A Conversation for Volunteer to be a Community Artist

Rip Cobalt Arteest at large

Post 1

Rip Cobalt, man of action

Hey there, i have been researcher 214217 for a short while. Well, a day anyway. I am seated in front of a computer in the mid-USA, deep in the dark hollers of the Ozarks.
I have several years experience designing logos for real estate companies that manage great big apartment complexes. Logos that have been made into all sorts of stuff, like upholstery and curtains and carpeting and great big signs to blight the landscape. i am an artist with traditional media since birth. I like to think i never put up the crayons, nor colored inside the lines.

I have artwork in the real world media, and in electronic media. I can animate gifs with ease and make all the typical plug in using stuff, like flash and shockwave.
I have the typical software, so fire away with a test.
Here is a pretest sample of one of my watercolors doctored with Photoshop
http://www.bandpstudios.com/shirts/blues.jpg
here is a gif that does stuff:
http://www.bandpstudios.com/dog.gif
I am now retired in this oak wood paradise and can devote countless hours to the cause.
well, send the test.

Post 2

SEF

Hi Rip!

As you may have read on other threads, Mina normally drops by with a randomised test for potential recruits on Tuesdays. So you have theoretically missed this week's slot. However, lately there seems to be some variability on the precise position of Tuesdays within the week, so who knows... smiley - winkeye

Your stuff is certainly flashy. Despite occasional on-site examples to the contrary, the general rule is not to have animated GIFs. So you shouldn't be called upon to do that much. I have yet to figure out the nature of the exceptions to this rule though. smiley - erm

Hmmm ... an upholstered h2g2 skin ... interesting! smiley - biggrin

Post 3

Mina

Hi there!

As SEF says, I usually recruit artists on Tuesdays (although I did some on a Monday over christmas). I'll be back next week so watch this space! In the meantime you canhave a look round the <./>GuideML-picturelibrary</.> to see the sort of images that we use on h2g2, or have a look at the Community Artists Personal Space, where they list all the work that they have done. U204560

Thanks for volunteering! smiley - ok

Post 4

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Love the Omaha Blues!

Lil
smiley - artist

Post 5

waiting patiently. I have become the stationary variable in most all time-space collusion and two or more body problems. Come get me when you're ready.
I've fired up the old vectorator and begun to experiment in simple shape and color. And got the subfunducter humming, just to confuse the lay public as to my true goal.
Miko, the stationary traveller.smiley - cheers

Post 6

SEF

If you want something to do meanwhile, why not practise the 90x90 pixel circles using single pixel black border within this and anti-aliased and transparented onto the white (#FFFFFF) and goo (#000066) backgrounds as described in the Community Artist info pages (eg A829433). That ended up being rather a long sentence! smiley - online2long

Post 7

thank you, i have viewed the community libraries and a pile of blobs (pile of blobs...eeeewwwww) and see that the work going on is very well done.
The watercolor is Ozarks blues. I am in Missouri, mid-us. At Lake of the Ozarks, the "midwest coast". Since the Osage river got dammed in 1932, it formed a lake with a coastline over 3100 miles..more coastline than California. In fact the outline of the lake on a map is a very dragonish shape.

Post 8

Ok. Here is an example for critique: Editor's pick, Fiber Optics.
http://www.bandpstudios.com/h2g2/

Post 9

SEF

Very colourful - though I had trouble realising it was a cable at first. Also the naming scheme isn't quite right but this is utterly trivial to change! For example: w_fibreoptic_sm.gif would do. smiley - smiley

Post 10

Mina

Hi there! Thanks for volunteering to be a Community Artist. smiley - smiley

To join this volunteer scheme there is an art test. This is because the standard of Edited Entries on h2g2 is very high, and we'd like the illustrations to match this.

I've picked two random Edited Entries using the Infinite Improbability Drive, and I'd like you to do a picture for each of them. You can look in the GuideML-PictureLibrary for the kind of graphics we've used in the past, use the entry for inspiration, and use the internet for research, but make sure that you follow the specifications that you can find on the CommunityArtists-What page. We also don't want to see photographs relied on heavily, or visible in the finished image, as we'd like to see your drawing style, not a photographic montage. We'd like to see all the images, although only the main one will be used, as these entries have already had their day on the Front Page.

Once they are done, let me know by Posting to this thread, and I'll give you the details to send them into us. If your pictures meet the Editorial standards then not only will you become a Community Artist, but your test pictures will be blobbed and added to the entries.

Your entries are:

A592805 - Looking Sober when Drunk
A311329 - 'Bottom' - the TV Series

Feel free to ask questions, and good luck.

NB: The same rules of copyright apply to images as to text. If you are in any doubt as to what this means, please ask.

Post 11

Mina

Hi there,

How are things going?

Post 12

Mina

I'll remove these from the list. Let me know if you want to try again in the future. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post