This is the Message Centre for Hypatia

New Year's Ramblings

Post 61

Hypatia

Mr. D, you and Mrs D are always welcome at my humble abode.

I've been to Bartlesville many times. smiley - biggrin One of my aunts lived there for most of my life. And I love to go to Woolaroc. We used to take the turnpike to the Vinita exit and then pick up 60.

Yea!!! I feel a mini-meet coming on. smiley - magic

Lady C is in Mt. Hope which is on 96 about half way between Wichita and Hutchinson.

New Year's Ramblings

Post 62

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Is St. Louis where the big arch is?

New Year's Ramblings

Post 63

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - ok
Right-O, Lil! It's a pretty interesting sight to cruise into town on I70 or I44 or come up on I55 and see that parabolic structure rising up into the city skyline.
smiley - lighthouse
Our two boys live over there. No. 1 Son, I----, works there and goes to college as time permits. He got married last September to a marvelous gal, A----, and are raising a fine young daughter, M----.
smiley - hug
No. 2 Son, R----, goes to UMSL and bartends and does housing maintenance as a sideline. He's into archealogy and anthropology, and went on a dig near Lima, Peru, at the Temple of the Moon this last summer.
smiley - moon
St Louis is an exciting little town of about 3 million people, in the city proper and the surrounding metropolitan area. The traffic can be a bugger at times, but you can usually find a way around it if you take an exit to skirt the stalls. Places of interest include:
Plenty of museums
The St Louis Science Center
The enormous St Louis Zoosmiley - antsmiley - bluefishsmiley - pandasmiley - dragon
Lots of places to hear jazz or other musicsmiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnote
The Botanical Garden (as Hypatia noted)smiley - cheerup
Touristy stuff like Union Station downtown (an indoor/outdoor train station historical themed mall)
The Butterfly House on the west side near Faust Park and the mall Cahokia Mounds historic Indian site
Ted Drew's Frozen Custard serves up 'concrete'
Forest Park (site of the World's Fair in 1904)
The Gateway Arch (who could forget the US's westward expansion?)
An Historic Aircraft Restoration museumsmiley - mod
The Scott Joplin Museumsmiley - musicalnotesmiley - musicalnote
Kemp Auto Museum
The Old Cathedral (Basilica of St. Louis, King of France)
Memorials for Lewis & Clark and of Sacajawea
The St. Louis Mercantile Library at UMSLsmiley - book
SayersBrook Bison Ranch
The World Aquarium at City Museumsmiley - schooloffish
Frank Lloyd Wright House in Ebsworth Park
Dozens of wineries and microbreweriessmiley - redwinesmiley - stout
smiley - cheers
All this and more can be found at:
http://www.explorestlouis.com/attractions/results.asp?Section=2&PageType=4),&expand=242
smiley - magic
B4igetelected2headuptheplanningforaMeet
smiley - cool

New Year's Ramblings

Post 64

smiley - erm
"Cahokia Mounds historic Indian site" should have been given due status on its own line of text. Sorry for the botched cut'n'paste job.
smiley - rolleyes
B4myeditorsmacksmyhandswitharuler
smiley - doh

New Year's Ramblings

Post 65

Lady Chattingly

Emee, we have lived in the same house, same small town for over forty years. We go to Hutch occasionally, but do most of our shopping in Wichita. We are now fifteen minutes from a good shopping area in Wichita. It takes a bit longer to get to Hutch.

As Hyp already told you, our aunt lived in Bartlesville for many years. Her husband and his twin brother owned the IGA store downtown by the tower built by Frank Lloyd Wright. We had many good times in Bartlesville. Woolaroc was always a favorite place to go and close enough to us for a day trip.

New Year's Ramblings

Post 66

Lady Chattingly

Hyp, you have eyeballs. Are you here? smiley - biggrin

New Year's Ramblings

Post 67

Hypatia

I usually have eyeballs when I'm at work. That doesn't mean I'm actually here. I just leave it on all day. smiley - smiley

New Year's Ramblings

Post 68

Hypatia

Someday when I'm rich I'm going to pay for a River Meet. We'll start out in Kansas City and float down the Missouri River to the Mississippi, stopping in Jefferson City to tour the capitol building, which is really quite nice. In St. Louis we'll all go to a Cardinals game then charter one of the paddlewheelers and steam down to New Orleans. We might make a detour up the Ohio to Cincinnati to collect the vice president. smiley - biggrin We'll have barbecue in Kansas City then stop in Memphis for more barbecue. Should take about 10 days.

New Year's Ramblings

Post 69

broelan

Ooh, a floating meet! How fun would that be!

