Yield Right of Way". In the UK, the same signs say "Give Way". Has it always been thus? Did they once bear the legend "Yield Right of Way" as well? If so, when were they changed?

Yesterday I saw a wonder sign which said "Yield to Weaving Cyclists".

Yield

Post 2869

You can call me TC

What poetry!

smiley - laugh

Yield

Post 2870

Wand'rin star

It's always been Give Way in my life time, but further back than that I cannot remember
I like the ones that say "Give way to oncoming traffic" - sometimes at both ends of the narrow bridge. Presumably it's like the rural South African system where the first driver to the crossroads has right of way smiley - star

Yield

Post 2871

Munchkin

I always liked the Channel Islands signs that say "Filter in Turn". In theory this means that one car from each road moves across the junction, when it is their turn. Presumably all it would take is one impatient idiot to move out of turn and the entire weave of Civilisation on Jersey would collapse into anarchy. smiley - winkeye

Yield

Post 2872

Kaeori

Most Americans have to figure out British signs. 'Give Way' didn't seem as obvious to me as 'Yield Ahead', which is what you're likely to find in the US.

I've put a link to US signs on my page, and another link to some humorous road signs.smiley - smiley

smiley - cappuccino

Yield

Post 2873

Is mise Duncan

I was that weaving cyclist! (On the Stillorgan dual carriage way, the cycle lane crosses the turning left filter lane and cyclists have the right of way...a right that you should not exercise as the drivers are usually to busy puzzling out the sign to slow down and let you pass).
More signs of madness include the one on the road to Ballina which bears the legend "No tourist shooting!" which is presumably a post good Friday agreement rule. Also on Sandymount beach there is a sign which states that "People going 20 metres from this sign are at risk of being stranded by the incoming tide". Presumably that means 20m towards the sea smiley - winkeye

What's in a name?

Post 2874

plaguesville

TC (or anyone with equally detailed knowledge)

Why do the Krauts call us Brits "Island Monkeys" (Inselaffe) ?http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1617000/1617445.stm
I think it's quite funny. (I might not when I am better informed.)
There was a BBC TV programme about a town in Kent. A French man who came to England around 1940 opened a garage about 1946. He was known as Johnny Frog and I believe he named the garage accordingly, even though his name was not Jean Grenouille.

Archeology

Post 2875

Solsbury

On reading my copy of the metro on the way to work an article made me think of you guys here.
There has been (or is about to be) an Oford dictionary of Weird and Wonderful Words with entries on words like Wabbit, Snollygosters and deipnosophist. The oldest words it has are Welkin and Weasand in use about 1000 years ago.

Archeology

Post 2876

alji's

Snollygoster, I like that word! Do you know anyone who would fit the description i.e.One, especially a politician, who is guided by personal advantage rather than by consistent, respectable principles.

There is also snallygaster, a mythical beast said to prey on poultry and children.

deipnosophist n : someone skilled at across-the-table chit chat. What about cross-the-web chit chat?

The fair welkin foully overcast. - Spenser. No, I think I'll stick to sky or heaven and weasand sticks in the throat a bit (Weasand - The gullet or throat).

Archeology

Post 2877

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Wabbit as in 'I'll get that wascally wabbit!'?

E. Fudd

Archeology

Post 2878

Solsbury

Not acording to the paper I read smiley - smiley

Archeology

Post 2879

Munchkin

As in "I'm sorry for snapping at you earlier, but I was feeling a bit wabbit."?
Certainly how I've used it.

Archeology

Post 2880

Solsbury

Probably according to the paper smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post