A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

Am I a fool?

Post 81

tacsatduck- beware the <sheep> lie

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish"

Quintilian

And so to try to convince someone that they are a fool by using reasoning in logic or by quoting famous people you just makes yourself a fool

So Just enjoy your foolishness together or what ever you wish to call it (I know I will)

Am I a fool?

Post 82

The Oppressed Pipe of Great Magnitude(Home of 'The Adventures of Wesley Pipes')

mozzer - How can you criticise the home of 'The Adventures of Wesley Pipes'

Am I a fool?

Post 83

mozzer - How can you criticise the home of 'The Adventures of Wesley Pipes'

Am I a fool?

Post 84

glitter-bat

would you like to be considered one? there are a few advantages to be certain, as no one would expect overly much of you. you wouldn't be expected to work too hard and people would let things slip in front of you that they would assume you haven't the brains to understand. also, people would constantly be underestimating you, which would give you the upperhand in almost any situation. of course, to actually be one would be nice, too. ignoance is bliss, fools are ignorant, therefore it must be blissful to be a fool.

Am I a fool?

Post 85

Cryptocardiac

Genealogy of fools, anyone?

Just been listening to Green Day, thought I might add these lines to the deabte:
"Do you have the time
To listen to me whine
About nothing and everything all at once
I am one of those
Melodramatic fools
Neurotic to the bone, no doubt about it"

A v. good example of the self-absorbed, self-referencing, self-aware fool. I see a lot of myself in those lines...

Am I a fool?

Post 86

Cryptocardiac

Oh yeah, just remembered --

"When you call yourself a fool, no-one disagrees with you."

Am I a fool?

Post 87

NMcCoy (attempting to standardize my username across the Internet. Formerly known as Twinkle.)

I am a fool.

Am I a fool?

Post 88

I think the first thing that needs to be put right in your mind is to what the actual question refers.

Am I asking whether you believe me to be a fool or am I inquiring whether you perceive yourself to be a fool?

Am I a fool?

Post 89

Researcher 177402

Foolishness is good for laughing at yourself, which is a good escape from over-self loving, which is bad for your personality.

Am I a fool?

Post 90

magrat

I disagree with you

Am I a fool?

Post 91

Cryptocardiac

I disagree with you. What were you disagreeing to, anyway???

If you diagree with everyone, you've either got very interesting opinions, or you're a fool. In my case, I've got opinions which no-one else shares, thus they all think I am a fool. As a fool I have a speical vantage point where I can look down on everyone. Sometimes I think fools are the most sensible and sane peope in the world.

Am I a fool?

Post 92

Researcher 178815

i AGGREE with you!

fools are the most sensible and sane because it is in the trying not to be foolish and do something wrong, that we DO do something wrong,
Fools don't try this, and therefore most of the time do everything right, although, fools ARE "Fool"ish

Am I a fool?

Post 93

Cryptocardiac

I'm reminded of that loads. I often get this wierd compulsion that everything should be ... *just right*, and if I don't, everyone will laugh at me. But they all do anyway.

Like, how can I recieve change in a shop and still look cool? As if anyone's watching! This stuff obsesses me. Well, it would if I had time to be obssessed. Sometimes i wish I could just throw it all to the winds and let it all hang out. [no, not *that* way...smiley - winkeye]

Am I a fool?

Post 94

Researcher 177402

Psychology, my friend. I Am wise. smiley - biggrin No seriously, people say i know a lot for my age... and a lot more extra just for good measure! smiley - smiley

smiley - coolakasmiley - cool

Am I a fool?

Post 95

Cryptocardiac

Yes, I get that a lot too. Occasionally I make jokes about stuff which none of my peers understand, and I'm forced to ruin the atmosphere by explaining something to them which they weren't interested in hearing anyway. Oh well...

Am I a fool?

Post 96

LokuZ

Crypto, you were _never_ cool smiley - winkeye

I make odd jokes too. Mostly people either don't get them or think I'm an idiot. Or both. I have a very dry sense of humour (even for a 'Brit').

It often fascinates me how people fail to notice obvious idiosyncrasies in others. I see them all the time, especially in myself. Last night, for example, I was at a friend's place and they were chatting online to some people who they see a lot in Real Life (TM), and when I took over typing and used an utterly different style, vocabulary and approach to spelling, they didn't notice whatsoever. Even when I used the words "pragmatism" and "indicative" (two words my friend would never use).

Maybe it's because I'm a writer that I notice things like that.

Am I a fool?

Post 97

Cryptocardiac

Your sense of humour is so dry that the jokes get lost there and die of thirst... smiley - winkeye

Maybe writers do notice stuff that other people don't ... is it a natural disposition, or are we just looking too hard for stuff to scrawl about? Still, there's so much stuff just *there*, in front of us ... the world is truly a fascinating place, especially if you try viewing it through the soul of someoen else...

Ooh, that's inspired me. I think I'll go and do some writing right now...

Am I a fool?

Post 98

Aaron O'Keefe the anti-pajama man (ACE)

And what is it then that. . .then that. . .that then. What exactly is "then?" Is it what was once my "now," so now it is your "then," now? If that be the case then, as I write this now, which is earlier than any time you might read it then, when you read what I have written now is a less "then" than your "then" is to you during your "now," which is a "will be" to your "now" which is a "then" to my "once was." So then, given this logic as sound then, to have your "then" as a "now" and my "now" as a "once was," never can we assume that anything that "once was" "will be" "now." Now then, what was said was that the "now then" "will be" "now" "once and for all" earlier or later than the "then" "now." Depending on your point of view "now" and "then."
So now and then, my point of view has it, that a way of life "then" or even "now" will eventually be a "once was" and passe to all involved both then and now and probably ever will be. Given that, "then" and "now" being earlier than "once was" and "will be" ever, but later than "now and again" and "there once was a guy," any thing that happens in the now will be "then" and then to the "now" and "will be," but a "will be" to the "then" and "once was." Again point of view dependent on what was then a "now" and what even earlier than the now was the "will be." Unfortunately like all good Zen laxatives that to must pass then, and the result is a "then" and a "once was" to the earlier "now" and "will be." Once and for all.

Am I a fool?

Post 99

Is mise Duncan

And still another bumper sticker genius wrote "Nobody can make a fool of you without your consent". So - do you consent to be a fool?

Am I a fool?

Post 100

Cryptocardiac

Sure. As you can never please everyone, when you behave in a certain way you have to accept that there will always be a certain amount of people who will not like you, or your behaviour. So you do set yourself up to be a fool, although this is facilitated by the simple fact that everybody's different. One man's fool is another man's genius...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more