Another fun place to have a meet would be Hannibal. There'd be enough there to fill up a day or two.

As for St Louis, when thinking of things that might be fun to do at a meet, it's worthwhile to note that after March for the next three (or more, heavy emphasis on the 'more') years most of highway 40 will be shut down for reconstruction. Traffic will be worse, and some things directly on highway 40 (like Forest Park) will be a little harder to access. There's lots of things to do that aren't on 40, though, and there's always Metrolink.

An idea for a southwest meet: there are lots of little towns on what's left of Route 66 that wouldn't be terribly expensive but would still offer some of the old attractions. smiley - ok

Must go add Hannibal to my list of 'things to write an entry on' smiley - run

New Year's Ramblings

Post 70

Leo

smiley - bigeyes A floating meet! I might even show up! what we float on - Huck Finn style rafts or tubes or canoes or modern rafts...?

I rather fancy the Huck Finn raft. I think I even have a corncob pipe around somewhere. smiley - biggrin

New Year's Ramblings

Post 71

Hypatia

Nope. I need my creature comforts. Not as young as I used to be. I am thinking of real boats. smiley - smiley

Leo, you have always struck me more as the QE2 type than the raft type. smiley - silly

New Year's Ramblings

Post 72

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Oo, Tom's been talking off and on of wanting to do a road trip sometime, and Sedona would be (realistically, since driving direction sites never take into account pitstops and eating and suchsmiley - winkeye) a 2-3 days' drive--maybe less, since I *am* going to get my license this time, and I'll have to by April...

Of course, the best time for us would be summer, since I work for the school district, and it'd be a wee bit warm for a meetsmiley - groan So never mind my wafflingsmiley - tongueout

*is annoyed she's not the Mrs. P referred to earlier, unless there's something she doesn't know aboutsmiley - bigeyes*

New Year's Ramblings

Post 73

Hypatia

Hi Amy. smiley - smiley Mrs. P is Phred's wife. They were going to try to make the London Meet on their way to Rome, but alas it isn't possible.

Does everyone like the idez of a meet somewhere in the Southwest, then? Sowe need to set a date. And an actual location. There are lots of great places in the Southwest. I'd love to see Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde.

If summer is the best time for the rest of you, then I'll try to make it. Summer is very busy for me at work, so it is always going to be hard for me to schedule vacation time. And since I'm taking 3 weeks off in April/May, it will be doubly hard. But it might be possible. Depending on how late in the summer.

New Year's Ramblings

Post 74

smiley - erm
Well, there goes my opportunity out the window...again. I've use up all my vacation time for a two-week stint at the end of June. A---- and I will attend a biblical teaching seminar (Advanced Class) in New Knoxville, Ohio, sponsored by our ministry headquarters. I'll be content to wait until next year, or do a mini-meet with Hyp and/or a few other 'locals' in MO.
smiley - biggrin
B4theneighborrealizesI'musinghiswirelessinternetconnection
smiley - cool

New Year's Ramblings

Post 75

Leo

Would her majesty the ship fit on the Missourah river? smiley - bigeyes I like swimming pools. (Though why anyone would need one while floating down a river I don't know...)

New Year's Ramblings

Post 76

Hypatia

The river is much too shallow for a ship. smiley - sadface

B4, perhaps you and A could join Lady C and me at RenFest in KC. smiley - smiley Could even be a day trip.

New Year's Ramblings

Post 77

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

smiley - doh Don't worry about scheduling anything for summer, unless it works best for someone else--I've just realized that there's no way we could afford the gas for that long a tripsmiley - sadface

If anyone wants to come up this way, though, and see lots of redwoods, we've a futon and a queen sized air mattresssmiley - smiley

New Year's Ramblings

Post 78

broelan

Summer wouldn't be good for me (not that it should be anyone else's deciding factor), because we already have the first two weeks of August booked for our trip to Greece.

October might be nice, the leaves should start changing colors about then and would make for a nice drive. Arizona would probably be a little far for me to try and make in a weekend, too. Eastern New Mexico, maybe - Google maps tells me Tucumcari is about a 12 hour drive.

New Year's Ramblings

Post 79

tartaronne

smiley - lurksmiley - envy

*Studies maps intensely*

I don't think I listened during Geography lessons when we reached US smiley - erm

So many meets are being planned. I'll try for the spring London meet and the Nordic meet in Lund, Sweden, at the 22nd of June. The Nordic researchers have been holding Milla to her half-promises of a house warming party after a rebuild of their house. smiley - biggrin.

Key: Complain about this post